Is there actual difference between Mesa Rectifier Models?

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
Hi everyone!
What is the actual difference between Dual, Triple and Road King rectifiers?
And can you simulate it on the AX3 Recto models?

Thank you and have a great day!

We have recto 1 (2 channel, older) and recto 2 (newer, 3 channel). We have Lonestar (like some channels of the roadster, not that you asked on that one, but it's like a baby road king).
We also have Thordendal models which perhaps are less actuate, but also based on the rectifier.

Road king is a beast, you might be able to swap around power amp tubes from other rectos, or try play with the triple crown for some of the unique sounds this amp sounds.

Hi everyone!

I'm sure you're already aware, but a Dual Rec is 100w, while a Triple is 150. I've heard people say a Dual is a little more aggressive while the triple is more open, but I'm sure that's the kind of answer you ran into already. Road King is 4 channels vs 3 on the others, and is sort of the "big daddy" of the bunch. One of the selling points of the RK used to be the multi watt ability, but the newest incarnation of the Dual and Triple have that as well. I've got a newer Dual (for sale!) and it's a great amp.

I just looked and the RK has the ability to match each channel with one of five different power amp sections in the amp. Neat!

Fluff on yt has done some Rectifier shootouts, I believe. You can check them out for some comparisons, but generally speaking, the older 2 channel rectos are quite a bit rougher sounding, while the newer ones have a smoother distortion to them. I dont know much about the "Rev F vs Rev G" type stuff, but it can be quite the rabbit hole, by the looks of it.

Furthermore, I have no idea how any of this correlates to the AF3 models. I wish you the best of luck.

But what do you do when it's a moderator that brought the snark?

I’m not “untouchable” as a moderator. But I’m also participating as a forum member. I’ve thousands of forum posts to account for that, helping others. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. If critism is fair, I’ll act accordingly. Or another moderator will intervene. I’m human.

Last edited:
But what do you do when it's a moderator that brought the snark?

Can’t tell you too much about the rect-toes other than I think they’re incredible models.

FWIW- Less drama seems to work well here.

Direct, honest and polite works well … You’ll be amazed how far it takes you here.
You kind of get out of it what you put into it.

I had a Dual Recto, and it got that one thunderous tone they are know for In spades, though it didn’t really cover as much ground as I needed. The Road King, specifically the Road King II, did a better job. Four completely separate channels with three modes each, plus programmable power tube selection and individual reverb controls per channel, and more made it all the real tube amp I needed for a gig. Weighed a ton as a 2x12 combo, but the sound was worth the sweat. I still have it in the music room to this day.

Ok ok ok everybody. Look, basically every model of Recto is a little bit different. They are constantly screwing with the EQ and voicing of the amp over the years. But at the end of the day, with a few exceptions, it's a zillion variations of the same sound and formula. Set the knobs a little differently, use an input boost a little differently, or shape it with EQ to whatever. Finding out the exact difference between a road king and a triple recto is kind of a hassle. There are too many Recto options in the box as it is - find one in the ballpark, and use the many, many methods the Axe3 has to shape the tone.

Last edited:
Don't forget about the 50 watt Single Rectifier Solo and Rectoverb models as well. I had a Rectoverb combo years ago and liked it. A little lacking in clean headroom and the woofy low end was tough to dial out at times, but otherwise a nice amp. The parallel FX loop was completely useless and it got rewired quick.

There's also the Tremoverb which was a 2 channel Dual Recto with built in tremolo and reverb.

If you don't disclose information such as "I've searched the forum or googled but can't find a clear answer", it's impossible for those reading to know what you have or haven't done prior to posting. I thought @yek's reply was more clever and tongue-in-cheek than snarky. There are numerous questions posted on the forum that a simple google search would answer. Another case of offense is taken, not given.

Hi everyone!

Check Leon Todd's YT channel (2112 here in the forum). He has some great videos that talk about Mesa amps (both real life and the Fractal models), although I don't believe he's ever discussed the Road King. All I know about the Road King is that JP used them somewhere around the mid 2000s (Train of Thought/Octavarium timeframe).

You want the mesa boogie forum, though the question has been answered over the last 10 years and theoretically shouldnt be too hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom