Wish Super Beatle

Need more Vox amp models in general. Would love an AC100, AC50, AC10, AC4, Super Beatle. Seems strange to me there's a million Fender and Marshall models but barely any Vox.
I really like the ones we have though! Sooner of my favorites!

That said, OT, the Beatles' guitar tones aren't really me, or what I do with the Axe Vox amps, but they are awesome, and really hard to cop. Mentioning the Super Beatle just got me thinking...

I really like the ones we have though! Sooner of my favorites!

That said, OT, the Beatles' guitar tones aren't really me, or what I do with the Axe Vox amps, but they are awesome, and really hard to cop. Mentioning the Super Beatle just got me thinking...
IIRC, a recent article I read claimed Jimmy Page was running Super Beatles through Ricky Transonic cabs for a number of early Zep tracks....

Alot of us used Solid State back in the day...here's one I had:

View attachment 74915
All the Sunn amps were solid state I think, including the big ones.

The Beatles tones I'm thinking about aren't overdriven, but they're really unique, for instance the opening chords of I'm Happy Just To Dance With You. Just chords, but I have no idea how to sound like that, or the faster chords in the verses. I don't have a Country Gentleman or a Rick though, probably part of it.

Last edited:

The Beatles tones I'm thinking about aren't overdriven, but they're really unique, for instance the opening chords of I'm Happy Just To Dance With You. Just chords, but I have no idea how to sound like that, or the faster chords in the verses. I don't have a Country Gentleman or a Rick though, probably part of it.
Also don't discount the studio and recording...from the room to the mics to the board to the tape...all of that contributes to the sound you hear on those recordings.

is cool.

If I had a time machine, I would LOVE to go back and hear them in the studio with my own ears.
(but not in '69 when this would make me gouge out my ears!(jump to 32:21) )

The Vox Beatle in the Axe-Fx III and FM3 factory cabs still sounds great to me. That cab has a legacy too: ex Aerosmith ex The Knack. It was reportedly used to record "My Sharona". Also, don't miss the AC5 cab by Traynor/Santiago.

Agreed. I use the Top Boost model too much, it's just so good. I haven't messed with the AC15 very much yet.
My main Vox preset these days is the AC15, really love that grainy thickness.

I usually have four scenes with increasing levels of gain, and it is a bit tricky to get that last most gained up one rockin without it just being a mess, but I'm pretty happy with it now. Used a bit of negative feedback to tighten it up, if I remember right. Sacrilege I know, but I like it :)

My main Vox preset these days is the AC15, really love that grainy thickness.

I usually have four scenes with increasing levels of gain, and it is a bit tricky to get that last most gained up one rockin without it just being a mess, but I'm pretty happy with it now. Used a bit of negative feedback to tighten it up, if I remember right. Sacrilege I know, but I like it :)

One tip here is to make sure that the most "gainy" one is also LOUDER. EQ can also contribute to something being what you call "rockin"

Yeah I agree the rickenbacker was key to that sound.
Thanks
Pauly

Quite a few SUNN tube amps, actually. My friend and former bassist has an original Model T, which is a tweaked Fender Bassman circuit with four 6550s making probably 150-200W. Would love to have one modeled in the amp list....

Back
Top Bottom