Decent guitar and amp?

Harm

Experienced
Hi all,

a colleague decided that since I am a good guitarist with great sound(axe duh)and the same taste in music thatI am the go-to guy for advice.
He likes rock,Petrucci etc, you het the picture. Now here we go: he has NO gear and NO skills so far. As far as I know he has an acoustic he sometimes rambles on.
He asked me advice for a lead guitar set for a buget of 1000 euros. yes, guitar AND amp have to come out of that budget.
He seems to linger towards Ibanez for guitar.
any thoughts? Advice?
Thanks in advance, Harm

I would recommend a Shecter guitar.
For $900.00 US dollars you could buy a Schecter Hellraiser C-1. I own one, and it’s a great guitar for the money. I would spend most of the budget on a good guitar, and the rest on a cheaper amplifier, especially for a beginner. Have a great day! 😀🎸

I'd agree on allocating more $ towards a guitar that feels good in hands so you're inspired to learn and continue to play. Amps are so cheap nowadays, esp the endless choices of digital amps that would be perfect for a beginner. I'll never forget the moment i first picked up kramer nightswan in the store and it was that Wayne and Garth ....oh yes, i will have you ' moment. For an amp, yamaha THR or boss katana even a *cough cough line 6. Don't lynch me.

I'd say buy the guitar and no amp to start. An amp can always be got later when you have developed a sense of rhythm and you are wanting to play leads. But you have got to get a good sense of time and strumming your way through songs is absolutely fine unplugged.

I'd say buy the guitar and no amp to start. An amp can always be got later when you have developed a sense of rhythm and you are wanting to play leads. But you have got to get a good sense of time and strumming your way through songs is absolutely fine unplugged.

I get your point, but that is not what be wants. Not very motivating either, I would think. Good sound makes you practice more

He needs to try a lot of guitars and choose the one thats most comfortable. A roland cube 30 or boss katana etc are affordable useful starter amps.

He can spend half that and be up and running.

I endorse this. Get him a Boss Katana and a cheapo Ibanez, as that is what he wants, and he is set.

In the end you only know what to get once you know what your needs are. And that will depend on getting some experience first. I was lucky though that when I started out my father decreed that I should get a cheap guitar, a LP knockoff, but a good amp. In this case a Fender Twin Reverb. Because he reasoned that if were to quit it would at least retain its value. It sucked for doing distorted tones, so I never got into the habit of pushing already dirty amps with boosts into into overdrive, but for cleans it gave me a lifetime lust for Fender tones. Still have that Twin Reverb though. I will never part with it and I plan to be buried in it.

Thanx guys. I was kinda hoping to show off my axe 2 and lure him into buying that from me ( for more than 1000 though) so I can order my axe 3....lol
The ibanez gio decent enough?

A great guitar and the promise of an amp down the line sounds pretty motivating to me. I have taught guitar on and off for 25plus years and anyone that is going to succeed has it within, in fact if they don't they won't even learn to play anything of note. Even with a teacher your still on your own with it 99%.

Axe FX for a beginner would be terribly confusing and distracting. You want dead simple when starting out. The focus should be on the guitar and technique. Gotta build the house before you start picking out your wallpaper. A majority of good tone comes from the player.

Thanx guys. I was kinda hoping to show off my axe 2 and lure him into buying that from me ( for more than 1000 though) so I can order my axe 3....lol
The ibanez gio decent enough?
So not helping him then. Ibanez with no trem and definitely not your axe droppings.

Nooo lol. I wasn’t serious about the axe. I’m not selling that to someone who is just picking up a guitar. That is why I said LOL at the end. About the gio: well my rule is also always not to biy a cheap guitar with trem. On the other hand I bought an rg 20 years ago for 100 bucks. Always in tune. Hence the question.

Tell him to look for an RG321. Fixed bridge, has the look, entry level guitar. Explain what a setup is and set him up with your tech. Help him find a teacher.

Axe FX for a beginner would be terribly confusing and distracting. You want dead simple when starting out. The focus should be on the guitar and technique. Gotta build the house before you start picking out your wallpaper. A majority of good tone comes from the player.

The Katana is probably already confusing enough for a beginner as it is.

The Katana is probably already confusing enough for a beginner as it is.

It has the controls on the face, no? If you can use a smartphone you can use a katana.

Another option is the fender mustang amp (a ii or iii would suffice).

Well he came to my house yesterday. He is going to up the budget and buy a decent Ibanez hsh with floyd. I own 4 ibanez guitars: a jem7v, a js1200, a preium with hh and fixed bridge and an older rg450L. I told him the pros and cons. Told him to look at other brands too but he was adamant. I am a leftie, so letting him really test something at my place wasn’t really happening. There is an Ibanez dealer at a 10min drive so that is where he will go as soon as they open. Ampwise I told him to look at a katana or rolad cube. I owned acube once so I could say something sensible about that. He did ask me if my axe was for sale. I advised against it. I do think the katana will be complex to start with, but a normal amp will make him have to (want to) buy effects too. My final advise was: buy a good guitar and ampwise: test, test, test and only buy when you are content with the sound as it is. Do not buy and think you will tweak it later to your liking. He will let me know if he needs more advice or when he bought something. All you folks thanks for the input.
Harm

It has the controls on the face, no? If you can use a smartphone you can use a katana.

Another option is the fender mustang amp (a ii or iii would suffice).

Additional controls = additional confusion for people not used to them. Doesn't matter if they know how to use a smartphone. The guy is a beginner after all. There's a reason why even on this forum most people don't tend to mess with the deeper parameters.

Back
Top Bottom