Wish More Looper block memory slots

As the unit was designed with a finite amount of non-volatile memory and no provision for external storage, don’t see how a wish like this could work short of a totally new hardware unit.....

Rather than just calling the Looper "weak" and underdeveloped maybe add some details to clarify the features you would like to see...
Sure — here goes:

SuperLooper Block

1) “MultiLoop” — four individual loops that can be recorded and then played back “on the fly”: verse1, chorus, bridge, verse2, something like that?

2) “Loop Copy/Paste/Delete” to support above between the four, with the ability to overdub on top of a copied/pasted loop.

3) “Playback Stack”: if Loop1 is playing, the ability to choose the next loop to be automatically played when Loop1 completes the pass it’s currently playing. If no “next loop” is selected, have Loop1 continue to loop playback.

4) “Stop” — an actual STOP command in addition to existing “transport” commands.

Full MIDI implementation of the above, please.

This would be a good start towards creating a performance-ready block. I’d gladly give up some of the existing 5mins. “total time” (and CPU, for that matter) for increased functionality. Doesn’t have to be feature crazy — just the equal of your typical sub-$200 stomp box. As I’ve previously said, I’d gladly fork over that $200 for an “in-app purchase” to help satisfy my Ginger Geezer Fantasies WITHOUT having to resort to an outboard unit.

^^^
FWIW — recognizing that the FM3 might not have the CPU to support it (and that FAS might prefer to spend their development $$ on “shared features”) this SuperLooper Block could be another differentiator between the AFX3 and the FM3...

+1
Just having the basic controls modifiable and scene controllable would be a quantum jump forward. I can’t use the block at all with the way it is now.

Just having the basic controls modifiable and scene controllable would be a quantum jump forward. I can’t use the block at all with the way it is now.
Overall I find it easier to have an external device for looping.

A typical Boss looper works okay. But for songs that don't vary overmuch, I think Ableton Live is the hot tip. You can pre-program loops that correspond to different song-sections (Verse, Chorus, etc.). Live sends out Midi Clock to other devices when needed, which is fine for synths with arpeggiators and whatnot...but you can also put scene-change commands into the MIDI output of various loops. That way, instead of having to hit BOTH the "Play This Loop" button (for Live) and then the "Scene X" button afterwards, which is a hassle, you just hit the "Play This Loop" button to make Live start playing the Chorus section, and the Axe FX changes to the appropriate scene automatically.

I think the point here is that the AFX3 does everything it attempts so superbly — except for the Loop block. We’ve got the best sound, the best feel, the best build quality and by far the most flexibility to replace EVERY aspect of a performance guitar/instrument rig — but the existing Looper is entry-level at best.

I agree that having an outboard PC running AbletonLive would be a kick-ass solution — if buying more gear and lugging it around was desirable. Performance “live looping“ is becoming as much an art form as playing any instrument, and what is undeniably the world’s best guitar rig deserves a looper commensurate with the quality level of everything else it does.

I will have to read the thread again and extract the wishes from it, but David Torn posted some thoughts on what his ideal looper would look like on TGP. The thread is titled "Looping for Guitarists: An Open Letter to FX Manufacturers".

Oh yes, a very interesting Thread! For sure there are many more features that could/should be implemented. I like to look to the Mobius Plugin as a Reference. I once built a Live setup with a RJM Mastermind and a Laptop running Mobius but gave up after too much instability. Love the all-inclusive approach of the Axe-Fx!

I'm not a big looper user other than for a very simple (but very often used) use-case for patch tweaking - so, since adding these requested features would likely increase CPU usage of an already intensive CPU block, I would suggest an added feature of having a very simple "mini cpu mizer looper block mode" which facilitates recording and playing back a short loop without all the other features.

Loopers have unique hardware requirements, i.e. lots of memory. General-purpose guitar processors like the Axe-Fx don't need the amounts of memory that loopers require and adding that memory for a single effect would increase costs, probably considerably. Furthermore the processors used in products like the Axe-Fx are limited in the amount of memory they can address. The DSP used in the Axe-Fx III is the most powerful commercial DSP available but it's still limited in it's memory address space.

Also, most loopers trade off bit-depth and sample rate for loop time.

Therefore you're unlikely to ever find a multi-effect that has the loop time and features as a dedicated looper.

If I were to make a dedicated looper I probably wouldn't use a DSP but something like an ARM with a lot of external address space. There isn't really much audio processing required, it's mostly memory access.

Ok got it! Do you also think that dividing those 5 Minutes of Stereo Loop into three Tracks with 3x3.5 Minutes Mono and Routing those three Mono Tracks to individual Outs would require more than the Axe-Fx can deliver? Thanks!

Loopers have unique hardware requirements, i.e. lots of memory. General-purpose guitar processors like the Axe-Fx don't need the amounts of memory that loopers require and adding that memory for a single effect would increase costs, probably considerably. Furthermore the processors used in products like the Axe-Fx are limited in the amount of memory they can address. The DSP used in the Axe-Fx III is the most powerful commercial DSP available but it's still limited in it's memory address space.

Also, most loopers trade off bit-depth and sample rate for loop time.

Therefore you're unlikely to ever find a multi-effect that has the loop time and features as a dedicated looper.

If I were to make a dedicated looper I probably wouldn't use a DSP but something like an ARM with a lot of external address space. There isn't really much audio processing required, it's mostly memory access.
If FAS made a dedicated looper that intergrated easily with Axe-Fx III and could use the FC-12 for control I would buy it.

how would it integrate? what would happen?
I am envisioning a rack unit that used the FC-12 (or FC-6) to control the looper functions, much like the looper block does today, but would provide more advanced looping functions and would have MIDI sync capability. I currently use a Infinity Looper with the AXE-FX but would prefer control to be with the foot switches on the FC-12 which is not currently possible AFAIK.

how would it integrate? what would happen?
I'm not radioguy, and this is mostly daydreaming:
  • Rackmount 1 U
  • Connects to AxeFX via USB
  • Connects to computer via USB
  • Has SD card slot... load/save sounds, expand storage (hours of recording time!)
  • Can record/play multiple tracks (configuration via Axe Edit)
  • Standalone (more expensive) version has a lot of knobs and a few expression pedal ins and independent stereo outs
  • Integrated version only has ports for USB, SD and power - all other routing goes through Axe-FX (and FC-6 or 12 sends commands to AxeFX which in turn sends to looper.
Feel free to add to my list or point out anything that doesn't make sense!

Back
Top Bottom