FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

Is the development/bug fix "delay" because Cliff has delegated FM3 duties to other personnel than himself while he focuses mainly on the flagship Axe? It must not be a "simple" fix. I wonder how long they wait to release a FM3 Mk2 with updated hardware. I imagine there is a delicate dance ahead because a lot of us owners would be a little upset if it came out in 2021.
There are no plans for a MKII. The engineers are focused on the firmware, not providing updates to social media.

Well, I have to tell, the only freezing I ever experienced was:

a) using a bad USB-B cable (actually it's working fine for a printer, but not FM3 weirdly, swapped for a quality one and never had I issues with it again)
b) some strange corruption after FW update, that got resolved by clearing everything to defaults and starting with the presets from scratch

We'll see after the second unit has arrived, how it behaves and if there is something else that may be HW related? The first I own is a non-HP version from January or so.

I'm just wondering if anyone tried to roll back to some really old FW version and clear everything from the FM3 and then just see what happens. Because if it happens since a specific version, it can be probably tracked back to some changes :)

Also, isn't there some kind of battery in the FM3, that would keep some info in a CMOS memory? It would sound logical to me, if the FM3 remembers my settings after reboot. Getting the battery our may reset some things, but may also remove something from the non persistent memory. Just my guess on what else could help if Cliff has no problems with his unit.

Also, isn't there some kind of battery in the FM3, that would keep some info in a CMOS memory? It would sound logical to me, if the FM3 remembers my settings after reboot. Getting the battery our may reset some things, but may also remove something from the non persistent memory. Just my guess on what else could help if Cliff has no problems with his unit.

There is no need for a battery. Settings can be stored on permanent storage and read at boot time.

I know FAS is working hard on this BUT the issue is that everyone waited a year just to get this and now a lot of people cannot use it live or otherwise because of multiple issues and are waiting (again) on a fix. I do trust FAS will come thru soon and start updating FM3 on a regular basis just like my AX3.

I keep reading this thread. I'm not sure why because I find it annoying.

Are there really "a lot" of people who can't (won't) use their FM3 because they're "afraid" something might go wrong? I'd hazard to guess there are some issues on the Fractal end and a WHOLE BUNCH of user errors or external equipment failures.

I know FAS is working hard on this BUT the issue is that everyone waited a year just to get this and now a lot of people cannot use it live or otherwise because of multiple issues and are waiting (again) on a fix. I do trust FAS will come thru soon and start updating FM3 on a regular basis just like my AX3.
Let's remember that there are a LOT of FM3 out there, and that the ones who are talking about the problem are right here, which is a very small portion of the units released. Most users never even sign into the forum. So, it's not "a lot of people", it's "a few people".

Also, the percentage of times that they've been able to use the unit without a problem far outweighs the occasional times it's crashed; If that were not so then we'd be able to replicate the problem immediately and would already have a fix. So anyone who is afraid to use their unit live should be chiming in with how to replicate it, otherwise use it, count how many times it crashes during rehearsal then decide whether it's reliable.

I'd rather use my FM3 than my Helix, hands down. The Helix is an older and more expensive product that's had a lot more updates and it'll still lock up occasionally, and mine is currently in the shop because its LEDs are acting up. Besides, it doesn't sound as good. :)

Tossing wild blanket statements does no good; keep it in perspective please.

Last edited:
I’m happily using my FM3 for the few rehearsals and gigs current conditions present with no apparent problems. Still, reading ‘fixed for next release’ on various bugs and not seeing a release can be a head scratcher after a while.

Is the development/bug fix "delay" because Cliff has delegated FM3 duties to other personnel than himself while he focuses mainly on the flagship Axe? It must not be a "simple" fix. I wonder how long they wait to release a FM3 Mk2 with updated hardware. I imagine there is a delicate dance ahead because a lot of us owners would be a little upset if it came out in 2021.
Spinning conspiracy theories won't help, they just fan rumors, and irritate the admins.

I’m happily using my FM3 for the few rehearsals and gigs current conditions present with no apparent problems. Still, reading ‘fixed for next release’ on various bugs and not seeing a release can be a head scratcher after a while.
I agree it can be frustrating, but there are problems with releasing updates prematurely or on a schedule too.

Potential fixes have to be vetted by the developers, then beta testers. If a "fix" is released that was supposed to deal with a problem that didn't appear in the smaller beta pool, but suddenly reappears in the general users, then people throw their hands in the air yelling even more. I was working in software development for over 30 years and unreproducible bugs can be insidiously difficult to track down.

I'd rather they release when they know the problem and the real fix. I can toggle the power switch in the meantime.

Definitely. And if they're normal developers they're putting in well over 8 hour days already. Software developers tend to have a fierce case of product-ownership.
Mine works fine although I would love to see updates moving along quicker than they are BUT lets not forget about the customer that spent the hard earned cash for this and supported FAS as I have for over a decade now.

They just wants things in order as advertised. I doesn't really matter how many are having issues and how many are not. I do know its more than just the people posting here. I'm sure customers are contacting FAS by email or phone.

I'm also sure the firmware update is coming very soon and it will be awesome.

Spinning conspiracy theories won't help
It’s not a conspiracy theory to state that Cliff has been letting others handle FM3 programming, he’s said as much himself. And it’s not a stretch to say that since this forum represents a small fraction of FM3 users, there are probably a great many users with these problems out there.

It’s not a conspiracy theory to state that Cliff has been letting others handle FM3 programming, he’s said as much himself. And it’s not a stretch to say that since this forum represents a small fraction of FM3 users, there are probably a great many users with these problems out there.
I think he was referring to the part about FM3 mkII...

Back
Top Bottom