FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

I understand that some proplems are hard to be tracked down and then fixed properly. Working in software development myself I can image what you're going through right now. But I'd advise to be more transparent.

There have been 2 months since the last release and almost 2 weeks since the last life sign by BryantP.
I don't say that you should rush out a fix - take your time, fix it properly. But just let us know about the progress. I am 100% sure you are working very hard on a fix and I don't need an exact date. Maybe let us know, when you give out a new build for beta testers and so on. With the Axe-FX III putting out release after release, it just feels there is (almost) no love for the FM3 from Fractal. I know it's not true, but then...

Currently I don't gig because of the pandemic, but there are people using one of the scarce oportunities to perform live. And if the device fails at one of those shows it's very frustrating. But I am looking forward to my next gig, hopefully in 2021, maybe with my FM3 ;)

TL;DR I am absolutely sure you will fix the issues, just be a little more transparent with us.

I understand that some proplems are hard to be tracked down and then fixed properly. Working in software development myself I can image what you're going through right now. But I'd advise to be more transparent.

There have been 2 months since the last release and almost 2 weeks since the last life sign by BryantP.
I don't say that you should rush out a fix - take your time, fix it properly. But just let us know about the progress. I am 100% sure you are working very hard on a fix and I don't need an exact date. Maybe let us know, when you give out a new build for beta testers and so on. With the Axe-FX III putting out release after release, it just feels there is (almost) no love for the FM3 from Fractal. I know it's not true, but then...

Currently I don't gig because of the pandemic, but there are people using one of the scarce oportunities to perform live. And if the device fails at one of those shows it's very frustrating. But I am looking forward to my next gig, hopefully in 2021, maybe with my FM3 ;)

TL;DR I am absolutely sure you will fix the issues, just be a little more transparent with us.
bryant has been posting on the forum recently, just not in this thread i guess. if there's no new information, there's nothing more to say.

it's being worked on. not sure if historically any staff has posted when the beta team gets a build and what's going on with it.

Ok, rampant speculation to follow....you’ve been warned :p
Is it possible that the hard to kill bugs and weirdness going on is a result of that original compiler mess at the beginning of the development cycle? Did that workaround have unintended consequences that popped up later?
I only ask because whenever there’s a bug with AxeFx III, it seems to get fixed right away. Not so much with the FM3.

Sure hope so. I have used FAS for over a decade and one main reason is the constant updates but the FM3 seems to be lagging badly. I'm trying to stay positive but that's fading. I still think FAS will pick up the pace and figure all this out for the customer very soon.

Is it possible that the hard to kill bugs and weirdness going on is a result of that original compiler mess at the beginning of the development cycle? Did that workaround have unintended consequences that popped up later?

We’ll never know.

Of course, it's being worked on. We've heard that for almost 2 months though. Of all FAS products released, the FM3 has suffered the slowest updates and has had the most issues straight out if the gate. Hopefully these get resolved in short order.

Last edited:

100% agree! As an enterprise software architect for a Fortune 100 company, I simply cannot image a scenario in my world where crashes remain unaddressed for this long. Something is very wrong.

I gigged my FM3 this morning and it worked flawlessly. I was even complimented by our sound/video tech on my tone. I'm sorry for the people that are having freezing problems, but I think the vast majority of us with an FM3 are very happy with our purchase.

they haven’t been silent. It’s just taking longer than people want.

Chris, you really go above and beyond helping out on this forum, testing, and explaining complex technologies in a way that people can easily understand. I’ve been a fan of your teaching style for a long time. I absolutely trust that your intentions are good.

That said, Fractal absolutely has been very quiet on the crashes and the expected timeframe for resolution. It’s not a matter of taking “longer than people want”. It’s a matter of “how long is it acceptable for a $1000 device to be crashing?”

I’m a huge Fractal fan - having owned a II, MFC, AX8, III, FC6 and FM3. There’s only one of those devices that I won’t use live - because I don’t trust it.

Still this is a VERY forgiving and understanding user base. Nobody truly expected “perfection, nothing less” (stated in a long since deleted post). But neither, I suspect, did anyone expect 2 months to fix crashes.

I’m not trying to pollute things with “TGP snark”. Instead, I trust that Fractal is true to their word that they will listen to honest discussion. Unaddressed crashes are bad. Going silent is even worse.

Just my respectful 2 cents on the matter.

Chris, you really go above and beyond helping out on this forum, testing, and explaining complex technologies in a way that people can easily understand. I’ve been a fan of your teaching style for a long time. I absolutely trust that your intentions are good.

That said, Fractal absolutely has been very quiet on the crashes and the expected timeframe for resolution. It’s not a matter of taking “longer than people want”. It’s a matter of “how long is it acceptable for a $1000 device to be crashing?”

I’m a huge Fractal fan - having owned a II, MFC, AX8, III, FC6 and FM3. There’s only one of those devices that I won’t use live - because I don’t trust it.

Still this is a VERY forgiving and understanding user base. Nobody truly expected “perfection, nothing less” (stated in a long since deleted post). But neither, I suspect, did anyone expect 2 months to fix crashes.

I’m not trying to pollute things with “TGP snark”. Instead, I trust that Fractal is true to their word that they will listen to honest discussion. Unaddressed crashes are bad. Going silent is even worse.

Just my respectful 2 cents on the matter.
I have used mine live extensively without any problems I still bring a backup rig no matter what amp/modeler I use. Its just common sense. But I have no problem using the FM3 as my main rig.

Yeah I’ve had the FM3 since March and just went ahead and got the Axe FX III. I honestly thought they’d at least caught up with updates by now. The only issues I’ve had were mostly USB related stuff. Haven’t had that issue with the AFIII but I do hope they figure out whatever the problem is and get some features rolling again.

Hi there,
my FM3 works fine and does not freeze. I use it daily with the guitar for maybe three hours and it is a lot of fun. The only unexpected thing happens, when I look youtube after that. When FM3-Edit is still open, the videos stop after ca 15-20min and I get asked to restart my device. Without FM3-Edit open it seems to run a bit longer until it stops. If I set the FM3 to an empty preset while playing a video, it does not stop at all.

OS X 10.11.06, fresh firmware and Edit.

Last edited:
I've had a couple issues with the FM3 while hooked up to FM3 edit. Never a problem at rehearsals, practicing at home or the 2gigs I've played with it...

Is the development/bug fix "delay" because Cliff has delegated FM3 duties to other personnel than himself while he focuses mainly on the flagship Axe? It must not be a "simple" fix. I wonder how long they wait to release a FM3 Mk2 with updated hardware. I imagine there is a delicate dance ahead because a lot of us owners would be a little upset if it came out in 2021.

Back
Top Bottom