Looper Axe-Fx III

54321pj

Inspired
Thought Id ask the forum,
Ive Owned the Axe III since it first come out and I had the Axe II for years before that.
I used to use the Looper with relative ease in the Axe II, but with the III I'm having trouble figuring out how to actually trigger record and play.
I don't have the FC-6 or 12, only two Fractal expression pedals which are plugged direct into the inputs 'Pedal 1 & 2' respectively, this used to work a charm on the II...
No such luck with the III
Can someone confirm its currently impossible to trigger the looper record/play function without having to twist/push the buttons on the front of the unit, and obviously this means to stop playing the guitar at the same time... which makes it pretty pointless. :oops:
Or am I missing something?

Sounds like you need the FC-6/12.
It does make more sense to not use the knobs.
Use your foot the to do that.
These FC are worth every cent, because you can use your foot to do many different things. Nice to practice using your foot more. You wont need to stop and fiddle around. Helps you with your performance, if you feel like it.

Or just use a DAW to record a loop... or a backing track.

Ive Owned the Axe III since it first come out and I had the Axe II for years before that.
I used to use the Looper with relative ease in the Axe II, but with the III I'm having trouble figuring out how to actually trigger record and play.
I don't have the FC-6 or 12, only two Fractal expression pedals which are plugged direct into the inputs 'Pedal 1 & 2' respectively, this used to work a charm on the II...
Can someone confirm its currently impossible to trigger the looper record/play function without having to twist/push the buttons on the front of the unit, and obviously this means to stop playing the guitar at the same time... which makes it pretty pointless. :oops:
When I first got mine I had to use the front panel on mine until I got the FC 12. Now I just use the Fc12 and it works great.
I don’t know about using another pedal But I definitely recommend the Fc6 or Fc12 depending on your needs.;)

For hands free trigger of the record you can raise the threshold in the looper block then press record. As soon as you play over the threshold the recording will start. But you still will have to use the front panel to stop and play. Before I bought the FC-6 I used a BOSS FS-7 set up as an external controller for limited control of the looper.

how did you do this on the Axe2?
The record and play buttons were modifiable I have pedal 2 set up as a latch.
Toe down record.
Toe up stop record.
When the record stops I then had auto play on... Then simply switch scenes to bypass the looper. Really simple. I can’t quite believe these modifiable parameters Have not been brought over to the flagship product?? Surely I’m missing something here?

Record was never modifiable on the Axe II, but Play was. You must have assigned the switch to record at the I/O: CTRL menu.

This should be possible on the III; see MIDI/Remote: Looper page.

Record was never modifiable on the Axe II, but Play was. You must have assigned the switch to record at the I/O: CTRL menu.
I honestly don’t remember assigning anything. Only ever using my expression pedal to start stop... I haven’t switched my II on for months I’ll check mine out tomorrow.
I do remember it beeIng extremely easy to use with just one expression pedal set as a latch.

I honestly don’t remember assigning anything.
the Axe2 definitely wasn't default set to use an expression pedal to control Rec and Play on the Looper. at some point, something was assigned.

you'd have to go to the Setup>MIDI menu and assign Rec and Play.

This should be possible on the III; see MIDI/Remote: Looper page.

Thanks.
I set my Axe II back up today, honestly it was like meeting an old good friend again. I'm going to incorporate it into the loop of my III (buts that's another thread)
The looper was better for my needs for what I could see. It did function exactly as I remember, and yes It had record assigned to pedal 2 in the I/O menu - I don't remember doing it, I had a good techy guy go through my presets some years ago... Anyway I'm blaming him ;)
Now, I'm half way there with the III looper.... Any ideas how I get the recorded loop to start from the beginning when I select a certain scene? Also I actually find it annoying the loop continues to play even when you select a different preset and come back to the original preset - Its still there!
Having the basic controls modifiable would be a massive help.. Especially if assignable to scene controllers.

I really dont want to purchase the FC just to activate the looper controls, Im already carrying a full pedal board around - My whole rig is controlled with a boss ES-8, switching real amps and peadls in and out of the Axe FX III effects loop.

Thanks.
I set my Axe II back up today, honestly it was like meeting an old good friend again. I'm going to incorporate it into the loop of my III (buts that's another thread)
The looper was better for my needs for what I could see. It did function exactly as I remember, and yes It had record assigned to pedal 2 in the I/O menu - I don't remember doing it, I had a good techy guy go through my presets some years ago... Anyway I'm blaming him ;)
Now, I'm half way there with the III looper.... Any ideas how I get the recorded loop to start from the beginning when I select a certain scene? Also I actually find it annoying the loop continues to play even when you select a different preset and come back to the original preset - Its still there!
Having the basic controls modifiable would be a massive help.. Especially if assignable to scene controllers.

I really dont want to purchase the FC just to activate the looper controls, Im already carrying a full pedal board around - My whole rig is controlled with a boss ES-8, switching real amps and peadls in and out of the Axe FX III effects loop.

I have an Axe Fx III & a boss ES-8 pedalboard. I was wondering how to integrate them together as ES-8 isn’t working unless bypass.

I currently have mine set up as follows.:-
Guitar 1/4 inch jack into Es-8.
Es-8 into Axe III front input (again1/4 jack)
Also run midi from Es-8 into Axe III.
I have the axe III midi mapped to change presets and scenes (I haven’t figured out the whole pc and cc change possibilities - so I have just 128 configurations to use which is 16 presets with 8 scenes in each)
I run an array of vintage pedals in the various loops of the Es-8 which hits the front of the axe seamlessly.
On top of that I also utilise the axe III fx loops too - Again running various amp heads and pedals. I’m running amp heads with a Palmer speaker load sim to get the level down to line.
I also have two Fractal expression pedals plugged direct into ports 1&2 on the back of the Axe.

I currently have mine set up as follows.:-
Guitar 1/4 inch jack into Es-8.
Es-8 into Axe III front input (again1/4 jack)
Also run midi from Es-8 into Axe III.
I have the axe III midi mapped to change presets and scenes (I haven’t figured out the whole pc and cc change possibilities - so I have just 128 configurations to use which is 16 presets with 8 scenes in each)
I run an array of vintage pedals in the various loops of the Es-8 which hits the front of the axe seamlessly.
On top of that I also utilise the axe III fx loops too - Again running various amp heads and pedals. I’m running amp heads with a Palmer speaker load sim to get the level down to line.
I also have two Fractal expression pedals plugged direct into ports 1&2 on the back of the Axe.

Thanks so much for your reply. I run 1/4 inch jack from guitar to ES-8 input. I use Axe FX III through amp head effects loop two cable post effects only. ES-8 only works in bypass mode with AXE FX III coming through while bypass. Just wondering how I can connect together? Do I need MIDI cable from ES-8 MIDI in to AXE FX III MIDI in/out/thru to sync them up?

I'm no expert by any stretch but first I would recommend making sure the ES-8 is configured correctly. Is it brand new or secondhand? As it may have been pre-programmed to bypass?
Anyway, I would take the Axe out of the equation first, and just plug the ES straight into your amp and make sure its switching the loops in and out correctly and not bypassing your signal entirely.
Once established its working you will need a midi cable.
Assuming you want the ES to control the Axe (so the ES is the master and the Axe will be the slave) You will need a midi cable from the midi out on the ES into the midi in or Thru on the Axe.
You can then map which preset & scene you want the ES to switch the Axe to. To do this, on the Axe front panel go to "set up" then page to "Midi/Remote" then page across to "Mapping" you can then configure which PC from the ES will change to... Thats how I have mine set up anyway. I have been informed that the ES is capable of controlling much much more too, I just haven't figured it out yet and for me gets complicated quite quickly.

On a different note. You might want to consider changing the way you have your Axe configured currently in your Amps effects loop.
Look into it? The ES-8 has 2 identical outs, I think you could run the ES straight into both the Axe and your amp - That also gets your pure guitar tone into the Axe before the real amp. You can still have the amp effect loop utilizing In2/Out 2 of the Axe (so the same as what you have now) but you can now take advantage of the amp sims inside the Axe and do all sorts of cool things as well.

I'm no expert by any stretch but first I would recommend making sure the ES-8 is configured correctly. Is it brand new or secondhand? As it may have been pre-programmed to bypass?
Anyway, I would take the Axe out of the equation first, and just plug the ES straight into your amp and make sure its switching the loops in and out correctly and not bypassing your signal entirely.
Once established its working you will need a midi cable.
Assuming you want the ES to control the Axe (so the ES is the master and the Axe will be the slave) You will need a midi cable from the midi out on the ES into the midi in or Thru on the Axe.
You can then map which preset & scene you want the ES to switch the Axe to. To do this, on the Axe front panel go to "set up" then page to "Midi/Remote" then page across to "Mapping" you can then configure which PC from the ES will change to... Thats how I have mine set up anyway. I have been informed that the ES is capable of controlling much much more too, I just haven't figured it out yet and for me gets complicated quite quickly.

On a different note. You might want to consider changing the way you have your Axe configured currently in your Amps effects loop.
Look into it? The ES-8 has 2 identical outs, I think you could run the ES straight into both the Axe and your amp - That also gets your pure guitar tone into the Axe before the real amp. You can still have the amp effect loop utilizing In2/Out 2 of the Axe (so the same as what you have now) but you can now take advantage of the amp sims inside the Axe and do all sorts of cool things as well.

Thanks so much mate I really appreciate your insight into this. Boss ES-8 is now working through front of both amps & I’ll need a midi cable to sync AXE FX III to Boss ES-8 so ES-8 master & AXE FX slave as I prefer to run it. I’m using both outs on ES-8 to two amps so I may not be able to run into AXE FX before my amp. ES-8 is configured correctly & switches banks & pedals in/out with no issues which is great.

Yep, a foot controller

Back
Top Bottom