FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

If the above problem (suddenly disappearing sound and blocking the AMP block) is the result of high CPU usage, why won't FM3 write it to me on the screen ("hello User, CPU is to high, please delete something block")?

Could be a race condition that is more likely to happen on high CPU usage. Just a wild guess.

If the above problem (suddenly disappearing sound and blocking the AMP block) is the result of high CPU usage, why won't FM3 write it to me on the screen ("hello User, CPU is to high, please delete something block")? Why doesn't turn off, for example, the Reverb block (as it did in the AX8), but the sound processing still works in the main line?
Why doesn't FM3 hang up when I change preset (even for empty patch)?
Maybe it’s right on the edge?

Not enough to give a warning, but enough to get glitchy here and there?

I had a similar issue in trying to convert a III preset to the FM3. I knew CPU would be high, so adjusted it on the III first to fix layout and remove blocks etc before export. It loaded up seemingly fine on the FM3, but I couldn't save it from FM3-Edit (would get the timeout and usb errors). Preset was waving from about 83%-87% (Warning coming and going on FM3-Edit). I hit save when the warning wasn't showing, and got the error. At that point, there is no error showing on the FM3 at all. I disconnect USB, and try to save on the FM3 with no luck. It appears to be locked up.

Shut it off, turn it back on, and the preset is there. Hmm.
But no buttons work...oh wait, I can change the scene but it took 10 seconds from the button press until the scene changed.
I use the page right button, choose another preset, and load it so I can connect and delete the offending preset.

1603809161544.png1603809212218.png

Attachments

• U2 - Mysterious Ways (FM3).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Maybe it's on the edge or maybe not. But - is this what should have happened in equipment for live playing at such a borderline moment - sound completely turned off?

I agree with you that we can assume different things. Fractal itself has the greatest knowledge, I believe, it has a lot of reports (not only mine) about problems with FM3.
I wholeheartedly support them to deal with them because I am a fan of their gear.
However, my sympathy is not enough for me to be able to play a concert with ease, as the equipment may crash without any warning and put on a song.

I also support Fractal a lot, at the same time I ask what about the amendments? It's been a few weeks since they wrote that the next firmware version is just around the corner.

PS I never see the red word "Warning" in me preset

If the above problem (suddenly disappearing sound and blocking the AMP block) is the result of high CPU usage, why won't FM3 write it to me on the screen ("hello User, CPU is to high, please delete something block")? Why doesn't turn off, for example, the Reverb block (as it did in the AX8), but the sound processing still works in the main line?
Why doesn't FM3 hang up when I change preset (even for empty patch)?
If it were me I would return the unit for exchange. It shouldn't do that using 80% . Its not of any use to you as it is imo.. I still feel FAS will get this all worked out very soon.

I notice your preset has that slim sliver of red in the CPU.

Dial it back to all green, and see if it still happens.

The manual says the limit is at 80%. Don't create presets that run above 80%.

First and foremost, I love this unit.

It works great for me.

For me.

It might not be for everyone, some peoples needs call for the AFX3, it is what it is.

The manual says the limit is at 80%. Don't create presets that run above 80%.

You're not wrong, but isn't that strange logic? Basically if you shouldn't create above 80% it's not actually 80% - it's 100%.

If you still have 20% capacity, you should be able to go above it - seems mis-scaled, or mis-named (like Military Intelligence)

You're not wrong, but isn't that strange logic? Basically if you shouldn't create above 80% it's not actually 80% - it's 100%.

If you still have 20% capacity, you should be able to go above it - seems mis-scaled, or mis-named (like Military Intelligence)

It has been this way since the very first Fractal Audio device. There has to be some headroom for background processes, spikes etc.

Drawing stuff on the screen takes CPU. So does monitoring switches and responding to them. So does communicating via MIDI, USB or FASLink. So do other bits of housekeeping that the FM3 has to do.

The CPU meter shows how much CPU is being used by audio processing. It can never be 100%, because other stuff uses CPU, also.

I panicked the first time I hit the red warning. I thought the until was going to self destruct in 3...2... 😆

As funny as it sounds, it would probably clear up alot of issues.
It would also complicate things. Like when all the housekeeping stuff is only using 12% of the CPU, and a user is successfully running a preset that reads 106%. And then housekeeping usage spikes, and the preset crashes. If you think people complain now about 80% being the max, wait till that chit hits the fan. ;)

And then housekeeping usage spikes, and the preset crashes. If you think people complain now about 80% being the max, wait till that chit hits the fan. ;)

Agreed! That would be lousy! Crashes = bad.
Reminds me of that time when my FM3 froze up while I was waiting for a fix to be released. I remember it like it was yesterday because, well, it was.

I thought I remembered before the FM3 shipped it was announced it would have a normalized CPU display where 100% was safe preset limit and the other tasks happened in the background. Honestly, I think it's a little easier to grok if your preset is running at 106% and crashes because obviously you're playing with fire up there. But honestly they both require some deeper understanding as a user to really understand and not be confused by.

It does make more sense to normalize it to 100% because if it's at 80 and it works, people will try to squeeze another couple of percent in there... which may or may not work depending on the background stuff, fx usage, etc. But if you go over 100 and it doesn't work, most people are gonna understand that.

Back
Top Bottom