Is arrived the time for Axe-Fx III to profile an amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Leon! Really good and informative video.
I have a question. Can you use the line out of a THD Hotplate for the mic + DI method of capturing irs?

IIRC the Hotplate is a resistive load - I'd usually advocate for a reactive load, but if you set the Axe-Fx III amp block speaker impedance to the resistive type, match with the hotplate and then try other impedance curves in the amp block you should get some very usable results.

I have something even better. Waiting for my patent approval.
I am new to modelling, Only 10 months since i bought the axe, coming from amps and pedals....and i still love analog stuff...but after the plexi 6CA7 was added, the default settings were bass and treble at 11 o'clock and mids all the way with the master all the way!! That outlook gave a new direction to my tone dialing, i can now dial mostly everything to my satisfaction!!!
Eagerly waiting for the surprise!!

IIRC the Hotplate is a resistive load - I'd usually advocate for a reactive load, but if you set the Axe-Fx III amp block speaker impedance to the resistive type, match with the hotplate and then try other impedance curves in the amp block you should get some very usable results.
IIRC the Hotplate is "semi-reactive". It uses it's cooling fan's inherent inductance as a reactive load. Not very accurate but not purely resistive.

What's the difference between a resistive load and a reactive load, which is better?.

I have a hotplate and I see the rivera rockcrusher is a reactive load.

The hotplate also lets you use an LED at the front to do... something. Can't remember what it's supposed to do but I never noticed any difference. I also never really got the fan to spin either :(

I have a Weber MiniMass for my combo - think it uses a speaker motor internally to absorb the amps power - is that considered a reactive load?

I had a (Kemper) profiler. Sounded good, but the profiles only reflect the tone of the amp’s specific setting. I always thought that profiling a schematic would be better. I can essentially (but not specifically) do that with my AF3.

I originally bought the profiler, because I own a lot of amps. I play through an Axe FX III, because it replaces my amps perfectly. It provides a different pedal board for each song. It allows me to send post-production fx and eq to FOH, to make my parts sound just like the originals we are covering. Finally, it also permits complex routing, such as used by Gilmour and Frampton.

If Cliff’s Fractal has something up their sleeve, there is no question that I’ll want it. I have chased better tone all of my life, and found it with their product. The constant improvement is icing on the cake.

I have a Weber MiniMass for my combo - think it uses a speaker motor internally to absorb the amps power - is that considered a reactive load?
Yes, it's reactive. I have one (actually a Mass 200). I'll have to measure it again but I seem to recall the impedance curve was strange. Not having a speaker cone, surround, etc. attached to the motor will shift the resonances dramatically. I also have wicked feedback problems with it from the emag fields emanating from it.

Yes, it's reactive. I have one (actually a Mass 200). I'll have to measure it again but I seem to recall the impedance curve was strange. Not having a speaker cone, surround, etc. attached to the motor will shift the resonances dramatically. I also have wicked feedback problems with it from the emag fields emanating from it.
I wonder if that impedance curve shift is also connected to temp as the unit warms up? I remember something about that from a circuits lecture a while back.

I would guess if the temp gets high enough, thermal expansion might change the motor's voice coil dimensions or shape a tiny amount. If that's the case, seems like the same would probably apply to regular speakers as well to some extent. I wouldn't think such small changes would be enough to make an audible difference compared to the large and powerful magnetic field of the speakers magnet, but who knows. I still have so much to learn about such things.

Just did some reading. The resistance of a copper wire rises by about 0.6% for every degree of temperature rise, and the rising voice coil resistance will lower the sensitivity (which I guess doesn't come into play with a reactive load cus it's not producing any sound). The overall impedance is increased and the impedance curve shape gets flattened out a bit as low freq resonance gets broadened out and the inductive rise in high freq isn't as steep, and this will load the amp differently.

Had both a Kemper and Axe FX II XL+. Hit some hard times financially, had to sell one. I kept the Axe. Now have an Axe FX III Mod 2 literally on it's way. Loved the Kemper tones, and specially feel. But, though the profiling did a good job of profiling the gain, it still was a snapshot, and the gain and eq stack never responded like the profiled amp. Even though it worked like a good amp. The Fx were good, but limited.

And the Axe jut had so much more you could tweak. More FX, and since you can tweak just about any aspect of the stomps, etc. can stack them, etc. It really becomes an unlimited amount, end result. Just more versatile in tweaking, tonal possibilities, signal paths, the looper etc.

Kemper is great if you just want to set to specific amps at specific settings, simple controls, or want to profile your amps and leave them at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom