Switch from Axe-Fx II XL ... is it worth it?

bosox0912

Hi all - I just got off the waitlist for the fm3. I currently play my Axe Fx II XL at home through my Friedman asc-12. Mostly a blues/rock guy, some metal every now and then. Are the cleaner amps (Fender/Vox) any better on the FM3 than the Axe II with Ares 2.0? I know sound and feel is "in the eye of the beholder", but I am looking for some BIASED opinions on here ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think one question to ask yourself is whether the loss of cpu is worth it for better modeling. With the AxeII, you can still run multiple amps and more effects at once, plus it still sounds awesome.

I think one question to ask yourself is whether the loss of cpu is worth it for better modeling. With the AxeII, you can still run multiple amps and more effects at once, plus it still sounds awesome.

yeah, that is a good point. Although I will say utilization of CPU on my current patches is low, so I think I am more after the sound/modeling

Comparing directly to a Axe-Fx II mkII, the FM3 is ok, but I still think the II is the better studio choice.

Soundwise, my dial-ins (single amp and cab blocks) end result is exactly the same.

Performance wise the FM3 is faster.

I did this exact swap, yes, it was totally worth it. Tone is pretty similar but the feel was instantly better to me, noticeably. I also love the Triple Crown and JP2C amps, that aren't in the II. I don't personally use big presets though so that's something you may want to think about, as it's pretty easy to hit the limits.

I did this exact swap, yes, it was totally worth it. Tone is pretty similar but the feel was instantly better to me, noticeably. I also love the Triple Crown and JP2C amps, that aren't in the II. I don't personally use big presets though so that's something you may want to think about, as it's pretty easy to hit the limits.
Interesting, I wish there was a way to try before buying!!

Comparing directly to a Axe-Fx II mkII, the FM3 is ok, but I still think the II is the better studio choice.

Maybe also live: Spillover and seamless switching would also be a concern for me for a live use, not only sheer number of simultaneous effects and dual amps.

I made this very same swap and for a couple of months I thought I might swap it back for the II. Now I'm perfectly happy with the change and not looking back but I had to make a number of compromises and walk a rather lenghy road of reworking presets for seamless switching.

I've never played an Fm3 but have been on the waitlist for a while. I've had a good 6 weeks or so to get familiar with my Axe II and mfc foot controller, and I can honestly say, Im not gonna bother getting an Fm3. The II does everything I need it to, and at volume, sounds better than any tube amp I've played. It's unreal! I'm so happy.

Just to update this thread...I went for it. Absolutely love it and worth the money/wait. As was said earlier, the feel is different.

Also, the cloud themed reverbs are amazing !!!

I have the fm3 and axe fx 2. I'm using my fx 2 for studio work (mostly known as bedroom jam) and the fm3 for my band.

To be honest, I have hardly used my axe fx 2 since I got my fm3. The only limitations for me is the cpu compared to the fx 2. If you're just jamming at home you can use axe edit to swap around.

I'm a total idiot with the 3 buttons so there been w learning curve for me. Sound wise, I have been able to tell a difference when trying to replicate my presets from the fx 2. I can't tell you for good or worst but I can say I love the sound of both.

Best of luck

I'm pretty happing with the FM3 after using the AxeII for about six years. I mostly play with clean Fender tones and there are some subtle improvements in the sound. It's not drastic, but I'm getting the sounds I want without having to apply a lot of EQ tweaks like I used to. Also, for me, having a smaller, more compact and all-in-one unit is much more practical for me for gigs.

Back
Top Bottom