Any EBMM owners?

Great feedback guys, thank you.

The basis for all this research is that I'm really, REALLY wanting a Sabre but at $4200 eye watering CAD up here i dont want to make an ill-formed decision. My 3 desired choices are PRS CE24, E-2 Eclipse and EBMM Sabre. I've owned both ESP's and PRS before so I'm familiar with those and they are also a lot more common for me to potentially find ones that i can play. I have never encountered a MM though and i suspect any purchase will be unplayed and via pics online.

I have a friend with a Suhr Modern that in all honesty doesn't impress me much and has several issues that are unacceptable to me on a $4/5k guitar and that aspect kind of got me pondering the massive price tags on these top end guitars and if its really reflective in the quality of the instrument. I know ultimately you really have to play a guitar to truly know but being in a very rural area and the rarer nature of the top shelf guitars i can only do so much.

I'm just so used to "workhorse" style guitars around the $1500/2500 range that ultimately play just fine but usually after a little more setup. In my mind a guitar of this pedigree will play like butter right from the box, nut height to the lowest possible, dead level frets and fingerboard, action low and clean. Pickups will always be a personal thing so is less important to me than the build/play quality and product support, which from what im seeing is nothing to be concerned with.

the Sabre is ridiculously awesome. The best guitar I've played in recent years, for sure. I was blown away when I demoed it.

Nice! These are sweet. You'll enjoy.

Thanks Coop, I'm lucky enough to own a few other Music man models as well. I'll have to post some more pics when I get a chance. I actually remember buying my first Artic Dream Majesty when I saw your demo vid.

Not tried a Sabre yet but I really want too! They look awesome especially the Cobra bust finish. It's definitely my favourite.

What's your opinion on the the old style trem the use? The one they still use on the Luke, not the new one with the weird cover. I'm curious if I can put a Gotoh 510 on there, but it seems like a lot of work. And I don't know if the new Wilkinson locking saddles will fit or work good enough on the stock tremolo.
Sorry didn't see this;
It is a good unit, made by Gotoh for them at the time. It will fit the Wilkinson saddles. It could swapped out for the 510 but you won't notice a difference really.

Here's my collection. I've had the JP6 for more than 10 years now. It was my 1st "pro" guitar, and it's great, still love it. Needs some fretwork, I'll probably have SS frets installed.

Sterling JP70 was my second one. Got a great deal on it back in the day. It's okay, nothing spectacular. Serves as a backup now.

The Polar Noir Majesty is from 2017. I love almost everything about it. The awful knob and bridge plate coating that faded after a while drives me crazy. It's a known issue that EBMM had a couple of years back. Also, the fact that I can't fit the .66 string in the tuner and have to unwrap it when restringing is really annoying. Actually, even the .62 is too thick.

2019 Kinetic Blue Majesty is the latest addition to the family. I'm yet to find an issue :) It feels like they've perfected the formula. Love the Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker pickups - they feel more balanced than any of the previous sets.

Although these are perfect guitars for what I do, I really like strats and would love to get Cutlass SSS. It's in my "Maybe someday" wishlist at Thomann ;)
IMG_20200820_182733.jpg

Sorry didn't see this;
It is a good unit, made by Gotoh for them at the time. It will fit the Wilkinson saddles. It could swapped out for the 510 but you won't notice a difference really.
Ok! Isn't the stud spacing different on the 510 vs the MM vintage style one?

Also, how big of an issue is it that the Wilkinson saddles still can move side to side? The base plate on the MM trem doesn't have grooves like the 510 has.

The stud spacing is the same on the Gotoh made version and should be in tolerances but that doesn't mean you won't need to tweak the rout with a dremol. The Locking saddles don't move about because there is tension holding them in place. Even when you depress the bar the tension is still there because you lock the strings at pitch.

The stud spacing is the same on the Gotoh made version and should be in tolerances but that doesn't mean you won't need to tweak the rout with a dremol. The Locking saddles don't move about because there is tension holding them in place. Even when you depress the bar the tension is still there because you lock the strings at pitch.
When you say "Gotoh made", do you meant the old non locking trem that looked the same, but said Gotoh instead of Music Man on the back?

So, even if I depress the bar fully, the saddles can't be move sideways, even if I touch them with my fingers?

The original ones are OEM they say musicman but gotoh made them. The new ones look the same but there are a few small differences. The locking saddles will work in normal use as long as the nut and locking tuners are all working as intended.

The original ones are OEM they say musicman but gotoh made them. The new ones look the same but there are a few small differences. The locking saddles will work in normal use as long as the nut and locking tuners are all working as intended.
Cool! Then the Wilkinsons are the way to go. What are the difference between the new in house tremolo compared to the old ones?

I was really loving all the sounds that the Majesty offered, from the videos people like Coop did.... really didn't like the looks, but the piezo and other features seemed awesome making for a super versatile guitar... but the deal breaker was seeing a Majesty in person and playing it... it was great and I do not want to yuck anybody's yum but personally the thrusting penile appendage looking horn was a serious deal breaker... I just couldn't get over it. But I love the EBMMs so just want to find the same features but on a less..... "polarizing" looking guitar.

I was really loving all the sounds that the Majesty offered, from the videos people like Coop did.... really didn't like the looks, but the piezo and other features seemed awesome making for a super versatile guitar... but the deal breaker was seeing a Majesty in person and playing it... it was great and I do not want to yuck anybody's yum but personally the thrusting penile appendage looking horn was a serious deal breaker... I just couldn't get over it. But I love the EBMMs so just want to find the same features but on a less..... "polarizing" looking guitar.

Seems like JP15 might be an option for you.

Just a cheaper OEM builder not really worse on this one . Their new Floyd is quite a bit worse though.
Ah, good to hear! Their new floyd locking a bit shady was what put me off their Luke 1 reissue. I was afraid the non locking tremolo would suffer the same downgrade. Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom