Poll - What cabs do you want?

The G12-65s from 1980 and I have a Demon speaker on its way from Italy. I’ve had a surprising number of requests for another cab that I need to do first, but I have a killer selection of new cabs and speakers I’ve recently acquired that I’m itching to capture. The test shots have all been really inspiring, so I’m excited about the upcoming packs.

Whats with the Fillmore 75 speakers that Boogie uses in their RectoVerb? Anything special? They market them as such, are they based on a particular speaker such as the V30?
My Fillmore came in and I liked it so much that I ordered three more from Mesa to try in a 4x12. You can tell that it was designed to work well for Recto amps because the sizzle is controlled and it doesn’t have the upper mid spike you normally hear from a V30.

5150 cabs with Sheffield's are the biggest poop cabs I have ever played.
Splawn cabs are great, Diezel cabs are great, Crate GE412 has to be the GE cabs are great, anything that will punch you in the chest playing rhythm to screaming leads is what I look for

My 5150 4x12 still sounds fantastic - very broken in. I guess it depends on the ear and what your likes/dislikes are, what amp you play it with and what you are looking to get out of it in terms of tone. I dig it.

I have never played through a Splawn or Diezel cab but have wanted to for a while. I believe there are some stock cab IRs in my FM3 from them. I'll take a look and try out.

My 5150 4x12 still sounds fantastic - very broken in. I guess it depends on the ear and what your likes/dislikes are, what amp you play it with and what you are looking to get out of it in terms of tone. I dig it.

I have never played through a Splawn or Diezel cab but have wanted to for a while. I believe there are some stock cab IRs in my FM3 from them. I'll take a look and try out.
I have a Splawn 4x12 in my collection. I may have gotten a lemon, but it’s easily the least inspiring V30 4x12 cab I own out of 8 V30 4x12 cabs. I see the old 5150 pop up pretty often. How do you feel they compare to a V30 or Greenback loaded cab?

Justin, I've bought your 412 MESA Trad and 412 BOGNER... very good IR, one of the best I've tried.
Now I would like a 412 ORANGE with V30's... this cab has got a really pleasant middle boost that I like.
Congratulations for your work Justin ;-)

Well that's quite interesting, Boogie went on and on about that speaker when they introduced it, 500 prototypes. But they only put it in the Rectoverb combo which is puzzling to say the least. I can't wait to try it with various amp models to hear its character.
It really is a great sounding speaker and I’m excited to hear them in a 4x12, but Mesa has made their V30 4x12 and 2x12 cabs industry staples, so I can imagine they’d be hesitant to mess with that recipe. I haven’t had the chance to mic it up yet, but it sounds like a cross between a well broken in V30 and a Greenback in the room. At least to my ears.

I have a Splawn 4x12 in my collection. I may have gotten a lemon, but it’s easily the least inspiring V30 4x12 cab I own out of 8 V30 4x12 cabs. I see the old 5150 pop up pretty often. How do you feel they compare to a V30 or Greenback loaded cab?

Good question but not easy to answer. This is a careful path to walk as there are various opinions out there. I've heard some 5150 cabs sounded dull and lifeless. I personally haven't had that experience but I have only played through my straight 4x12 and a 5150 combo amp loaded with Sheffields back in the day. As for my 5150 straight Sheffield cab it is closer to the lower wattage GB from my experience but more neutral in the mid to high end compared to the V30. I feel I get a darker chunk from the Sheffield and at louder volumes it really opens up more. At lower volume it seems different - if you get one maybe try out a capture at lower vs higher volume and see if the curve changes. At higher volume it seems I can shape the sound more with the amp than with a V30. I would have to change to a different mic position to get a similar sound out of a V30 or GB but could sacrifice the darker chunk. It's a good speaker to bring out the amp's voice if you like to shape from that side I think. Mine just works well I guess and seems flexible. I think the combination of the cab construction (for better or worse sonically) + the Sheffield speaker just makes it different on its own. But I do love a V30 and a good low watt GB. They all have their place in people's ears. I don't think one is better than the other, just different. Sometime nice to hear something other than a V30 or GB nowadays. What's old becomes the new fresh. My old 5150 cab fits the bill for that. It's built like a tank, broken in beyond it's years and just sizzles live with the right amp settings. Would be good to get that bottles up in an IR!

I am pretty sure I haven't seen any "ancient" G12H-30's 55Hz Greenbacks (in a 4x12" cab) on your site, otherwise I would have bought it in a heartbeat (heck even if you had an IR with Scumback H55's -the 100W ones are still my all time favorites- I wouldn't hesitate to buy it).

But that's alright. I do visit your site from time to time to check what's new as your IR's have a stellar reputation and I really would like to try out at least some of them at some point.

Hey Justin.
As of yesterday I now have the M25, the VX30 and the 212 Mesa..to add to the Deluxe reverb, the Matchless, the M20 and the Ampeg.
I’ve never really liked playing AC30 on the AFX2 even though I tried one in the flesh once and loved it. But now - yes another convert - I’m really enjoying it.
The M25 is also the Marshall I should have bought as the M20 isn’t quite right for me.
So now....as I may have asked before:
Please please can we have a EVM-12L!!
I’m using another supplier as there are very few about but I know you’d do a really amazing job. I have a Boogie mk2a split into a Zilla Cab and Head (too heavy!!) which is the sound I really need.
Sorry. Long post.

Last edited:
I would love some Fender Brownface cabs. I know others have made Tweed cabs, at least the 1x12 and then (Bassman) 4x10. But I would like to see Broanface cabs, so a Pro (1x15), Concert 4x10, Deluxe 1x12, Twin 2x12. As far as I have been able to google, no one makes these IRs. I know some of those cabs came with some speakers one year and a different set the next, so modeling all available would be great.

I'd love to see wht something lie a Deluxe would sound like through a (period correct) 4x10 or a 1x15, etc.

AFTER that my next request would be something similar for the tweed line of Fender amps.

Maybe some models for jazzier amps? Carrs maybe? Just a thought. But yeah, definitely Brownface amps. I'm tired of searching sites and only see 800 different variants of a 4x12 with celestions. It's ridiculous.

PRS Stealth 4x12, since we have the Archean now. I like the amp so much with your Mesa Traditional pack. The cab has very good reviews. It would be very good to have the related impedance curve as well. Lastly, I'd be so glad if the pack contains 906 and 160 IR's, since I really like the combination of those two.

What I would love to see is a combo pack, something with a small assortment of either different speakers in the same cab or better yet mixes of 57+121+421 from a couple of different cabs in one pack.

One speaker that I’d love to see modeled, especially in an open or semi open-backed cabinet, is an older Weber ScumNiCo. I’ve got one that I’d be willing to loan for the cause. Very versatile speaker, with its own vibe. Good on a lot of different styles from clean to Dumble to Hot Cat.

Back
Top Bottom