Atomic CLR - replace with Adam A7X/8X? (probably not)

TBH, though I seriously covet a pair, part of me would be nervous that they'd be unrepairable if something happened.

Sharing the same honesty theme, part of my thinking was along the same lines. One of the things I'm worried about is if they fail then how hard it might be to get them repaired.

However, from my research, the unreliability seems to have been resolved with the Neo Mark II model, because a lot of the issues complained about on the web seem to have come from earlier models. I have not seen many problems with the new ones (from my limited position sitting at a desk and Googling it).

And mine have been rock solid since day 1, so as long as I take good care of them I hope they will be fine.

I have a Neo mk 2, also bought at Andertons 2 to 3 years ago. Apart from one occasion, has only ever been used at home at relativity low volumes, is currently in the US waiting to be repaired due to a suspected power module failure. Evidently there are still problems with CLR's

I have a Neo mk 2, also bought at Andertons 2 to 3 years ago. Apart from one occasion, has only ever been used at home at relativity low volumes, is currently in the US waiting to be repaired due to a suspected power module failure. Evidently there are still problems with CLR's

Aah no, that really is a shame! Did you send it for repairs via Andertons or directly to Atomic?

I've spent the day playing my Tele through clean amps (new Archean Clean and AC20s) with the CLRs and they are just sounding amazing. I hope you get yours back soon!

Never really heard any talk about the CLR as being a "problem" equipment. Mine's been working flawless since I bought it Q3 2018. I push it at band and rehearsal level as a backline amp, averagely once a week.

I was also in the market for a pair of Adam's, but since I already have 2 CLRs, it was cheaper to just buy two stands.
It is however a bit crowded now (had to use a wide angle lens on my camera just to make this picture), but Spotify never sounded better.
MTET20200818-4481.jpg

I have one CLR neo, and a pair of Adam A7x's. At home, and at about 90dB or below, I'm using the Adams. To me, the CLR is a performance cabinet, and doesn't really shine up close and personal (i.e. in a bedroom or small studio) or at lower volume levels. At 90dB or so, and at only a meter or so away, the sound doesn't seem to gel really well. I have played with the various DSP options, but I can't picture listening to music on the CLR at lower volumes. I can't picture myself listening to Spotify as shown in the photo above on a pair of CLRs.

On stage, that's where the oomph of the CLR helps carry the sound in a good way; wide sweet spot, clarity, huevos.

Other than the finish, the CLR has been very reliable, though.

I have both the Adam A7X and a CLR Neo MKII. They work very well together, meaning that I tweak on the A7Xs and never have to adjust anything when bringing the CLR to the gig. I'm extremely satisfied with this setup.
I dial on Adam S2-A and gig on CLR Neo2 without any translation issues as long as I crank up the Adams for final check & tweaks before gigging a new preset or re-dialing an old one.

I was also in the market for a pair of Adam's, but since I already have 2 CLRs, it was cheaper to just buy two stands.
It is however a bit crowded now (had to use a wide angle lens on my camera just to make this picture), but Spotify never sounded better.
View attachment 73374
Ouch, my ears hurt looking at that :)

I'd be curious to hear how well these sound in the home environment? They are coaxial with a horn like the CLR and supposedly have a bigger sweet spot for listening. Anybody with experience with these and CLRs?

Reactions: Woz
Back
Top Bottom