In what order does the "Link-to and Load-from" happen?

Joe Bfstplk

Axe-Master
Do I need to do Load _ before doing Link-to and Load-from in order to avoid overwriting the global block I am linking?
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 8.11.32 PM.png

No, link and load from takes care of both.
I understand that, but the order is important to know. Does it load the global then link to it or does it link to the global then load it. I don't want to add a link to a global and accidentally push bogey settings from a preset into the global if it links first then loads, which will then require fixing a bunch of presets....

This feature overwrites the current non-global with the global settings and links it to the global block. You lose the local settings.

I understand that, but the order is important to know. Does it load the global then link to it or does it link to the global then load it. I don't want to add a link to a global and accidentally push bogey settings from a preset into the global if it links first then loads, which will then require fixing a bunch of presets....
It creates a link to the global block instance and then loads from it.

It creates a link to the global block instance and then loads from it.

I'd say it loads from the global # then links to it, because the result is the same as "load" then "link" separately in that order.

If you link then load you're overwriting the global slot with whatever the current settings are, then redundantly loading those to the block which already has those settings. The menu item would be more clear as "Load from and link to" or "Load from then link to" IMO.

I'd say it loads from the global # then links to it, because the result is the same as "load" then "link" separately in that order.

If you link then load you're overwriting the global slot with whatever the current settings are, then redundantly loading those to the block which already has those settings. The menu item would be more clear as "Load from and link to" or "Load from then link to" IMO.
Yes, exactly this. Order of operations is important.

Take your typical toll house cookie recipe. Change the order. Bake all the ingredients for 12 minutes at 350 degrees, then take them out and mix them together and form cookie-sized lumps of what you get. Then eat it. You don't want to, do you? :D

Ok, so if I have an existing block in a preset and click "Link-to and Load-from" does it overwrite the global or overwrite the existing block?
It overwrites the existing block with data from the global block. "Load from" is the operative phrase here. See the Axe-Fx manual for the explanation of what does what.

So, essentially, it should really be labeled "Load-from then Link-to", then, to be more concise and clear.
That would be more accurate, but no more concise. :)

Actually, "link" and "load" should be considered separate functions, and the source of the loaded data should be specified. Then all would be clear.

Actually, on the hardware it's still called "Link to and Load from". So Axe-Edit is correct in that sense, because it adheres to the hardware.

But I agree that it should be the other wat around. This has already been discussed in the beta team (thread May 15th).

Back
Top Bottom