Atomic CLR - replace with Adam A7X/8X? (probably not)

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
I’ve got 2 beautiful Atomic CLR MkII Neo that I play through at home. Love them! BUT, thing is I don’t play out at gigs much anymore, and lately I’ve pretty much always ended up going FOH with IEMs because of either limited space on stage or a sound guy who wants full control of the sound on the stage.

My little home studio is, well, not huge! So while I am happy with my CLRs, I’ve been wondering if it is worth selling them and getting some Adam A7 or A8s which might be better suited to my small space.

My other monitors are first the gen KRK Rokit 6 which are horrible (regrettable purchase years ago, I thought I had a good deal).
I’ve recently heard the Adam A3 and was blown away at how much better they sounded compared to my Rokits.

Getting the Adam monitors would also save me a lot of floor space in my room, for hopefully more guitars!

So I am at a crossroads, the CLRs are great, but I’m not using their full potential. I get the impression the Adams would match the sound quality quite easily too for dialling in patches.

Primary use is dialling in presets, mixing and also fun jamming at home for guilty pleasure!

Would love some thoughts from you guys in case I make a mistake!

Last edited:
I don't think the AX7 are a 1-1 replacement of the CLR. If your goal is speakers that match your room, then AX7 may be the answer, but the 12" speaker on the CLR is much different.

I'd comment on the AX7 but it has been hashed out So many times on the forum. A search will turn up a lot of threads with good info.

I don't think the AX7 are a 1-1 replacement of the CLR. If your goal is speakers that match your room, then AX7 may be the answer, but the 12" speaker on the CLR is much different.

Agreed, and good point to make, the AX7 is a nearfield monitor, it will have a different listening experience to the CLR. The benefit of the Adams though is they take up less space, and still sound good.

I'm more testing the water to get people's opinions, if anyone has both for example. I do love the bottom end thump I get out of the CLRs, but then, maybe the trade off is I save floor space and still get pretty good tones.

I'd comment on the AX7 but it has been hashed out So many times on the forum. A search will turn up a lot of threads with good info.

On this, I have searched extensively, but not a lot of people have gone the CLR -> Adam route. Both are clear winners in their own categories.

Cool! Have you played the Adam monitors much?
I've tried various products & floor monitors. I find valuable the dBtechnologies FM12 and very practical the Red Sound MF10. But nothing I tried compares to the wide and in the room sound of the CLR. Anything under 12" sized speakers often gets boxy when you push the volume to gig level whatever be the marketing efforts and what influencers blabla tends to sell.

I have both the Adam A7X and a CLR Neo MKII. They work very well together, meaning that I tweak on the A7Xs and never have to adjust anything when bringing the CLR to the gig. I'm extremely satisfied with this setup.

I have some nice nearfields and a sub, but I still prefer playing through the CLR at home. Just fills the room with sound better and has such a wide sweet spot.

The monitors sound great too, but the CLR would be missed I think.

If you don’t need the money I’d hold onto it

I know what you should do.
You should gift your CLRs to me ;)

I have cheapo Alessis powered monitors, would very much like better, but I can't swing the price of two CLRs, however much I wish I could.

I have a CLR and use Adam ax7’s at home. I rarely fire up the CLR these days. If you don‘t need the CLR‘s for gigging then you will be quite happy with the Adam‘s IMO.

I just recently got a set of the A5x and a sub10. Great combo and the size of the 5s are more manageable on a desk. Another benefit is I can adjust the sub level and crossover freq.. so they may be a more versatile and tunable option to the 7

I bought A7Xs and sub and have my CLRs in same room. Completely different experience, and the A7Xs never get turned on. I’m going to sell them and the sub.

I know what you should do.
You should gift your CLRs to me ;)

I have cheapo Alessis powered monitors, would very much like better, but I can't swing the price of two CLRs, however much I wish I could.
I only got one....same reason 😉 And also I hate to drive off with a car full of gear while one does the job so good already. 2 e-guitars, a dobro, an acoustical, a banjo and the lap steel is already stinking much..

Awesome, thanks guys! More than enough info here to help me decide! I'll probably keep the CLRs, sell my Rokits and get some A5s or maybe even A7s at a later stage.

At the end of the day, I could use the floor space but then I can hang new guitars on the wall! :D

My fear out of all of this is if I end up regretting selling the CLRs when they are already so hard to get in the UK. I've done that with a guitar already and kick myself for it. I think I just needed to hear a bit of sense, thanks for the feedback!

I have some nice nearfields and a sub, but I still prefer playing through the CLR at home. Just fills the room with sound better and has such a wide sweet spot.

This.

I have both and use the CLR more. It fills the room much more than near field monitors, as it should.

Yes this. If I could actually buy some CLRs in the UK I would have them already. I really would hold on to yours or I would definitely be interested!
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/so-love-hate-on-headrush-108s-where-do-i-go-from-here.165203/

Having got to a point where I seemingly can't buy Atomics, don't feel good about Powercabs (size not helpful either) and finally discovered that Matrix exported ALL their speaker stock to the US (?!?!?!? :confused: - lucky US guys...) and no idea when any Matrix speakers will ever be available in the UK again I am trying some 8" studio monitors but I don't think they will work how FRFR does .

This has not been easy. Keep your CLR's!:)

Yes this. If I could actually buy some CLRs in the UK I would have them already. I really would hold on to yours or I would definitely be interested!
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/so-love-hate-on-headrush-108s-where-do-i-go-from-here.165203/

Having got to a point where I seemingly can't buy Atomics, don't feel good about Powercabs (size not helpful either) and finally discovered that Matrix exported ALL their speaker stock to the US (?!?!?!? :confused: - lucky US guys...) and no idea when any Matrix speakers will ever be available in the UK again I am trying some 8" studio monitors but I don't think they will work how FRFR does .

This has not been easy. Keep your CLR's!:)

Thanks for the good advice! It sucks that you are going through that, I know I was very lucky when I bought my CLRs from Andertons a couple of years ago, the money was available at the right time and they happened to have stock - so I had no idea that they would soon become so hard to get a hold of over here.

I'm definitely hanging onto them, and saving up to upgrade my Rokits but the pressure is off for me now. Seriously hope you find something good soon!

Back
Top Bottom