Announcing Axe-Fx III Mark II

I’ve had my Axe-FX III since May 11, 2020 – four months to the day. I would not trade those four months of joy for the latest and greatest model, period.

Phones get updated. Computers get updated. Cars get updated. Fractal gear gets updated.

As I’m typing this, I’m realizing that I might not be sounding very helpful – so let me rephrase it by telling you the truth about my experience:

I bought an Ultra. It blew my mind. Not long afterwards, the Axe-FX II was released. I still loved my Ultra.

I bought an Axe-FX II mkII. It blew my mind. Not long afterwards, the Axe-FX II XL was released. I still loved my Axe-FX II mkII.

Four months ago, I bought an Axe-FX III. It blew my mind. A couple days ago, the Axe-FX III mkII was released. I still love my Axe-FX III.

As surely as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, any tech you purchase will eventually be superseded. Understanding that is part of growing up and being an adult.

(P.S. – I make no claim to being an adult, or acting like one. I play with my Axe-FX like I’m in kindergarten, and it’s a set of finger-paints. I know it’s not my stock portfolio. I don’t have a stock portfolio. I invest in myself, and buy Fractal gear instead.)

When I say "I would rather have waited", I say that with 2020 hindsight. You're right of course that products are always improving - and the fact that Fractal is always moving forward and has an engineer running things is one of the reasons I bought the AXE FX3 to begin with.

At the end of the day I am really happy I got the AXE FX3. Now the only limitation in my guitar playing is me and my fingers.

I'm an Electrical Engineer by profession, with experience in digital signal processing, embedded software and a Masters in computer architecture. I have a pretty good understanding about how the AXE FX3 works - and this morning I took the top cover off to have a look. Yep, modular design with digital interfaces between subsystems. The AXE FX3 is upgradeable if that ever makes sense.

Yes, it really is a case of FOMO for the most part upset about not having the latest and greatest. As stated before, a new product announcement doesn't denigrate the quality of sounds being produced by the current gear I have.

I find it hard for anyone to take what you said as antagonistic. It really is a step in the right direction to be able to take a step back from the buzz of a new product announcement and be at peace with your current possessions. Well said.
Thank you very much Damian. I totally agree about new product announcements not denigrating current gear.
Also, I just added the antagonistic part because it's the internet and I just like to cover my bases and make clear my intentions.

Back
Top Bottom