Plexi 50W 6CA7: Killer factory cabs

What amp settings are you guys using?
Anybody with an SSS strat?

I played through a number of these recommended cab and cab pairs today, default amp settings, bridge pickup of my EJ strat, its tone about 5.5.

Treble city, not my thing at all.
Experimented a bit with other amp settings, and a few other cabs, didn't find anything that made me happy.

I played through a number of these recommended cab and cab pairs today, default amp settings, bridge pickup of my EJ strat, its tone about 5.5.

Experimented a bit with other amp settings, and a few other cabs, didn't find anything that made me happy.
Try turning the input gain up until the tone is good, then backing off the guitar volume until it is clean. That's what I am doing with it. HSS Strat, but a low-output H in parallel, so bright and bitey similar to a Strat single coil pickup....

I shared the preset I built with the 6CA7 Plexi here....

Last edited:

With my SSS Strat it sounds bright as well (I have an SSL-5 in bridge position).
Need to play around with presence, those settings are definitely good for a humbucker.

Try these cabs:

Factory 2 #577 4x12 Brit TV 57 C1 ML​
Factory 2 #578 4x12 Brit TV 121 C1 ML (Level -10dB)​

And these amp settings (only thing changed under the hood is Speaker Compression turned up to 6).
With my Strat it sounds pretty good (brighter than the Les Paul, but that's what single coils sound like ;)).

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 09.21.38.png

Could someone explain how is it possible to consider the right leveling position in cabs pair, which one to lower as you did here and how exactly we could pair cabs to sound good? Could these
cab variations we could use also with Brit800? Could you please, recommend cabs combinations for Brit800 or the right thread. Thanks.
I think most people would agree that there is no “right” mix between any two or three cabs ... there is only what sounds good. And that will change from guitar to guitar, or amp to amp, or even with different settings of the same amp. Use your ears and experiment.

Same goes for what cab(s) will go best With a Brit800.

Use those ears, experiment. To speed things up, use the looper to create a little “guitar audio track” and then try various cabs and cab settings while the loop Repeats.

Good Advice, Thanks, Always use your ears is the first rule, but just for the sake of variety, someone could share his experience with different combinations. Thanks once again.

I'm using the ML Jubilee cab which is darker than the stock cabs... but what I really want to add is that the 6CA7 model is so freaking awesome feeling and fun to play.

As much as I enjoy the new Plexi 50W 6CA7, no Amb Block is complete without a Cab Block. I find the following factory cabs to really sound amazing with the new Plexi. I use one of the following pairs together, all at 0dB except where noted:

Factory 2 #840 4x12 Recto ST 57M A YA​
Factory 2 #530 4x12 Brit 70s GB 121 I​

Factory 2 #545 4x12 Brit 70s GB 313 I​
Factory 2 #521 4x12 Brit 70s GB 57G​
Factory 2 #577 4x12 Brit TV 57 C1 ML​
Factory 2 #578 4x12 Brit TV 121 C1 ML (Level -10dB)​
Factory 2 #757 4x12 MAR-CB LYN 57 OH​
Factory 2 #758 4x12 MAR-CB LYN 84 Rear OH (Level -5dB)​
Factory 2 #60 2x12 MAR-66 OH-GREEN 57 OH​
Factory 2 #63 2x12 MAR-66 OH-GREEN U70 OH (Level -5dB)​
Factory 2 #555 4x12 Brit 70s GB 4047 B​
Factory 2 #539 4x12 Brit 70s GB 212 B (Level -10dB)​
Factory 2 #514 4x12 Brit 68 Pinstrp SM7 C2b VH​
Factory 2 #513 4x12 Brit 68 Pinstrp RNR D2 VH​
Factory 2 #441 4x12 AX V30 160 E​
Factory 2 #434 4x12 AX V30 121 E​

My favorites at the moments are the pair Factory 2 #555 / Factory 2 #539.
These are the Amp Block settings - Speaker Impedance Curve is 4x12 Brit Greenback, the rest is default.

Edit: I used this preset mainly with a Les Paul Traditional (57s pickups)

View attachment 72495
I assume you have the ideal bright switch on?

Does the bright switch have different hi freq boost curves for each modeled amp? Wonder what it is for this amp model?

I just tried Factory 2 #545 and Factory 2 521 with the Plexi 100W High.

Changed the presence to about 1 o'clock and increased gain to about 7.00 and put a Shimmer drive in the front with gain at 0, level 6 and another Shimmer drive in the preamp with a boost at 7db.

Absolutely stellar thanks for the tip with the cab blocks.

6CA7 has a bit too much bite for my taste.

The 1987x (with Bright on) is my favourite Plexi. It's just a little more smooth than the Plexi 50W.

Factory 2 Rumble cabs# 919, 921, 922, 941, all sound good to me with a Stratocaster (neck pickup) and a Marshall or Friedman. Alone or in various different combinations in pairs.

Back
Top Bottom