FM3 Firmware 1.06 Public Beta 3

And what about when you get new features? New amps, new pedals, new algorithms improvements and everything for FREE? A little piece of patience and respect to the FAS team would be welcome!
I hope you're right, but the last 15 months have tested everyone's patience.

You know what, you’re right. Sorry for the cynicism.

I want to see the USB issues resolved so FAS can focus on developing this product to reach its full potential. I know it’s not an AxeIII and there are limits to what it can and will be able to support. I’m (not so) patiently waiting for when they can fully focus on implementing updates rather than chasing USB problems.
No worries. Sometimes things are frustrating. Most time things aren’t. All I know is FAS has a great team and everything will be great.

The FM3 is on firmware 1.xx. That’s just the beginning.

We had to make a management decision. Under certain circumstances (using an Amp block and two Delay blocks with Diffusion on) the second DSP could get overloaded. The easiest solution at this time was to remove the Diffusion parameter. If we are able to improve the code efficiency we will reinstate the parameter.

You have to realize the FM3 has only about 1/5 the DSP power of an Axe-Fx III. Trying to fit all those goodies in there while not sacrificing audio quality is a balancing act. I ALWAYS insist on quality over quantity. That's what differentiates our products. It takes a LOT of horsepower to do it right.

You have to realize the FM3 has only about 1/5 the DSP power of an Axe-Fx III. Trying to fit all those goodies in there while not sacrificing audio quality is a balancing act. I ALWAYS insist on quality over quantity. That's what differentiates our products. It takes a LOT of horsepower to do it right.
Thank you, Cliff, for taking the time to explain that. When I owned an Axe III it was way more than I needed. I just need to get used to the limitations.

Updated firmware and FM3 edit, straight record via USB, I did notice that the latency have improved! In Cubase I usually have the monitoring off while recording and didn't notice it was ON, in previous firmware I'll know right away it is ON because of the latency. Many thanks to Fractal team and to testers who are always working hard on this. Really cool!

Updated firmware and FM3 edit, straight record via USB, I did notice that the latency have improved! In Cubase I usually have the monitoring off while recording and didn't notice it was ON, in previous firmware I'll know right away it is ON because of the latency. Many thanks to Fractal team and to testers who are always working hard on this. Really cool!
Yes, the latency should be MUCH lower now.

This one sucks for me... big time!... Removed “Diffusion” parameters from the Delay blocks due to CPU constraints.

This enabled me to setup one of the Delay blocks as a (very low CPU) Reverb stand-in. Removing that ability may put most of my presets out of reach in the FM3:(

I've been porting over some presets this week and was surprised how many were (barely) fitting with some creative thinking. But this will really change that.

@BryantP Any chance that there is another way around this? Maybe only remove that parameter from Delay block 1? Or slightly lower the Delay block resolution, or total available time, or something? Or add a new Delay model type (Faux Verb? Delay/Verb? Moke/Verb?..lol), optimized for that purpose, with other unnecessary(?) parameters removed?

I've used the Multi-Tap delay for this purpose - give it a shot.

Not to be too cynical, but the beta team also signed off on usb/recording issues for 1.03, 1.04, and 1.05... Let’s see if the users uncover any issues and let’s hope the issues are finally behind us once and for all.

I’ll load it up and give it a go this weekend. Thanks for the continued hard work on the FM3.

The combinatorial explosion of possible hardware and software configurations that are out in the wild makes it impossible to cover every user's scenario. Personally, I haven't had USB recording issues since well before the initial release that was shipped with the first batch of FM3s.

My less than positive, yet true comment about patience was removed...
So.. I'll just say - Good job on the new firmware and thank you. Your work is much appreciated. Can't wait to get my FM3 and it seems like I won't need to wait that much longer! :) I am just slightly worried that the dps limits of the FM3 tho... I don't care about some deeper parameters i never touch, or numbers of blocks, as it has all i need... I just think it would be a bummer if Axe FX 3 someday gets modelling accuracy updates that the FM3 just can't do...

I think the Axe3 outgrowing the FM3 is inevitable, but that’s a ways off. But forget the price difference for a minute, and just look at differences in the physical dimensions of the two units. Now add the price difference.

It sorta reminds me of “Strat pickup sized humbuckers”, they can’t be the same, because they ain’t the same.

With that said, if the USB issues are fixed and my FM3 never updated firmware again, I’d be happy because it does exactly what I intended it to do.

But I do like “goodie” updates.

Ha!

Very excited for new firmware install....thanks Bryant, Cliff, and Fractal Team!!!

I've used the Multi-Tap delay for this purpose - give it a shot.

I am clear that the Multi-delay "can" help as a work around for reverb.
Anyone like to share some settings for the multi in this capacity?
Might help some people to understand and try it more swiftly....

When opening FM3 Edit and clicking on Presets (preset picker) it no longer has to scan through all 512 presets before loading the list.

Is that something new?

Very excited for new firmware install....thanks Bryant, Cliff, and Fractal Team!!!

I am clear that the Multi-delay "can" help as a work around for reverb.
Anyone like to share some settings for the multi in this capacity?
Might help some people to understand and try it more swiftly....
Been trying out the 'Multitap' and 'Megatap' Delays as a pseudo-Reverb. The 'Megatap' is a bit better so far, but both pale in comparison to what I can could get out of the Delay block. And the CPU cost is still too much for many of the presets that I am currently attempting to port over.

The beta team has tested and signed off on USB issues.
Chiming in regarding the USB recording issues. I've done a few recording tests across a few presets / scenes and have successfully been able to record without any of the artifacts, pops, distortions I was seeing before this beta!!

Great news for everyone that was having issues! Thanks Fractal and team for getting this out to us, hopefully getting past these issues will allow further development towards new features and improvements for future firmware!

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like the Pitch block has been improved. I was messing around, and could step down 5 tones and still had solid tracking and not much latency. I thought it was good before, but now it's really tight. I would never use more than a whole step, but it's awesome to know it'll do more. Could be in my head... idk, but I'm happy! Thanks Fractal!

I still notice the same latency down a step.......this update did not have the new pitch block, correct ?

Back
Top Bottom