That "elusive" 80s tone....

as for the compression. i found the manual for the dbx and gleaned that it's a VCA feed forward comp with an RMS detector. attack is dependent on out level and release is dependent on front panel settings, which they don't clarify.

in the vid, he has it set to almost 8:1, with a hard knee. i reckon the attack is 15ms and the release is very fast, but also smooth. maybe 100ms. i've got it after the amp, which is how i think he has it here. up to 10db of compression when he switches to humbucker and hits it hard, so set the threshold appropriately. i reckon auto makeup and auto att/rel should be off, but i'm happy to be corrected on that.

you can see his trichorus settings in the vid, but i'm really not sure what the H3000 is doing, i don't think it's delay, but i can see "coarse" and "delay" on the screen, so i think it might be a pitch shifter acting as a dual chorus, so i'd use the detune, pan left and right, set some small delay amount (different each side, just a few ms) and then adjust the shift to taste...probably somewhere between 5 and 11 cents. plus on one side and minus on the other.

ok, i'll let you get on with it!

Sort of improving with rather high ratio and hard knee (studio FB1 compressor). Great improvment btw in recent FW!! I guess I will be struggling further through the weekend with compressor before coming to the "wet" parts.

At least I got my "80s lady" out of the closet. Dang forgot the trouble changing that battery under the pick guard :D
Valley Arts-SL-Custom-Pro.jpg

I had to have a go too. Probably right off the track but you might have some fun with it. First scene is the focus and the other three are just because.

*Preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8203.

*Please note that I have Leon's LT TV Mix2 cab loaded into User 1 #84. You'll need to amend this for your own cab management. The cab itself can be downloaded from https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=666 Thanks, Leon!

Camilo, thanks for the inspiration, man. Rock on.

Video demo:

Last edited:
I had to have a go too. Probably right off the track but you might have some fun with it. First scene is the focus and the other three are just because.

Played with this tonight Burgs - super-awesome! Thanks so much for sharing and putting it together.

Also remember, most of those 80's clean tracking session tones were direct console no guitar amp. The preset Steve Stevens put up for Flesh might give you an idea of where to start but use the tri chorus. Use comp after amp, or later in the direct chain. Pitch shift +-9 or 11 experiment with one having some pre delay. Use circular and or pan delays.

I've still searching with no succes, don't know how to achieve that lush tone.
Here my track:

sounds pretty lush here. quite a lot of depth. not sure what your problem is. you're not monitoring in mono are you?

you could try adding a pitch detune in parallel. set to 100% wet. +5 and -5 (or more) and pan the voices hard left and right. that'll give you more spread.

i have to say though, your core sound is a little weird. it's missing some upper harmonics/sparkle

Last edited:
sounds pretty lush here. quite a lot of depth. not sure what your problem is. you're not monitoring in mono are you?

you could try adding a pitch detune in parallel. set to 100% wet. +5 and -5 (or more) and pan the voices hard left and right. that'll give you more spread.

i have to say though, your core sound is a little weird. it's missing some upper harmonics/sparkle
Thanks so much to advice!

Greetings all and thanks for all input so far. Sorry for the radio silence, been "wire brushing" the hell out of a few factories that cocked up. Should be back on my tone hunt this weekend and if all goes well share some tones for your review (or laughter) :D

*Preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8203.

*Please note that I have Leon's LT TV Mix2 cab loaded into User 1 #84. You'll need to amend this for your own cab management. The cab itself can be downloaded from https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=666 Thanks, Leon!

Camilo, thanks for the inspiration, man. Rock on.

Video demo:

Hi Burgs,

Do you think that your preset will fit for the FM3 ?

Cheers.

I will for sure, just waiting that my FM3 arrives ! ( on Monday 🤞🏻)
My question was just this preset includes both 80’s clean and lead ;)

How did you get Burgs preset to work on the FM3.? It kept locking up my FM3 edit when I tried to fit it in the FM3 due to cpu overload

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom