Axe-Fx 3 worth to use only for bass?

feliperigby

Inspired
I had Axe FX 2 a long time ago.
Sold it and went to Kemper, that has a lack of effects and if you don´t get the correct amp profiler, it will suck the hell balls.
So I sold it too and went to the Helix. It is a good unit for bass use only.
Nowadays with Axe Fx3 and the FM3, to use only for bass, worth the migration?
I know that there are few amps, but mainly I am an Ampeg guy... In the helix, has svt classic and svt 4 pro amps. For me if the SV Bass sounds as a real Ampeg SVT Classic, for me will be ok.

The gay here are the effects.
I mainly use chorus, phaser and some times flanger. Are they different from Axe Fx 2?
And the distortions? Besides the b7k block. Are there other ones?
Is it possible to achieve any sansamp distortion effect on axe 3?

It is definitely worth. The effects are much better than in FX2 (I still have it), sound of amps and cabs is great. The distorsions are great, you have to think outside the box - not treat block as the devices they were based as they have much more possibilities. And yes, you can achieve the sound of Sansamp, Alpha-Omega and many others.

Everything is improved.

Sounds like an FM3 would work for you. They're very easy to return or resell f you decide not to keep it.

Sansamp distortion would just be distorting the DI signal, right? There are very many ways to do that (google for a list of drive pedals). And the knowledge base on this forum is sure to get you in the ballpark either way.

Everything is improved.

Sounds like an FM3 would work for you. They're very easy to return or resell f you decide not to keep it.

Sansamp distortion would just be distorting the DI signal, right? There are very many ways to do that (google for a list of drive pedals). And the knowledge base on this forum is sure to get you in the ballpark either way.

I´ll do a lot of searches before pulling the trigger again in a FAS unit.
I´m a rack guy.
Use Sennheisers IEM and Wireless for the bass. And I prefere just a controller in front of me on the stages...

I´ll do a lot of searches before pulling the trigger again in a FAS unit.
I´m a rack guy.
Use Sennheisers IEM and Wireless for the bass. And I prefere just a controller in front of me on the stages...

Definitely post in the preset exchange section about any specific tones you want to find. I've found people to be very helpful with both presets to audition and how to tweak your own. There are a few small footprint controllers available, all with plenty of ability to change tones and where they're sent.

Are you guys using direct to FOH and IEM with fractal or what?

I'm recording solo right now, but my plan is FOH and a personal monitor when I'm gigging again.

I had Axe FX 2 a long time ago.
Sold it and went to Kemper, that has a lack of effects and if you don´t get the correct amp profiler, it will suck the hell balls.
So I sold it too and went to the Helix. It is a good unit for bass use only.
Nowadays with Axe Fx3 and the FM3, to use only for bass, worth the migration?
I know that there are few amps, but mainly I am an Ampeg guy... In the helix, has svt classic and svt 4 pro amps. For me if the SV Bass sounds as a real Ampeg SVT Classic, for me will be ok.

The gay here are the effects.
I mainly use chorus, phaser and some times flanger. Are they different from Axe Fx 2?
And the distortions? Besides the b7k block. Are there other ones?
Is it possible to achieve any sansamp distortion effect on axe 3?

Check out what Budda posted in an earlier thread (mining for thunder) for some grindy SV Bass content. As a bassist I'm sure the AF3 would slay for bass. I would think it would be a little overkill myself. Unless you really want rack gear, I would look more toward the FM3 based on cost alone. I'm on the FM3 waitlist and am stoked as it get's closer to go time for me. My old AX8 had great chorus & flanger, I'm sure the FM3 will even be better. I currently run a Darkglass X7 & several tech 21 pedals (DP-3X & BDDI) for distortion/grind. I have no doubt the sounds I need will be in the FM3. Also check out Leon Todd's page, he has an episode where he works on a great bass tone. My only issue now is the wait.......

Yes, out 1 with cab sim to IEM/headphones (with switchable patch/IEM input sound to have possibility to have only IEM mix), out 2 with cab sim to FOH, Out 3 without cab sim to amp (optional), IN/OUT 4 for optional 4CM. In 1 wireless in, in3 IEM mix in.

I ended up getting a Helix specifically because I'm a bassist as well as guitarist, and it targets bass more than any other modeler (pretty much all of the major dedicated bass effects, amps, cabs, etc are built in).

For guitar alone, or if you don't mind trying to mimick bass effects by using models of other effects (such as studio effects, which is of course doable with effort), then the axe is amazing. For bass, out of the box though, the helix is amazing.

Just pointing that there are products that cater to bassists more. What the axe DOES include for bass is outstanding, absolutely. Just not a lot of stuff there that is actual bass effects/amps modeled.

I had a helix LT and didnt notice more bass stuff, but I didnt write down the number of amps and cabs in each.

Last edited:
@feliperigby Some ideas I posted in previous threads here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/respect-the-low-end.156793/post-1899146

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...d-off-of-shelter-in-place.159676/post-1922893

I originally bought my Axe-Fx II for bass use and was never disappointed. The Axe-Fx III is even better since more of the non-bass amps work really well with bass.

I´ll check it out.
From what I had researched, the Axe3 is a really great piece of unit for bass.
When I had the Axe2, I was dissapointed with the unit so I went to other ones.
Let´s see the near future, axe 3 for me is in the radar again :hearteyes::hearteyes:

I had a helix LT and didnt notice more bass stuff, but I didnt write down the number of amps and cabs in each.
Helix 2.92 firmware BASS SPECIFIC MODELS:

AMPS:
Ampeg B-15NF Portaflex
Ampeg SVT (normal channel)
Ampeg SVT (bright channel)
Ampeg® SVT-4 PRO
Acoustic 360
Aguilar DB751
MESA/Boogie M9 Carbine
MESA/Boogie Bass 400+ (channel 1)
MESA/Boogie Bass 400+ (channel 2)
Gallien-Krueger GK 800RB
Sunn Coliseum 300
Pearce BC-1 preamp, ch 1
Pearce BC-1 preamp, ch 2
Pearce BC-1 preamp, ch 1 and 2 jumped

CABS:
1x15 Ampeg B-15
8x10 SV Ampeg SVT E
1×18 Woody Blue
6x10 Cali Power
2x15 Brute
6x10 Cali Power
4x10 Rhino
1×18 Del Sol
8x10 SV Beast

EFFECTS:
Ampeg Scrambler Bass Overdrive
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI V1
Darkglass Electronics, Microtubes B7K bass pre
Wounded Paw Battering Ram bass OD
EBS OctaBass
Musitronics Mu-Tron III (not bass specific, but has mode that is commonly used on bass)

Then of course there are the effects that work great for bass or have a bass mode, like one of the wah pedals that does bass range as an option, and all of the modulation and delay and compressor pedals/rack effects (LA-2A, for example, but Axe has all of the shared stuff too and more for guitar than helix does, so pros/cons there!).

I wanted to list the current bass specific models here, just in the interest of full disclosure.

As opposed to on the Axe where frequent suggestions, which DO work well, are things like "use Jazz model 120 for bass", or "add your own CAB IR". Or just use the ampeg model. There is more to life than ampeg svt.

Now of course, cabs, yes, you can add bass cab IRs to the axe, if you can find them. But the darkglass? Sansamp? GK rb-800 head into a 610 mesa bass cab? That sort of stuff is why I love the helix for bass over any other modeler out there. The device best suited to bass is the zoom bass specific modelers.... but I've bought and sold more Zoom floor modelers over the years than I care to mention. The editing has always let me down with Zoom.

Anyhow - I'm not here to tout a competing product... I'm saying it had that benefit for me as a guitarist and bassist.

I'll tell ya, though, the BIG challenge is finding an FRFR or other small, light, NEO-speakered, class-D (in other words, light) powered cab that can handle bass at good solid band rehearsal volume, no matter what modeler you work with!

Last edited:

When i use my axe fx iii for a bass gig, channel 1 goes to FOH, as well as my personal monitor up front. Channel 2 has no cab emulation and goes direct to a powered Blackstar 1x15 that sits next to the drummer so he can feel my thump.

When i use my axe fx iii for a bass gig, channel 1 goes to FOH, as well as my personal monitor up front. Channel 2 has no cab emulation and goes direct to a powered Blackstar 1x15 that sits next to the drummer so he can feel my thump.
Excellent setup! I never thought of giving a bass-only monitor to the drummer (I'm assuming the blackstar is bass only).

@dkelley what is the axe fx iii amp and cab list? The b7k is in there as well. I know off the top of my head there is sv1, sv2, AD200, portaflex, mesa 400 (1 and 2) and perhaps a GK. Definitely a few 410s and 115s with the 810 being a legacy slot.

Excellent setup! I never thought of giving a bass-only monitor to the drummer (I'm assuming the blackstar is bass only).

Yep. He definitely loves having it, and it’s nice to have when i walk around stage - really helps to distribute the bass across any remaining dead spots.

we are going to experiment with putting the drummer on IEMs and see if he gets anything out of the “thump” factor out of the cab - if not then it’s one less thing i have to bring (And possibly for sale!)

this is the exact powered cab -https://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar/Unity-250ACT-250W-1x15-Powered-Extension-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet.gc

@dkelley what is the axe fx iii amp and cab list? The b7k is in there as well. I know off the top of my head there is sv1, sv2, AD200, portaflex, mesa 400 (1 and 2) and perhaps a GK. Definitely a few 410s and 115s with the 810 being a legacy slot.
Awesome! I have never seen that info before this moment. Very cool if they have this stuff now, although I still haven't seen that info anywhere before this.

I might have to rethink my choice in the future if Fractal is now giving bass the sort of modeling focus that Line6 is.

Update: Well, I did more digging - seems that just be random chance, the amp I praised for helix bass isn't in axe yet? GK RB series? Anyhow, good to see that axe is finally doing more than just the ampeg amps of the past, although it still seems like a limited selection.

One thing I LOVE about axefx products is that right out of the box they SOUND great just as they are and respond amazingly well, preset/amp/cab wise. Great products. There are pros and cons with helix, like I said... I still know I made the right choice for me, but I'll be back to axe one day probably LoL, knowing me.

Last edited:
Helix 2.92 firmware BASS SPECIFIC MODELS:

AMPS:
Ampeg B-15NF Portaflex
Ampeg SVT (normal channel)
Ampeg SVT (bright channel)
Ampeg® SVT-4 PRO
Acoustic 360
Aguilar DB751
MESA/Boogie M9 Carbine
MESA/Boogie Bass 400+ (channel 1)
MESA/Boogie Bass 400+ (channel 2)
Gallien-Krueger GK 800RB
Sunn Coliseum 300
Pearce BC-1 preamp, ch 1
Pearce BC-1 preamp, ch 2
Pearce BC-1 preamp, ch 1 and 2 jumped

CABS:
1x15 Ampeg B-15
8x10 SV Ampeg SVT E
1×18 Woody Blue
6x10 Cali Power
2x15 Brute
6x10 Cali Power
4x10 Rhino
1×18 Del Sol
8x10 SV Beast

EFFECTS:
Ampeg Scrambler Bass Overdrive
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI V1
Darkglass Electronics, Microtubes B7K bass pre
Wounded Paw Battering Ram bass OD
EBS OctaBass
Musitronics Mu-Tron III (not bass specific, but has mode that is commonly used on bass)

Then of course there are the effects that work great for bass or have a bass mode, like one of the wah pedals that does bass range as an option, and all of the modulation and delay and compressor pedals/rack effects (LA-2A, for example, but Axe has all of the shared stuff too and more for guitar than helix does, so pros/cons there!).

I wanted to list the current bass specific models here, just in the interest of full disclosure.

As opposed to on the Axe where frequent suggestions, which DO work well, are things like "use Jazz model 120 for bass", or "add your own CAB IR". Or just use the ampeg model. There is more to life than ampeg svt.

Now of course, cabs, yes, you can add bass cab IRs to the axe, if you can find them. But the darkglass? Sansamp? GK rb-800 head into a 610 mesa bass cab? That sort of stuff is why I love the helix for bass over any other modeler out there. The device best suited to bass is the zoom bass specific modelers.... but I've bought and sold more Zoom floor modelers over the years than I care to mention. The editing has always let me down with Zoom.

Anyhow - I'm not here to tout a competing product... I'm saying it had that benefit for me as a guitarist and bassist.

I'll tell ya, though, the BIG challenge is finding an FRFR or other small, light, NEO-speakered, class-D (in other words, light) powered cab that can handle bass at good solid band rehearsal volume, no matter what modeler you work with!

The main problem in the cabs from the helix are that the stock ones are not good.
An IR is 10000% better sounding if you compare with the bass stock cabs in helix...

Anyhow, good to see that axe is finally doing more than just the ampeg amps of the past, although it still seems like a limited selection.
When was the last time you looked?

The Axe Fx II has a number of bass-specific amp models and has for a long time. There weren't too many factory IRs for bass but there were also far fewer factory IRs all together than the Axe Fx III.

The amp models specifically for bass are:

Orange AD200
FAS Bass
Ampeg Portaflex
Ampeg SVT (2 models)
Mesa Boogie Bass 400

Also, don't forget the Bassman is a bass amp...

And that many great bass tones are recorded direct, and there are lots of tools in the box to get them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom