Inexpensive guitars

I have two Harley Benton that are stupidly good for the money, one is a LP type with P90s and the other is, let's say, very similar to the Pete Thorn signature Suhr. I own also a Gibson LP and a Suhr Modern. I cannot say there are not big differences, but these are, for my needs, not proportional to the price abysm between them. Sure a professional player would pick up the Suhr because it is amazingly stable, whilst the HB needs some more adjustment work on temperature and humidity changes, plus the Suhr came from the factory in 10/10 shape.

Also I have a PRS SE with roasted maple, and man, for 899 Euros, the guitar is simple flawless, I actually like it better than my LP Standard.

For the most part, I agree 100%. $1000 is my sweet spot (maybe $1500-1600 if it's something special like a Strandberg).

The only exception for me personally is I've wanted a USA Kelly in all black for almost 3 decades now. I'm finally in a financial position where I can get one, so I'm gonna treat myself damnit.
Agreed, when you find that special guitar you've always wanted - then I'll also splurge and spend the coin.
My most recent was a 70's Les Paul Gold Top....very light, plays amazing, and just the right amount of (natural) aging.
That was expensive, and worth every penny, as I've always wanted one.

I have two Harley Benton that are stupidly good for the money, one is a LP type with P90s and the other is, let's say, very similar to the Pete Thorn signature Suhr. I own also a Gibson LP and a Suhr Modern. I cannot say there are not big differences, but these are, for my needs, not proportional to the price abysm between them. Sure a professional player would pick up the Suhr because it is amazingly stable, whilst the HB needs some more adjustment work on temperature and humidity changes, plus the Suhr came from the factory in 10/10 shape.

Also I have a PRS SE with roasted maple, and man, for 899 Euros, the guitar is simple flawless, I actually like it better than my LP Standard.

I'm not gonna lie, I've had my eye on a couple HB models, they've been getting crazy good reviews for the money.

Godin guitars are very underrated i find. I picked up a used Velocity and it plays and sounds excellent. Flame Maple body, SD Custom 5 humbucker and 2 Godin Single Coils, the action is low and clean, very versatile guitar. Built in the US from Canadian materials for $450 CAD!!

BBA10201-0FD1-4B8F-9494-288EC12C54D6.jpeg

Godin's Summit Classic Supreme has been blipping away on my radar for a while too, a very nice looking alternative to the LP
https://godinguitars.com/product/summit-classic-supreme-ltd-cherry-burst-flame-w-lollar-el-rayo

I do wish they would extend their line up to include some more contemporary style guitars for the heavier inclined music players though.

This 2015 ES-339 Pro I picked up used for $425 w/HSC about 4 years ago is an outstanding value, probably never sell it because playability and sound-wise it's worth much more than I could get for it.

I have one of those as well and it's been one of my main gigging guitars since I bought it. It's very versatile with the coil taps and the stock pickups sound so good, I haven't been able to bring myself to replace them. I recently dropped my Fishman Tripleplay pickup on it as well, so it's literally a Swiss army knife instrument.

I just picked up a Gretsch G5222 electromatic for £399 after waiting months for them to come into stock. The Andertons video got my interest in them and I have to admit the Malcolm connection played a part.
I spent the day with it today and have to agree with Lee Anderton. I’ve never been so impressed with a “cheap” guitar, and would still be over the moon if I’d paid a grand for it. The QC is unreal for a guitar in this price range, or any for that matter. Honestly, right out of the box with the wrapping still on it, the action and intonation were spot on. Most importantly it plays and sounds great too, way better than any of my other £1k and under guitars (except maybe my PRS Bernie SE) and has a good go at holding its own with ones way more expensive. Went great with any Marshall I threw at it.
The pickguard is coming off as it gets in my way and I might go the whole hog and take the neck pickup out! ;)

754F4804-791B-4B23-B801-39E7E1A518C2.jpeg

In 1995 I bought my first new cheap guitar a Fender MIM strat for $279.
I had nothing but upper end American made guitars until that time.
Mostly Gibsons.
I have been through many guitars in my life. I didn't expect to have that MIM strat for a long time.

But that purchase long ago taught me you don't have to spend a ton of $$$$ to have a great guitar.

I do most everything to my guitars except fret work.
So that helps a lot.
The way I see it the fret work and setup are key for enjoying any instrument.

I have a guy! Ha ha seriously a pro luthier who lives close to me. He has an amazing set of tools.
He does fantastic work! Most everything I get goes through him.

Last edited:
I am a Tom Anderson and Suhr guy, but I also have been known to play vintage brand guitars, and I sell a few at my shows. People hear them and want to buy them. The main ones I use are a vintage v52 distressed, and a v100 lemon drop, both are great guitars and under $500. They sound a play great right out of the box.

I do wish they would extend their line up to include some more contemporary style guitars for the heavier inclined music players though.
They used to, check out the Godin "redline" for example.
godin-redline-3-guitar-590x272.jpg

There was even a more extreme metal one called the "nemesis"

godinnemesis.jpg

I guess the challenge with this style of guitar is that people who buy them usually tend to get them because they see players they like playing them, and Godin just doesn't have that kind of marketing, which is probably why they were discontinued.

Also, having started out in Montreal in the 60s, Robert Godin is very much a jazz guy which is probably why their lineup leans so heavily in that direction.

I had a friend who was use to top of the line guitars. He had guitar companies give him guitars when his band was signed to Sony records in the late 80's. I played in a band with him in the late 2010's. When his old band started doing reunion tours in Europe, he didn't want to take his "pride & joy" guitars. He bought a few Ibanez RG somethings on the local CL and used them for the tour. He said that for the price they were unbelievable. He changed the pups & did a good set-up, and bam, tour guitar. It convinced me to buy one as well. Mine had a nick, but I think I paid $125 for it used. With new strings & a set-up, it's plenty good for me.IMG_20201102_192519.jpg

If you paid $125 for the guitar then you got an exceptional deal. That's not "cheap" one ;)

If you look at the tone knob close, you can see where it fell of the stand and put a nice crack in the wood. I talked him down from $175 because of it. Doesn't bother me. Like I said, I'm a hack guitarist and only use it for writing. I have had a couple more accomplished guitarist play it, and both said the neck was fast. I wouldn't know though, my playing is still in 1st gear. :D

This 2015 ES-339 Pro I picked up used for $425 w/HSC about 4 years ago is an outstanding value, probably never sell it because playability and sound-wise it's worth much more than I could get for it.
I've been wanting a smaller hollow body for a while, been eyeing the Epi 339 and also the Ibanez AM93.

I have an AS200 which is a really sweet guitar but I never play it because I just don't get along with the larger body style. It's also 40 years old so I don't know if the build quality and playability of a new AM style is comparable.

I bought a taylor sb1 in mint condition for $800. It was around a $3k guitar new. Absolutely amazing guitar on par with PRS, Suhr, Anderson etc. Seems like they are overlooked and can be had for pretty good deals on the used market.

Back
Top Bottom