MacOS Catalina Core Audio Issue?

By the way, this drives me nuts. I'd love to just turn on my Axe FX III and start playing without having to fiddle around unplugging and reconnecting USB cables.

Is this Core Audio bug an Apple OS issue? Or is it specific to Logic Pro X?

I'd love it if we could collectively tackle this and maybe go after Apple or something... I can't be the only one tired of this aggravation.

It’s not just Logic ... I use studio one by Presonus although I have Logic X Pro as well. It seems to me if I recall it even affected being able to play music in iTunes.

It’s not just Logic ... I use studio one by Presonus although I have Logic X Pro as well. It seems to me if I recall it even affected being able to play music in iTunes.

This is correct. It's basically hosed at the OS level; if you go to the Sound config in Settings you won't be able to play any sounds even though the Axe III is selected. Unplugging and plugging it back in will resolve the issue. Turning the Axe off and on again will not, however.

Using Reason on my end, when it's in this state the Axe III shows up in the device list, but with a red X indicating it's not functioning properly.

This is correct. It's basically hosed at the OS level; if you go to the Sound config in Settings you won't be able to play any sounds even though the Axe III is selected. Unplugging and plugging it back in will resolve the issue. Turning the Axe off and on again will not, however.

Using Reason on my end, when it's in this state the Axe III shows up in the device list, but with a red X indicating it's not functioning properly.

Yeah, it sees the Axe FX III as a device but there's no sound. Unplug USB and plug back in solves it. So annoying!!

I’ve had this happen before also. Closing some apps and rebooting axe or unplugging fixed it each time.

Wondering if anyone can help with this issue. I frequently keep my production iMac on and shut off the Axe III at night. However, sometimes when I turn the Axe back on, it's detected by MacOS, but doesn't seem to be interfacing with Core Audio correctly. The only way to knock it out of its stupor is to reboot the Mac. I've even tried the terminal command to nuke Core Audio and reload it and that doesn't make any difference. The Axe appears in my DAW but is listed as not functional and doesn't play sound.

Anyone else run into this? Any solutions or ideas? Rebooting isn't the end of the world, but it's very annoying.
Thank god for this thread. I was getting seriously frustrated. Unplug usb and replug and boom instantly works. No aggregate needed, axe-FX directly as the input/output. macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Logic Pro X 10.5.1

Axe-Fx III Mac 10.14 Mojave with Logic Pro using the Axe-Fx as the audio interface, sound would work for a few minutes and then audio would stop, only a reboot would fix it. I think the problem was sample rate Logic was setting the default at 44.1. I changed it to 48, rebooted, and life is good. I don't know if this is relevant to the problem described in the OP.

The setting is at Preferences - Recording - Recording Project Settings - click on Audio at the top - now you can change it to 48

Wondering if anyone can help with this issue. I frequently keep my production iMac on and shut off the Axe III at night. However, sometimes when I turn the Axe back on, it's detected by MacOS, but doesn't seem to be interfacing with Core Audio correctly. The only way to knock it out of its stupor is to reboot the Mac. I've even tried the terminal command to nuke Core Audio and reload it and that doesn't make any difference. The Axe appears in my DAW but is listed as not functional and doesn't play sound.

Anyone else run into this? Any solutions or ideas? Rebooting isn't the end of the world, but it's very annoying.
Thank god for this thread. I was getting seriously frustrated. Unplug usb and replug and boom instantly works. No aggregate needed, axe-FX directly as the input/output. macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Logic Pro X 10.5.1

Anyone having issues similar this (i.e. needing to unplug USB cable or reboot computer) you can contact support as we have a new USB firmware available. We don't want to release it to the general public yet but we are pretty sure this should solve most of these issues.

Anyone having issues similar this (i.e. needing to unplug USB cable or reboot computer) you can contact support as we have a new USB firmware available. We don't want to release it to the general public yet but we are pretty sure this should solve most of these issues.
Thanks Cliff, Mark sent it to me this evening, after hours... you guys Rock !!!! Installed...
Eagerly awaiting my Invite for the Axe FX III Mark II ...

My Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen used to have the same identical issue, and it was solved by a firmware + driver update. I think this is something Fractal can solve on their side but it's clearly tricky to diagnose because most manufacturers took quite a bit to get it to the point where most USB devices don't have a "disappear on wake from sleep" problem. Have you reported the issue to support?

My Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen used to have the same identical issue, and it was solved by a firmware + driver update. I think this is something Fractal can solve on their side but it's clearly tricky to diagnose because most manufacturers took quite a bit to get it to the point where most USB devices don't have a "disappear on wake from sleep" problem. Have you reported the issue to support?
lol I posted without reading the response from fractal, at least I take solace in being directionally right :)

Yeah, it sees the Axe FX III as a device but there's no sound. Unplug USB and plug back in solves it. So annoying!!
This doesn't work for me. I have tried unplugging it, disabling it, plugging it into a different port and nothing works unless I reboot the AxeFX

This doesn't work for me. I have tried unplugging it, disabling it, plugging it into a different port and nothing works unless I reboot the AxeFX
I also tried the new driver. I was really hoping that would fix it. I like to play along with a drum app I have or backing tracking and it just sounds so much better through my speakers.

Curious if this is fixing the issue? Looks like one person said no, but not a lot of feedback.

Since I see the USB Firmware update on Fractal's site is dated April 2019, and Cliff posted about an updated USB on Sept 2020, folks with issues should still contact support to get the correct fix, right?

Yes, if you have a Mac. Contact support and they'll send you the new MAC USB Beta Firmware. They sent it to me and it's working great...

Last edited:

Thanks Cliff! Does that apply to issues with aggregate devices that include the Axe-FX III as well?

Back
Top Bottom