First preset gets deleted when switching to it from another preset

Try to wait a few minutes before you switch to preset 000. In my case this is the most important factor to reproduce it. It never happens on instant back and forth switching.

Well you are right. I played on preset #2 for about 15 minutes and tried out a bunch of the new drives. When I switched back to preset #1 it was empty. So unplugging the FC-12 did not help.

So what have we learned so far about this:

1. It has deleted the first preset with no FC-12 plugged in at all when changing presets with Axe Edit. (So it's probably not the FC-12)

2. It has deleted the first preset with Axe Edit turned off when changing presets from the FC-12. (So it's probably not Axe Edit)

3. It first started happening with firmware 12.14 and continues with 13.01. (So that looks like a likely place to start looking).

4. It can takes about 15 minutes for it to happen, and it seems to happen after editing a preset (or just turning on and off various effects). Whether you save it or not. Like tonight when I was trying out different drive blocks, then switched back to preset #1 and it was empty.

That's all I got. I can't think of anything else to try. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
No the problem would not be solved. It's only a temporary workaround until this bug is fixed. I am sure Cliff will not let this go unsolved.

I think yek is saying as a remedy till the problem is found and fixed.

Considering all the posts and the history ...it may take awhile or be fixed timely.

I think we should avoid utilizing preset 1. In the interim, we could move on as usual jamming’ the best Amp modeler the world has ever seen!

Reactions: yek
Thanks for looking into it.

Some more more observations from me. Meanwhile I can force that behavior.

You have to stay on an arbitrary preset (except 001 or 002 - if you start counting from 000) and stay on this preset for at least 35 seconds. If you stay less than 35 seconds the described error will not happen! Is there something in each preset (or somewhere else) which will be triggered after 35 seconds?

If you now switch directly to preset 000 this preset is missing.

The error doesn't occur if you switch from 001 to 000 or from 002 to 000.
But it will if you switch from >= 003 to 000.

Thanks for looking into it.

Some more more observations from me. Meanwhile I can force that behavior.

You have to stay on an arbitrary preset (except 001 or 002 - if you start counting from 000) and stay on this preset for at least 35 seconds. If you stay less than 35 seconds the described error will not happen! Is there something in each preset (or somewhere else) which will be triggered after 35 seconds?

If you now switch directly to preset 000 this preset is missing.

The error doesn't occur if you switch from 001 to 000 or from 002 to 000.
But it will if you switch from >= 003 to 000.
Does it happen with factory presets?

And let me also add to what is shown in the video which Cliff may find really interesting - I can close and reopen axe edit, preset 1 will be blank, and in fact also blank on the axe fx screen itself, however if I open the preset list (which would scan all presets all over again, the preset is still in slot one! It is only if I change scenes with axe edit and then look at the list of presets, does it show empty and needing to be resaved.

If I do not resave, but instead power cycle the axe fx, the preset is restored once again.

edit: Clarification - I use the +1 display offset. I tested, and it appears to be an accurate statement by another forum member, i can change between presets 1,2,and 3, with no problems, but if I come from another higher number, directly to preset 1, after having been in that other preset longer than 35 seconds, that is when I lose sight of preset 1.

Thanks

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know if the others are also using a non-default "display offset" setting.

I can confirm that I lose preset 1 when not using axe edit to change presets. I used my midi foot controller with the same odd results. When I changed from preset 100 to preset 1 with midi, the preset was lost.

However, after I rebooted, I scrolled down to preset 2 with the front panel wheel, then changed to PC1 with midi, and the preset was there like it is supposed to be.

Weird!

I should point out, that in my case, my gigging presets begin at preset #21 and go up from there, due to the way I organize my midi songs, unrelated to Fractal, so I've never needed to worry about slots 1-20 before this thread appeared.

I can confirm that I lose preset 1 when not using axe edit to change presets. I used my midi foot controller with the same odd results. When I changed from preset 100 to preset 1 with midi, the preset was lost.

However, after I rebooted, I scrolled down to preset 2 with the front panel wheel, then changed to PC1 with midi, and the preset was there like it is supposed to be.

Weird!

I should point out, that in my case, my gigging presets begin at preset #21 and go up from there, due to the way I organize my midi songs, unrelated to Fractal, so I've never needed to worry about slots 1-20 before this thread appeared.
Is the preset actually lost or is Axe-Edit just displaying a blank preset? IOW, if you use the front panel is the preset blank there too?

It would be interesting to know if the others are also using a non-default "display offset" setting.
I am not.

Is the preset actually lost or is Axe-Edit just displaying a blank preset? IOW, if you use the front panel is the preset blank there too?
When this has happened to me I have not had Axe Edit open, the preset is blank when viewed from the front panel and I get no sound. The preset returns when I reboot.

Cliff - the preset is physically empty and has no shunts or effects blocks. It produces no audio. I was wondering the same thing, is this an optical issue only, but the preset is really there and works fine, but no, it is really gone. The only weird thing is what I mentioned before - after the preset is lost, if you close and reopen axe edit, and then click the preset up/down buttons which causes the popup window to open and display all presets, the first preset name is still in slot 1. It shouldn't be, since the slot is blank on the Axe's front panel screen, but it is still in Axe Edit even though shutting down and reopening axe edit should make it scan all presets. I even forced a rescan the way you would when you install new axe edit, and the preset name was still there. Only changing a scene in preset 1, caused the name to be lost in Axe Edit. Restarting the Axe FX restored the preset in my case - every time.

I also want you to have every detail I've observed - one detail was that when I switched from preset 2 to preset 1 with midi, I was able to successfully switch to preset 100 and back to 1 with midi two times, the third time I tried to do that, the preset 1 was gone. So, I don't know if that helps, but it was almost like, after switching from preset 2 to preset 1, it helped it load somehow, and allowed me to change from a preset higher than preset 3 a couple of times before I lost preset 1 again.

Attachments

• 200813-220015-bank-A.syx
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 200813-220015-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 0
Another observation, might probably be helpful for debugging.
I started the Axe-Fx III.
After the boot process is finished, it shows preset 007. Because that was the last one I used before I switched the Axe-Fx III off.
Then I made a backup of Bank A via Fractal Bot ("Firmware Friday" :wink:). I did nothing else, just the backup.

Result: Preset 000 is missing in the backup file for Bank A and disappeared in the Axe-Fx, even though I did not even switch to preset 000!
(probably the backup process switched to preset 000?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom