First preset gets deleted when switching to it from another preset

I just had this happen to me for the first time. I’m on 13.01, Axe Edit was not connected. Twice while switching from preset 2 to 1 with my FC12, preset 1 loads as Empty. Only a reboot fixed it.

I am using the offset setting, so my first preset is 001. The issue first started back on 12.14 for me. It has happened both with and without Axe Edit being on. My firmware is current for the FC-12, Axe FXIII, and Axe Edit and it's still happening.

Exactly the same just happened here for the first time. I upgraded to 13.01 just a few days ago. Coincidence? :oops:

Edit:
I can reproduce it. I have a preset on location 005 and approx. 1 of 5 times when I switch from this preset to the first preset (location 000), the first preset is empty. Switching the Axe off and on again, the preset is back. But I have to stay a few minutes (> 5 min) on the preset on location 005. Just switching back and forth between this and 000 has no effect.

The interesting part is, that it happened first shortly after I changed the drive from a "T800 Mod" to the "Compulsion Drive" in the preset at location 005. Could it have something to do with the new drives?

@FractalAudio: I can send you the preset, if that helps

Last edited:
I just had it happen again two or three times in less than an hour of playing. It seems random but happens pretty frequently. I am not using a display offset. I do have a layout link that fires when I select a preset, but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

Exactly the same just happened here for the first time. I upgraded to 13.01 just a few days ago. Coincidence? :oops:

Edit:
I can reproduce it. I have a preset on location 005 and approx. 1 of 5 times when I switch from this preset to the first preset (location 000), the first preset is empty. Switching the Axe off and on again, the preset is back. But I have to stay a few minutes (> 5 min) on the preset on location 005. Just switching back and forth between this and 000 has no effect.

The interesting part is, that it happened first shortly after I changed the drive from a "T800 Mod" to the "Compulsion Drive" in the preset at location 005. Could it have something to do with the new drives?

@FractalAudio: I can send you the preset, if that helps
How are you changing presets? Are you using an FC? My guess is that it's something to do with the foot controller code.

How are you changing presets? Are you using an FC? My guess is that it's something to do with the foot controller code.

I've been on FC-12 firmware 1.11 for some time and it always worked fine up until Axe FXIII firmware 12.14. It started on firmware 12.14.

With Axe Edit on, it is happening whether switching presets with the FC-12, or switching presets within Axe Edit.

It is also happening by just switching presets on the FC-12, without Axe Edit even being turned on.

I've been on FC-12 firmware 1.11 for some time and it always worked fine up until Axe FXIII firmware 12.14. It started on firmware 12.14.

With Axe Edit on, it is happening whether switching presets with the FC-12, or switching presets within Axe Edit.

It is also happening by just switching presets on the FC-12, without Axe Edit even being turned on.
Does it happen if you disconnect the FC?

It doesn't matter if I use the FC or Axe-Edit, but there was always an FC-12 connected.
I will try it again later with Axe-Edit and a disconnected FC.

I can confirm that it also happens when there's no FC connected and I change presets via Axe-Edit, like @Rich5150 already wrote.

I also think that it started with FW 12.14 or 13.00. Can't tell much about 12.14, because I had it only installed a few hours and then switched to 13.01 on which it happens pretty often.

May be helpful or interesting: This never happens when I instantly switch back and forth between two presets. I have to stay on one preset for a while (a few minutes) and only then it happens when I switch to preset 000.

Last edited:

I did unplug the FC-12 and plug it back in to see if that changed anything and that didn't help. It just deleted preset #1 going from preset #2 with Axe Edit so I have to re-boot the Axe FXIII.

I'll try disconnecting the FC-12 completely now and see how that affects it for me.

Ok, I just disconnected the FC-12 and used Axe Edit to switch back and forth from preset 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 1 to 4, 1 to 5, 1 to 6, 1 to 7, 1 to 8, 1 to 9, 1 to 10, then reversed the sequence back down again. I tried switching presets in order, 1, 2 , 3 ,4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. I tried editing several presets then switching back to preset #1. I tried changing something in a preset but not saving it and switching back to preset #1.

I will probably do some more editing tonight with the FC-12 unplugged and will let you know if it happens again, but so far in all cases it worked fine. Preset #1 did not delete itself when the FC-12 was unplugged.

Update: I played on preset #2 later in the night for about 15 minutes and tried out a bunch of the new drives. When I switched back to preset #1 it was empty. So unplugging the FC-12 did not help.

Last edited:
Try to wait a few minutes before you switch to preset 000. In my case this is the most important factor to reproduce it. It never happens on instant back and forth switching.

I was trying to think if I did anything different on the FC-12 starting with 12.14 than I'd done before. I did. I changed a layout with Axe Edit so that it had four switches that selected channels A and B of Drive 1, and A and B of Drive 2, and 5 switches that turned on / off control switches for input trim, input boost, cut, fat switch, and saturation. All of these functions worked fine with the FC-12, but it was after I made these changes that preset #1 started deleting itself. I don't know if it's related or not.

Oh, I also changed something in the FC-12 layouts (I added some layout links). I will revert to the previous layouts (fortunately I saved them) and test it again.

Back
Top Bottom