Drive Pedal Heaven

Pretty sure last time I looked it was a 3 transistor circuit, will need to dig through some boxes to find out if I still have one, but it has been the one that I missed most when I moved away from physical pedals. The Bender model doesn't have the insane out of control bass and high mid harshness. I have EQ'd to try to replicate, but never really got the same look of shock and awe from bandmates and audience as when I hit the nuclear button on the Supa Tonebender. I still have a mid 90's Russian Big Muff Pi, and I think that must be more after the Triangle than the Ram's Head (which I never tried). Massive and smooth, but never aggressive or harsh enough to make me laugh like when using a Supa Tone Bender. It's not a nice sound, but can be a very good one. ;)

Liam

Interesting! I haven't seen a 3-transistor Colorsound Supa before. Does yours look like this one (https://www.coda-effects.com/2015/10/vintage-colorsound-supa-tonebender-1973.html)?

I have a big red JEN Jumbo Fuzz from '73 that elicits the same reaction. It's just a massive sounding fuzzbox. It's based on the V1 Big Muff, though.

I created a preset for myself, where each scene puts a Drive type in the spotlight.

I selected:
  1. BB pre
  2. Eternal Love
  3. Heartpedal 11
  4. Jam Ray
  5. T808 OD
  6. Timothy 2
  7. Tone of Kings
  8. [ ... ]
These ODs sound kind of similar. I dialed them in for low gain, and placed them before a Deluxe Reverb. I'm aiming for that pushed-Fender sound.

First of all, all of these 7 overdrives sound fantastic in v13 Beta. Each one of them could be my main OD. Yes, they sound similar, but certain details set them apart, such as transparency.

My current favorite is (I think): Tone of Kings, based on AnalogMan's King of Tone (KOT). Not only because of its sound, but also because the thing is so easy to dial in and I like that.

But ... there was another candidate. Scene 8 features the SHIMMER DRIVE, Fractal Audio's custom creation. Unlike the others, this model isn't based on virtual diodes. But with some tweaking (low Drive, increase Bass, etc.), I can get it in the ballpark with the other ODs. And its advantage is that it uses a lot less CPU than the other 7 drives (firmware v13 Beta).

So, give Shimmer Drive some love when searching for your ultimate OD.

Last edited:
Have you tried the latest firmware?
Yes. 13.0 public beta. Had the III since FW 3.01 and have just never been able to gel with the drives - either the ones in the factory presets or ones I create from scratch. Everything else - amps, cabs, FX, etc. - is righteous. Didn't have this issue with the IIXL. After nearly 5 decades of playing, gigging and recording I figured there wasn't a piece of outboard gear or amp I couldn't dial in to my liking but I've apparently met my match with the drive block in the III. For the time being, my assumption is there's something I'm just not doing right.

Yes. 13.0 public beta. Had the III since FW 3.01 and have just never been able to gel with the drives - either the ones in the factory presets or ones I create from scratch. Everything else - amps, cabs, FX, etc. - is righteous. Didn't have this issue with the IIXL. After nearly 5 decades of playing, gigging and recording I figured there wasn't a piece of outboard gear or amp I couldn't dial in to my liking but I've apparently met my match with the drive block in the III. For the time being, my assumption is there's something I'm just not doing right.
You are certainly in the minority.

Maybe post a preset where you've tried to dial in something you like but can't, and describe what you don't like? If others think it sounds great, it's subjective... otherwise, maybe you'll get advice on what could be improved. Just a thought...

Another vote for King of Tone.

Spent the evening changing all my low gain presets to have two KoT drives. One low gain one high.

Now I’ve got the full pedal available!

Another vote for King of Tone.

Spent the evening changing all my low gain presets to have two KoT drives. One low gain one high.

Now I’ve got the full pedal available!
The KoT drive model turns a clean Fender like a Deluxe Reverb into something deliciously, low-gain Marshall. It's a great drive model!

Not really into drive pedals for primary dirt when I have amp gain on tap but I'm all about ODs as boosts... Seems like most amps love that mid bump/low cut coming in...

Never really understood "pedal platform" guys . Makes no sense to me; unless you are playing mostly clean, what is the point of getting some fancy, esoteric tube amp only to get all your tone from a battery powered SS box... :D

I can see the appeal. A tube amp will give you the tube amp impedance curve and natural sounding breakup (both at the input and when you push the power tubes), and every possible combo of drive pedals on your board can be like an entirely unique preamp section. Put just 2 drive pedals on your board and, including the amp’s clean channel, you’ve effectively got 4 a channel rig.

Seems kinda fun to me.

Amen. Been refusing to get rid of my OCD pedal since I got my first Axe-FX Ultra. Maybe now.

Is the Hoodoo(Voodoo) Drive a new easter egg for this update too, or has it been in there and I just didn't notice it before?
Believe it's another easter egg with the release

Back
Top Bottom