Fractal Audio powers Metallica on Howard Stern, Sirius XM

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Metallica appears today on the Howard Stern Show on Sirius XM with all guitar and bass tones produced by the Axe-Fx III.
It's a subscription network so I can't post a link, but the show was broadcast live early this AM and will be rebroadcast throughout the day before becoming available on demand.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/i...uest-on-the-howard-stern-show-this-wednesday/

I noticed that they did this show from their studio, where they have all of the legendary amps and cabs that they've used over the years, but they still preferred to use the Axe-Fx IIIs.

Last edited:
Metallica appears today on the Howard Stern Show on Sirius XM with all guitar and bass tones produced by the Axe-Fx III.
It's a subscription network so I can't post a link, but the show was broadcast live early this AM and will be rebroadcast throughout the day before becoming available on demand.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/i...uest-on-the-howard-stern-show-this-wednesday/

I noticed that they did this show from their studio in Northern CA, where they have all of the legendary amps and cabs that they've used over the years, but they still preferred to use the Axe-Fx IIIs.
I thought James Hatfield moved to Colorado along with the studio? Said California has gotten to diverse for him to stay.

Good to see Papa Het looking healthy again!

Metallica can do no wrong in my book. They've worked hard enough over the years that they can release all the LuLu's and St. Anger's they want, doesn't mean I gotta buy 'em!
I thought James Hatfield moved to Colorado along with the studio? Said California has gotten to diverse for him to stay.

Hetfield moved but I don't believe HQ did. That place is huge and they operate all of their business out of their, including merch and their record label. Moving and/or losing the amount of staff they have over there would probably be a nightmare.

Was playing Kirk somewhere else ? 🤔
You don’t really see him amongst the rest of the band....

Thanks, I know. It just seems like there’s no Video Shots where you see him near the rest of the band..🤔

Thanks, I know. It just seems like there’s no Video Shots where you see him near the rest of the band..🤔
Yeah, they're scattered around the room. He's against a different wall, at right angles to the rest of them.

Can’t say I’m much of a Metallica fan, but their tone is certainly spot on. Also feels really good to see the ol’ Peter Green LP in action 🥰

I've always been curious about Jame's TriAxis rig.

He always had 4 TriAxises... TriAxi?... in his main rack for years. Two active, two for backup, and a hidden pair of Mesa 5-band EQs in there. Also, one of his TriAxis units was modded, stickers on it say "phase reversed IIC+".

I own a TriAxis and another preamp and have played through them stereo, and I can tell you that the IIC+ channel is out of phase with the other drive channels in that preamp. This tells me that James used the two TriAxis preamps at the same time, either in stereo or blended together, and one of them must have been set to the IIC+ and the other one must have been set to another high gain mode in the preamp. There's no other reason for one of the preamp's IIC+ channels to be modded for phase reversal.

Anybody know how James ran that rig exactly? It's something I've been wondering about on and off for quite a while now.

Back
Top Bottom