FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.05

I have the impression that THE MAN HIMSELF is in charge of the afx3 sw and a team of engineers do the fm3 code.
I really hope that's not the case. I'd hate to think that Cliff is letting his customers suffer through these issues just as an experiment.

I really hope that's not the case. I'd hate to think that Cliff is letting his customers suffer through these issues just as an experiment.

it not an experiment but he did say back in November that in order for the company to grow He cannot be in charge of everything And that his teams need to function on their own and solve issues
now that said I am sure he steps in from time to time and gives assistance
but from the comments i have read
yes the FM3 has its own group of developers

A friend got a second hand from a store and is so annoyed with the bugs that he is almost considering returning and going with Helix for his live setup. He's got the FX III for home recording and big gigs. I hope they sort it out soon.

I borrowed one from a friend for a few days and I am okay with it till now to be honest except a few minor issues.

A new firmware is in beta test.

I sat down with the engineers a week or two ago and explained to them what I thought they were doing wrong wrt USB audio. I think it finally sunk in as the initial reports are that the USB audio is fixed.

There are still some bugs that need to be addressed before a public release.

Good to hear the USB recording issues/bugs are being taken care of. I've been using my Helix for the last several weeks because I can't record with the FM3 with the current firmware bugs.

A new firmware is in beta test.

I sat down with the engineers a week or two ago and explained to them what I thought they were doing wrong wrt USB audio. I think it finally sunk in as the initial reports are that the USB audio is fixed.

There are still some bugs that need to be addressed before a public release.
Thanks for the update.

Does this mean that the FM3 is not going to benefit from the little tweaks Cliff makes to things like the recent Drive Block improvements the Axe just received? I mean, if he’s no longer hands-on with this product, how can it keep up with the constant improvements made to the Axe?

My business understanding - Cliff has the flagship product to take care of and if this is managed by his other team, it should be kept that way. Cliff can probably keep getting involved every now and then, but the team needs to be trained to handle these things on their own. Obviously it will come with some teething issues - but they have the FX3 model to base the FM3 from and I am sure with time this will get streamlined.

Also, this is not as bad as my friend described it! I am using my Focusrite for the time being and just not disconnecting my FM3 from the laptop. Like most things in the world right now, with time this too will get stable.

Does this mean that the FM3 is not going to benefit from the little tweaks Cliff makes to things like the recent Drive Block improvements the Axe just received?
No, it doesn’t mean that. Just because two buses have different drivers, that doesn’t mean that they can’t both arrive at the same destination.

Last edited:
Does this mean that the FM3 is not going to benefit from the little tweaks Cliff makes to things like the recent Drive Block improvements the Axe just received? I mean, if he’s no longer hands-on with this product, how can it keep up with the constant improvements made to the Axe?

It was my understanding that something like this was happening since the AX8 came out. Although Cliff seemed to be involved into the porting of the FW from the Axe Fx II to the AX8, a good chunk of the work was done by other guy (Joe Rogers) and no one complained if the porting took a while (sometimes a week, sometimes a month or two). This time, Cliff wants to fully delegate the work on the FM3 to a very capable group of engineers and devote himself to the development of his flagship product (and more to come).

Absolutely no one has said the developments made for the III won't make their way to the FM3, actually there are official posts saying they will eventually be. The FM3 is a new product, being developed by a new group of people under Cliff's guidance. I'm pretty confident once they sort all bugs, the porting thing will be taken up to speed just like the previous generation.

For people new to Fractal, this is the development model which is very different from say Line 6 which does about one update per year across all devices simultaneously. All the development is done for the Axe 3 and that trickles down over time to the FM3.

Just cross fingers we continue to see that development. They hit a wall with the AX8 which resulted in that device being discontinued abruptly.

Will we see public betas to help along..... like AXEFX 3 ?

Lots of great people on here to help.........

There's no need to cross your fingers this early in the FM3's lifecycle. Once they get the USB issues straightened out I have no doubt we'll see the FM3 catch up to the AxeIII with regards to the various block improvements. It's just frustrating to see USB issues still prevalent after three updates said to fix those problems... We'll get there.

The FM3 can only catch up to the AF3 as much as it's processing power allows(that's the main reason why it's cheaper and smaller). There will be trade offs with what can or should be ported over.
A possible example is the new AF3 Drive Block that uses more processing power than the previous AF3 Drive Block which will be a much larger percentage on the FM3's processing power. It may be possible to 'eventually' rewrite the block program to be more efficient but that's speculation. Another possibility is that they could add more resolution downgrade choices(economy) for blocks that don't currently have them however, all of this will take time!

Just curious, does anyone know how much More CPU the new Drive Block uses on the Axe III compared with the original?

Back
Top Bottom