Re-amping without USB, just using DAW, ext. soundcard and Axe Fx 3, to keep 44,1 kHz

GuitarLife

Have some of you had some luck to re-amp without USB, but instead through ext. sound card? Just using DAW and Axe Fx 3, to send the signal in and out of DAW to Axe FX for live re-amping and back again on a new track? Of course with help from external sound card, multi In/out.
This is to avoid my DAW to change sample rates from 44.1 to fixed Axe Fx 3 48,kHz.

Or would this not be necessary if there is a more easy way..?

For me it's easier to just use 48 kHz, but yes, the method you are talking about also works. Why wouldn't it?

As with any analog reamping, you'll add noise this way. Other than that, unlike reamping with real amps, levels won't be as big of an issue, you don't need to convert signal from balanced to unbalanced (by using Axe-FX's balanced inputs).

First, are you sure you need your project to run at 44.1? It's better to use 48 if you can. If you must run at 44.1 for some reason, just connect your AxeFX via USB and record. There are no special steps required to record it into a 44.1 Logic project.

Hi thanks .. This is good to hear.. Could you explain a little more how you do this? I'm on Mac and using Logic X.. That would be great..!

Logic converts on the fly. You can record into a 44.1 project as though it was at 48k. It's not ideal but the degredation is barely audible, if at all.

First, are you sure you need your project to run at 44.1? It's better to use 48 if you can. If you must run at 44.1 for some reason, just connect your AxeFX via USB and record. There are no special steps required to record it into a 44.1 Logic project.

Ok, but I'm on it very fine to record the dry signal from USB, but how do I send dry signal back to Axe fx, to re-amp and do live re-amp?

I'm aware to use USB in -block, but how do I have Axe fx to listen to dry signal from track recorded. I have only set my DAW input to record from Axe fx.. output will still be my sound card out, as my speakers are connected to sound card.

There's no need to use the USB input block. You don't want to touch your preset just to use it for reamping. Just redirect the AxeFX as described in the reamping section of the manual. You'll need to use the AxeFX as the output device when reamping. Use an aggregate device or use the AxeFX as your output device if you'd prefer to not switch your output device when reamping.

.... Use an aggregate device or use the AxeFX as your output device if you'd prefer to not switch your output device when reamping.

But aggregate device will demand I use 48 kHZ, wouldn't it ..? Or is this acceptable ..? DAW (and sound card) 44.1 kHz and Axe Fx 48 kHz.

Back
Top Bottom