FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.05

At this rate it'll never catch up to the III, maybe it doesn't need to

Yes it does. We were sold this unit with the understanding that it would use the same modeling and blocks as the III. There were posts from FAS that the architecture of the unit was designed to easier port code from one to the other. It absolutely needs to catch up to the III, IMO.

It’s been three FW releases and four months and they still don’t have the USB recording issues resolved. Performance pages, block updates, and ultra-res IRs have evidentially been put on the back burner while these issues are being addressed. The FM3 has been snake bit from the start. Will FAS get this straightened out? I’m starting to have my doubts. One thing is for sure, this is not what we have come to expect from FAS.

Let’s hope 1.06 resolves the USB recording issues once and for all so FAS can focus on advancing the platform rather than chasing more USB bugs for yet another release.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I’ve held off from expressing these thoughts long enough. It’s time for FAS to step up and deliver stable FW for this unit and start addressing user requests like enhanced performance pages, setlists, midi and power over the unused USB port, etc...

It’s time for FAS to step up and deliver stable FW for this unit and start addressing user requests like enhanced performance pages, setlists, midi and power over the unused USB port, etc...
Stable firmware is a valid concern.

But Fractal does not owe anyone anything as far as user requests. Just because we want something doesn't mean we're going to get it. That's why they're called "wishes" ;)

Part of the attraction for me coming from an AX8 to FM3 was that the AF3 New blocks, and development would hit the FM3 same time.....that’s just not happening at the moment.

Part of the attraction for me coming from an AX8 to FM3 was that the AF3 New blocks, and development would hit the FM3 same time.....that’s just not happening at the moment.
It's very early in the product lifecycle. The Axe Fx III had limitations when it came out, there were some things that weren't working right, no global blocks, etc.

I'm sure the Axe Fx II did as well... I came to the Axe Fx II on firmware 9. Scenes had just been added, the editor was unsupported and buggy.

Have some patience... I expect the FM3 firmware will get closer to parity with the Axe Fx III soon.

Stable firmware is a valid concern.

But Fractal does not owe anyone anything as far as user requests. Just because we want something doesn't mean we're going to get it. That's why they're called "wishes" ;)

Of course. But FAS has responded to some several and acknowledged that they are hoping to get them implemented.

I've been with FAS since FW 7 or 8 on the original AxeFX and the Ultra. I was an early adopter of the AxeII, the AX8, and the AxeIII. I watched and lived through the product development of each of those products one update at a time. This is unprecedented. When has FAS ever had a lingering problem that spanned multiple FW releases? With every new unit shipped there's a potential disappointed customer who can't get the things stated on the product page to work. As a long-time FAS user I'm a bit frustrated. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I guess I'm having doubts about this unit, but I am hopeful they will get it resolved with 1.06.

Yes it does. We were sold this unit with the understanding that it would use the same modeling and blocks as the III. There were posts from FAS that the architecture of the unit was designed to easier port code from one to the other. It absolutely needs to catch up to the III, IMO.

It’s been three FW releases and four months and they still don’t have the USB recording issues resolved. Performance pages, block updates, and ultra-res IRs have evidentially been put on the back burner while these issues are being addressed. The FM3 has been snake bit from the start. Will FAS get this straightened out? I’m starting to have my doubts. One thing is for sure, this is not what we have come to expect from FAS.

Let’s hope 1.06 resolves the USB recording issues once and for all so FAS can focus on advancing the platform rather than chasing more USB bugs for yet another release.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I’ve held off from expressing these thoughts long enough. It’s time for FAS to step up and deliver stable FW for this unit and start addressing user requests like enhanced performance pages, setlists, midi and power over the unused USB port, etc...
And yes, I agree with you!

Yes it's early in the FM3's life-cycle but a lot of these things, often pertaining to basic function should've been worked out before releasing.
And then endure page upon page of additional bitching about waiting for the release? I'm sure you read those threads... ;)

I understand the frustration... But it is a balancing act, and Fractal is working to get things resolved. They have fixed a lot of bugs and improved some features already.

And then endure page upon page of additional bitching about waiting for the release? I'm sure you read those threads... ;)

I understand the frustration... But it is a balancing act, and Fractal is working to get things resolved. They have fixed a lot of bugs and improved some features already.
Oh I totally get it. Small company needs to move the product asap. They could have waited on the product announcement but who would've guessed so many road blocks along the way. Doesn't change the fact that when I purchase a product I expect it to work. And yes, they will get it all worked out eventually, that's why I don't bitch too loudly, although at times it can be frustrating. f. ex. I'm on my 3rd unit already. But they've been great with replacing them quickly.

Last edited:
I'm sure if they have the intention, they will line up the two products eventually. It's still a new product in the early stages.

I bought the FM3 to replace my AX8 , in part , for compatibility with the III as well.
I can’t expect it to be neck and neck with the III during some of the ECliffanies that occur with III updates though. The III is after all - the flagship.

I look at III updates with enthusiasm , not only because I own the III , but also because it’s a sure sign that the FM3 is going to see more improvement in the near future. The delay is likely due to them “nailing down” the changes. I feel like the III updates somehow serve as a beta for the FM3 before they trickle down.

Yes it's early in the FM3's life-cycle but a lot of these things, often pertaining to basic function should've been worked out before releasing.
The FM3 is far closer to the III than the AX8 ever was to the II. It only gets better from here.
The FM3 is far closer to the III than the AX8 ever was to the II. It only gets better from here.

This.

Also, there's a global pandemic disrupting just about every aspect of our lives right now. The fact FAS are still pumping out FW updates for the III, moving through the FM3 waitlist and working on advancing the FM3 at all right now makes me so grateful to be able to make guitar noises with the gear they make.

This.

Also, there's a global pandemic disrupting just about every aspect of our lives right now. The fact FAS are still pumping out FW updates for the III, moving through the FM3 waitlist and working on advancing the FM3 at all right now makes me so grateful to be able to make guitar noises with the gear they make.
Love your positive outlook on things. More people need to be like that!

I am in no means unhappy with the FM3, or the current FW, problem is I got a taste of putting modifiers on everything and now I can't stop reinstalling 1.05 edit and exploring the endless possibilities 😎

I do seem to recall talk of the FM3 keeping pace with the III, but I can't recall specifics. I remember asking actually if the FW would fall behind like the AX8 did to the II.

Anywho...

And while I feel bad for those with issues as well, I've not experienced any problems or issues other than 1.05 edit locking up. Everything connects on a win 10 pro pc and a win 7 home laptop. 4x4 usb no issues. Cab and preset management no issues. Fractool no issues. Fracbot no issues. My FM3 unit has been on for 8 days now, still stable, I do disconnect the USB when I'm not using it though.

I'm happy, but yea there's always more ;)

Back
Top Bottom