New Suhr has "dead" notes :(

Sorry to hear of your dead note issue, @unix-guy

It’s great that Suhr is working on this, because it’s a common problem and not easily solved. I’ve had this exact issue with several guitars, cheap and expensive. I don’t blame the maker. These kind of odd things happen when using natural materials like wood that have unexpected characteristics, and it’s not easy to predict.

I have seen this issue with numerous guitars, and it almost always seems to happen in that 9-11 fret area on the G.

I had this PRS where the F# would die out very quickly. If I bent a half-step up to the G, I could feel the guitar responding in my left hand. It was an odd sensation, but noticeable if you paid attention. And only happened bending that specific string at that fret. When the note started to rise above the F# pitch, it “solidified” in a way that I can only describe as being somewhat like what it feels like when you get that numb tingling in some part of your body (your foot “falls asleep”, for instance). As you walk around and shake it out, that numb tingle starts to fade. That’s what this was like. The F# was a bit “numb” — that’s the only word I know to describe it — and as I bent up to the G, it started to come alive. If I timed it right, that G would also bump up to a harmonic higher. That was actually kind of cool and fun, especially with volume and overdrive. I had other people play it and they experienced the same thing.

Once I had this experience with the PRS, I started noticing the issue (in varying degrees, of course) on many guitars. Not all, but enough to have convinced me that it’s common, and not relegated to a particular manufacturer.

Last edited:
Take little straight edge over 3 frets in that area, see if it rocks

A dead note (as described here) is not caused by the frets. It is caused by the guitar body absorbing the vibrational energy of the strings at a certain frequency. It has no other solution than drastically altering the mass of the body, e.g.: playing with the guitar touching a door or a table

Update today from Suhr: they are building me a new neck per John Suhr due to the serious lack of sustain on those notes.

While it sucks that you've been without it for so long, Glad to see there taking care of the problem and building a new neck. Hopefully its all good when you get it.

... pics!?
cyohfnqkxfjmz59dqddv.jpg

FWIW my new Anderson Angel doesn't exhibit this so it's not common to 24 fret designs.
I have a few other 24 fret guitars that also don't exhibit the issue.

This was my first experience with this issue. At least they are handling it.

I really like the looks of the Angels. Definitely on my list :)

Beautiful grain on that guitar.

What kind of wood is the rest of the body made from? Tom Anderson's website talks about maple tops + mahogany and maple tops + basswood both having their strengths.
Alder body. Caramel maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

For strat style guitars I prefer alder (sometimes swamp ash sounds good too). My Suhr Modern is basswood as most Moderns are. I find basswood too bright and lacking character. It's a very even tone but too bland.

Most Andersons are alder so it seems that Tom has a similar taste in body wood as I do. Alder is getting harder to source so now is the time to buy if alder is your preference.

I have three Andersons and they all play and sound like the best guitars in the world. Something about them. They just feel and sound amazing. The only other brand where I get that wow factor is Collings. My PRS's are great but I guess I'm not a PRS guy because I just never find myself reaching for them very often.

Last edited:
Alder body. Caramel maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

For strat style guitars I prefer alder (sometimes swamp ash sounds good too). My Suhr Modern is basswood as most Moderns are. I find basswood too bright and lacking character. It's a very even tone but too bland.

Most Andersons are alder so it seems that Tom has a similar taste in body wood as I do. Alder is getting harder to source so now is the time to buy if alder is your preference.

I have three Andersons and they all play and sound like the best guitars in the world. Something about them. They just feel and sound amazing. The only other brand where I get that wow factor is Collings. My PRS's are great but I guess I'm not a PRS guy because I just never find myself reaching for them very often.

Good info, thanks!

I agree with you about the the Anderson guitars as well. I've only played a handful of them but all of them were so perfect and easy to play that they almost didn't feel real, like I was in a computer playing the CAD design itself or something. They're like the platonic ideal of "the electric guitar." Not sure how else to describe it.

I also remember liking their Switcheroo pickup selector system as well. I could see it being a bit finicky for live playing but the tonal variety was great, as were all the individual tones themselves.

You commented how much you loved your Andersons in another thread. I got curious and ended up buying a Cobra S. I shouldn’t have done that because now I have a short scale Angel on order that should be ready at the end of the year. I can’t say I love my Anderson more than my PRS guitars but i do love them equally. Just fantastic instruments.
FWIW my new Anderson Angel doesn't exhibit this so it's not common to 24 fret designs.

Back
Top Bottom