Fixed Is FM3-Edit supposed to re-read my presets every time I open it?

Every time I boot up my FM3 and FM3 Edit and click on presets, Edit says "reading preset (x of 512)" before opening the list. Is this normal?

This was discussed already. I am not real good at searching for threads or I would link to it.
BUT,TBH, at first I thought it was OK. Because it went so fast. I posted that in the previous thread. But lately I have seen , depending what I did, that the re-scan is very slow. Well, perceived as very slow because I am ready to move on.

I am on a 10 year old MAC...the presets refresh pretty quickly.
Is this a Winblows thing ?
Honestly, the OS has nothing to do with it. Please refer to the original thread if you can find it. I couldn't. This is why I re examined my first impression and statement about it. I thought it was very fast also.
Until I got better at doing things myself with the FM3. Then I began to notice that, nope, FM3 edit is not ready when I am ready-it's still scanning the presets and I am ready to move on. But I must wait.
Yes, it is seconds, not minutes. But, for me, I have to judge it by the impact it has on what I am trying to accomplish. It slows me down.

Also Teddis, you always seem like a nice person., please do NOT start another BS Win vs Mac discussion. Evidenced by your "winblows" statement.

I am going to try and pinpoint "exactly" what I am doing when this happens. Because sometimes it is very fast. I have never bothered to try and pinpoint it or connect it to a specific action. I will try.

I saw in AB’s FM3 preset pack video that he is pretty unhappy with the rescan time.
Pretty sure the FAS team is aware and on it...
Are you guys on the latest version of FMedit ? 10106

I saw in AB’s FM3 preset pack video that he is pretty unhappy with the rescan time.
Pretty sure the FAS team is aware and on it...
Are you guys on the latest version of FMedit ? 10106

I am. I really don't remember it being any different right from the get go, which for me was FW 103. Now 105 and latest FM3 Edit.
I am getting use to it because I figure this is the way it will be. That's not a dig, just seems like it to me.

Can anyone with Windows 10 confirm whether they are on normal Hard Drives, or the faster SSD Solid State Drives? I am thinking if your OS is on an SSD Drive, it should read FM3 edit faster I`d think.

Can anyone with Windows 10 confirm whether they are on normal Hard Drives, or the faster SSD Solid State Drives? I am thinking if your OS is on an SSD Drive, it should read FM3 edit faster I`d think.
Why? It is reading the preset names from the FM3 into memory. I don't think the disk is relative at all.

I agree with Unixguy, but, just so you know I have a very fast Samsung Evo 870 ssd OS drive. Not the newest but super fast.
I am only assuming here, but seems like the the FM3 hardware does all the work. Your OS just lets the edit program run. I could be wrong. But seems logical.

Ok. Was just wondering. It`s the disks that do the reading/writing to and from memory I thought.
No...

The reading is FROM the FM3. Into memory. Memory is very fast.

Edit:

To be fair, I'm making assumptions based on a long career with computers. I don't know the actual details, but I'm fairly certain,

No...

The reading is FROM the FM3. Into memory. Memory is very fast.

Edit:

To be fair, I'm making assumptions based on a long career with computers. I don't know the actual details, but I'm fairly certain,
I made the same assumption for the exact same reason...........

It seems like it would be better to read the preset list on startup and/or when a preset is changed. For instance have some kind of flag that registers a change has been made, then you're only having to do a full scan when that flag shows a change... if this > do that etc

Back
Top Bottom