Axe-Fx III into IEM's

sidsin

Inspired
Had a question - so while practicing, my band plugs into a Presonus studiolive24 mixer which are connected Shure wireless in ear systems and the main speakers.
IEM is Shure PSM 200.

Should I change the settings of my AXE FX III while plugging in or should I keep it at default? The tones through the main speakers sound absolutely fine - its just the IEM's - they sound so flat and dry! The tones definitely do not sound the same when I play them at home using my audi technica headphones or FRFR.

Any tips? or this is the usual what happens when we play through the IEM's?

The studio live you should be able to add eq and stuff to your aux sends (which go to the IEMS.) If it's just dry then that is what you are feeding the mixer. IEMS will always sound different than your normal setup. Couple things. You can try eqing the aux send, or you could bring the aux with everything but your guitar back to the Axe and then mix there, or some use a small mixer.

What I do I have an out goes to FOH, then an out to my FRFR, I split off the FOH to a 4 channel mic mixer and run my Guitar Stereo hard panned and then bring a mix minus guitar from the monitor guy to the other input and then mix. Sometimes if i have time i split my vocal mic and run it into the 4th channel and then mix that in myself.

The PSM200 being mono you can still do the same thing but minus the stereo aspect.

I wouldn't change anything....Yet. It might be there is EQ already applied and you are hearing that result. My latest setup has my IEM's blended with a feed from our mixer. The IEM feed has my guitar muted. I blend my guitar on the III with the IEM feed from the board instead. This allows me a little more versatility. However, for years I played straight IEMs from the board using Allen-Heath ME-1's. Worked great!

Tip #1 for IEMs: add some Reverb on you feed. Even if you don't send it to FOH send it to your ears. Otherwise it's very direct sounding.

Also, universal fit IEMs may not give the greatest sound presentation depending on the seal with your ear canal and how much external sound (if any) bleeds through.

Tip #1 for IEMs: add some Reverb on you feed. Even if you don't send it to FOH send it to your ears. Otherwise it's very direct sounding.
Also, universal fit IEMs may not give the greatest sound presentation depending on the seal with your ear canal and how much external sound (if any) bleeds through.
This is a good tip. Understand that your IEMs aren't capturing any room reflections. Another helpful tip overall is to dedicate a microphone/channel or two for room mics, which capture some of the live feel some folks feel are missing with IEMs.
Also, you mentioned your transmitter/receiver, but didn't tell us which IEMs you are using, which surely makes a difference. Are they custom molds or universal fits?
Fractal modelers are the perfect IEM amps. So much easier and smarter than hauling cabs and amplifiers around. But that being said, IEMs don't sound exactly like the assault on your ears you are used to hearing in a live setting. Or even through headphones, which of course bleed live sound.
Take your time to get used to them, you'll eventually wonder why you spent so much time losing your hearing when you there was a more intelligent solution.

Last edited:
This is a good tip. Understand that your IEMs aren't capturing any room reflections. Another helpful tip overall is to dedicate a microphone/channel or two for room mics, which capture some of the live feel some folks feel are missing with IEMs.
Also, you mentioned your transmitter/receiver, but didn't tell us which IEMs you are using, which surely makes a difference. Are they custom molds or universal fits?
Fractal modelers are the perfect IEM amps. So much easier and smarter than hauling cabs and amplifiers around. But that being said, IEMs don't sound exactly like the assault on your ears you are used to hearing in a live setting. Or even through headphones, which of course bleed live sound.
Take your time to get used to them, you'l eventually wonder why you spent so much time losing your hearing when you there was a more intelligent solution.

thanks for the tips guys!

I use Shure SE215-CL. Not custom - universal fit.
To be honest I’ve been using them for a couple of months and I am sort of used to them. What I realized what a lot of times minor errors in a live setting are not THAT audible, but in ears - I can tell every single error 😂.

I use Eargasm high fidelity ear plugs which playing for my other band - which is louder and do not use IEMs. The ear plugs works just fine for me. I am in my mid - 30s but realized last year that my ears can not tolerate the loudness anymore. My wife thinks I am partially deaf in any case 😂.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips guys!

I use Shure SE215-CL. Not custom - universal fit.
To be honest I’ve been using them for a couple of months and I am sort of used to them. What I realized what a lot of times minor errors in a live setting are not THAT audible, but in ears - I can tell every single error 😂.

I use Eargasm high fidelity ear plugs which playing for my other band - which is louder and do not use IEMs. The ear plugs works just fine for me. I am in my mid - 30s but realized last year that my ears can not tolerate the loudness anymore. My wife thinks I am partially deaf in any case 😂.
Keep at it, you’ll find what works for you!
When you’re 65, you’ll be thankful you can hear your grandkids.

I highly suggest using separate outs for IEM and FOH. This way you can be more liberal with reverb and delay without muddying the house mix. Try using a room reverb at about 12-15% or so. Also try playing with the early and late reflections. I found some good results raising early reflections and lowering late. Another essential for me is a PEQ at the end of each chain for some final sculpting. And if that doesn’t do it play around the the dynamics tab in the amp block. Let us know how it goes!

Choose a flat response IEM. Buy the best you can. I recommend JH or Sensaphonic.
This is expensive, but you should be listening to what is going to FOH. Many pro bands will use a second set of outs to get a NOFX dry version of other players on the band. There are so many ways to achieve great ambient sounds that should be a part of your sound. If your preset sounds too direct, you should keep sculpting. Programming around IEMS that sound bad is no way to live and will completely take all the joy out of playing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom