Wireless Bidirectional MIDI

Sleestak

Power User
This looks like an interesting product
https://lite-time.com/wireless-midi

It's not cheap, but would potentially solve one my onstage nuisances: dealing with long MIDI cable runs from my AxeFX III to my MMGT control pedal. I already have a good rechargeable power solution that would allow me to get through a show without needing to plug in, and eliminating the MIDI cable would mean the only cables I have to set up are those in the backline (I use wireless guitar and IEM).
Currently I run a 7 pin MIDI cable to the front of stage to carry power and bidirectional MIDI. It's handy to have a single cable for that, but that cable is the most vulnerable link in my stage setup. I can't always run it under the stage or in a trough, which means it's sitting out there getting stepped on, and having flight cases rolled over it. Because that's a somewhat atypical cable, I carry a few spares. Setting up my rig includes finding the best run for that cable, where it's least likely to get damaged. This takes at least 15 minutes per show to figure out and tape down. Then after the show we have to remove all the tape and coil up the cable again. I'd rather just not have it at all.

Damn!!! Both of those are really nice options. Using Bluetooth kinda concerns me though especially when they state it automatically connects to devices. Hhhmmm...my wheels are turning now. ;)

I have looked at that unit as well. They indicate that they've successfully tested their bluetooth system over a range of 20 meters, which is probably sufficient. It's much less expensive, and apparently it is possible (or planned to be possible) to set the BT connection between devices once, and then disable pairing to other BT devices. The biggest thing for me will be reliability of either system. My stages aren't huge, but if I lost connectivity between the pedalboard and rack, I'm going to have a rough time getting through the show.

Great but $480, while you can do this with a raspberry pi...

Not all of us know how to write code on those things like you do. I have an Arduino board that I’ve had quite a ton of fun with but I wouldn’t even know where to begin learning to write code to make a raspberry PI connect my stage devices via Bluetooth and MIDI. Soooo...are you now gonna offer classes for us to pay for to learn how to do this? :)

Back
Top Bottom