Fixed Footswitches / scribble strips problem + annoying encoder ranges in scene controllers

Hey, so here's a bug to report from me. It takes some time to be able to replicate this one.

I have the non-HP version with FW1.04. After having the unit on for a few hours and editing a preset, testing it, re-editing, the footswitches scribble strips suddenly don't show the labels, but are blank. When trying to switch with those, they don't work. The unit itself, the editing and everything else works fine, just the switches don't respond. It does not happen always, but definitely a software issue for me. It does not happen when playing through the unit live. Just when editing is involved.

The second issue that I have is with the encoders (the main large one as well as the small ones under the screen). In some screens (like the scene controller values), it seems that the intention is to get a faster value change when the buttons are turned faster. This is perfectly fine, but it does not work here. Just when I turn the knobs slightly faster, the values jump around like crazy. Let's say I want to have Scene1 around 30%, but when I turn the knobs, it's either 0 or 50ish ... Definitely not usable. If I want to get to 30, then I need to turn the knobs slooooooowly :) In the amp parameters, this does not seem to be a problem. Just the Scene controller view.

I have the non-HP version with FW1.04. After having the unit on for a few hours and editing a preset, testing it, re-editing, the footswitches scribble strips suddenly don't show the labels, but are blank. When trying to switch with those, they don't work. The unit itself, the editing and everything else works fine, just the switches don't respond. It does not happen always, but definitely a software issue for me. It does not happen when playing through the unit live. Just when editing is involved.

I recommend contacting support for this one, as I have not seen this reported by anyone else: https://www.fractalaudio.com/getting-help/

The second issue that I have is with the encoders (the main large one as well as the small ones under the screen). In some screens (like the scene controller values), it seems that the intention is to get a faster value change when the buttons are turned faster. This is perfectly fine, but it does not work here. Just when I turn the knobs slightly faster, the values jump around like crazy. Let's say I want to have Scene1 around 30%, but when I turn the knobs, it's either 0 or 50ish ... Definitely not usable. If I want to get to 30, then I need to turn the knobs slooooooowly :) In the amp parameters, this does not seem to be a problem. Just the Scene controller view.
The knobs do accelerate the change if you keep turning them but I can't really tell if what you describe is as intended. Can you provide a video demonstrating this issue, please?

Is there a way to upload a video here? Or should I do it on YT ? I don't want to make a public video harming your product name somehow, cause I'm sure it's still an amazing piece of gear!

Is there a way to upload a video here? Or should I do it on YT ? I don't want to make a public video harming your product name somehow, cause I'm sure it's still an amazing piece of gear!
You can upload it to youtube and select the visibility as "Unlisted". That way, only the people who has the link can watch the video and no one else, so you can share the url only here, without much risk.

Here you are. The text on the scribble stripe disappearing and reappearing again and the sensitivity of the encoders for a simple reverb time edit. The sensitivity is probably nothing hard to fix, but I can't reproduce the bug with the texts every time. It's just very random, but I've observed that the more you're close to 80% CPU usage, the more often this happens.

Here you are. The text on the scribble stripe disappearing and reappearing again and the sensitivity of the encoders for a simple reverb time edit. The sensitivity is probably nothing hard to fix, but I can't reproduce the bug with the texts every time. It's just very random, but I've observed that the more you're close to 80% CPU usage, the more often this happens.
Sorry for the delay in getting to look at this one. That is definitely not normal behavior for the encoders (obviously). I haven't been able to reproduce it, however, even with a high CPU preset and FM3-Edit running.

Do you mind uploading the preset you were working with when this happened?

For the text issue, do you have FM Edit open to see what layout/view is currently active when the issue occurs? I ask because I have had something similar happen but I was using multiple layouts and then switching to different views in each layout. Some of the views didn’t have all of the buttons programmed so it would look like all of a sudden text was missing. May not be it but might be worth checking.

For the text issue, do you have FM Edit open to see what layout/view is currently active when the issue occurs? I ask because I have had something similar happen but I was using multiple layouts and then switching to different views in each layout. Some of the views didn’t have all of the buttons programmed so it would look like all of a sudden text was missing. May not be it but might be worth checking.
Hey, I've been using the presets view for the controllers. Haven't used any other. I'll try to post all my changes settings that I know of. I know, that I've customized the presets view. That maybe has something to do with it. I'll also upload a preset that I created and have had issues with.

I'll try to post all my changes settings that I know of
If you post your system configuration from FractalBot, that would be even more helpful.

Open FractalBot, select the FM3, go to the receive tab, click Deslect All, select System + Global Blocks + FC, click Okay, then click Begin.

Thanks!

So today I could finally simulate the footswitches problem. I just changed the scenes a few times and had the USB connected to my Windows machine. I din't have FM3 edit or any DAW open. You can clearly see, that the switches would not change scenes and the texts disappeared.

Well, just to help with this. The issue is only when USB is connected to a Windows machine, running the latest Win10 2004 update, build no. 19041.329. Does not happen when connected over USB with a MacPro 16" with latest Catalina update 10.15.5. This may help a bit I guess...

So here's a short update. The switches have frozen 4 times yesterday, so I got pissed off and reset the whole FM3 to factory defaults, updated my settings, recovered my preset from the backup and voila, it did not happen since then. I'll let you know if it happens again..

So today I could finally simulate the footswitches problem. I just changed the scenes a few times and had the USB connected to my Windows machine. I din't have FM3 edit or any DAW open. You can clearly see, that the switches would not change scenes and the texts disappeared.

I'm adding a +1 to this problem, I've had the exact same thing happen a few times now, with and without the USB/FM3 Edit connected. The footswitches freeze and no longer work, sometimes the LCD text disappears and other times it doesn't. Seems to happen at random. The audio and front panel still works so I can do stuff manually like change presets or scenes, and the LCDs and LED rings reflect the changes but the footswitches are non-functional. My stand-in switch continues to work as well.

It's happened after being on for a couple hours and doing lots of preset editing, and it's happened after only being on a few minutes - that time there was no USB connected to the back at all, and the lights all went completely off on two of the views. When I changed views they came back on.

Running FW 1.05, FM3 Edit 1.01.09 on Windows 10.

It's the weekend so I will wait til Monday on contacting support but wanted to ask @milan.pohancenik have you had this happen again since you reset yours?

I'm adding a +1 to this problem, I've had the exact same thing happen a few times now, with and without the USB/FM3 Edit connected. The footswitches freeze and no longer work, sometimes the LCD text disappears and other times it doesn't. Seems to happen at random. The audio and front panel still works so I can do stuff manually like change presets or scenes, and the LCDs and LED rings reflect the changes but the footswitches are non-functional. My stand-in switch continues to work as well.

It's happened after being on for a couple hours and doing lots of preset editing, and it's happened after only being on a few minutes - that time there was no USB connected to the back at all, and the lights all went completely off on two of the views. When I changed views they came back on.

It's the weekend so I will wait til Monday on contacting support but wanted to ask @milan.pohancenik have you had this happen again since you reset yours?

I have the same bug. I could track it to be related to reaper. I can reproduce it every time I open reaper (even when the freeze is random and the footswitches mal function is also not consistent).

the encode ranges issue as well.

Windows 10 and 1.05

Hi, since I reset the unit I did not encounter the problem with the footswitches. Since then I was doing very long edits and changes, the FM3 running for hours without the problem to occur. However, I'm still facing the problem with the encoders sometimes. They're jumping around crazily and the precision is quite bad - especially when I want to do a very fine adjustment.

Hi, since I reset the unit I did not encounter the problem with the footswitches. Since then I was doing very long edits and changes, the FM3 running for hours without the problem to occur. However, I'm still facing the problem with the encoders sometimes. They're jumping around crazily and the precision is quite bad - especially when I want to do a very fine adjustment.
Glad the reset fixed the footswitch issue. I still recommend contacting support about the encoders as I haven't seen any others have this issue.

Glad the reset fixed the footswitch issue. I still recommend contacting support about the encoders as I haven't seen any others have this issue.

I have the same problem. I even posted a video on some of the threads. Here is the link

here is another one showing a delay that is not responsive Below 12% but if Iturn the knob slower then it behaves as expected

I have the same problem. I even posted a video on some of the threads. Here is the link

here is another one showing a delay that is not responsive Below 12% but if Iturn the knob slower then it behaves as expected

Right on and thanks! I missed your other post somehow. We'll take another look when we have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom