Switching from the II to the III - Motivations/Satisfaction

As a user since 2013 of the Axe-Fx II I'm feeling like I need to reduce my bank account and switch to the III (Because what else would I do with my money right?)

If you've switched to the III did you feel like your creative palette broadened and justified your change/purchase?

Is there anything on the III you wish was there but isn't or are you happy with what you have?

If you're not happy, are you waiting/hoping for those changes in version IV ?

I'm 87.49% (Approximately depending on the time of the day) convinced I'll switch to the III but I'm wavering on sticking with the II and ignoring YouTube video's that show how cool the III is.

Cheers.

For me, I think the III sounds better, but I understand that it can be some confirmation bias going on there. I had an Axe Fx II and loved the sound of it. For me the biggest difference is the things that I can do with just one preset. Having 4 channels for every block really is a game changer. The whole XY thing on the Axe II was awesome, but on the III I now have 4 different options. I find that I need less presets and can just dial everything in with one preset.

It's the flagship with (weekly-ish) continuous improvement and innovation. If you can order the III and A/B with the II you might settle the answer clearly for yourself.

Besides the sound improvements, the III's control capabilities and USB functionality are vastly superior to that of the II. 4x2 USB I/O on the II vs 8x8 USB I/O on the III. Support for multiple foot controllers, fully customizable switch functions and layouts on the FS units vs fixed layouts on the MFC-101. Much better two way communication in Axe Edit supporting real time in app meters, etc. The ability to mix 4 separate IR's per cab block, plus WAY more factory cabs on the III. The list goes on and on.

I loved my II, but I'd never want to go back to the II after using the III...... not just the tones, but the interface/screen, how well the FC's work with it etc. Just a better unit in every possible way, save for price (but you can/could get a new III for less than a new II used to sell for as crazy as that sounds. I've seen the III for $1999 on sale, and my original II was $2199 if I recall correctly)

I've had the III for about 18 months. For me for a long time it didn't sound that much better/different than the II to me and the improvements were mainly in terms of the user experience, which is greatly improved over the II, and the power available.

But while I've had it the compressors have had a massive overhaul and sound much better, the pitch block has had a massive overhaul and is really great now, the chorus and flangers have been improved, and the last few updates to the amp modelling has genuinely pushed them far beyond the amps of the II. There have also been some upgrades to the user experience/interface as well.

The II still sounds great and many of the changes will only be obvious in direct comparison, but in short the III sounds much better from the get go so there is less tweaking needed, but when you do want to tweak things the experience is that much better.

Back in 2014 when I jumped on the Fractal train, a II XL and a MFC-101 were about $3300 US total. A new III and FC-12 is about $2700 US right now.

I’ve had the III since the first day, I am now just finishing up programming it. It sounds more organic, but it takes a different mindset to fine tune that I avoided for a year and half.

Can you elaborate on that because I didn't find that to be the case for me at all.

I find it much easier now.

Agreed.

I used to tweak the II a ton, but with the III lately, pretty much every stock amp sounds good and other than basic stuff don’t need to touch any advanced stuff to make it sound “realer”

I find it much easier now.

This!

Dialing in the II was relatively easy but still sometimes required some work. Meaning tweaks and auditioning lots of IRs.

Not so with the III. Getting great tones is effortless. In fact, I can't make anything sound bad (except my playing! Lol!)

All joking aside, there's NOTHING not to like about the III!

The only wish for me would be a USB slot for backup/restore. But that's no deal breaker at all - I can count on the fingers of my third hand the number if times I've needed that!

Just buy it. The core amp tones are measurably better and I have the best tone I've heard in my life without even trying. Not to mention the pitch shifter sounds a lot better for down-tuning and the user interface is way easier to use without Axe-Edit.

Wait for the IV in 2 or 3 years.

(Since this seems like what you are really asking.)

Okay. Now seriously. It sounds better, the interface is easier, there are more options. That's it. Buy and try!

And 12.xx is the best firmware ever! (Note: there will never not be a subsequent best FW ever.)

Back
Top Bottom