Using EV-2 for wah

I used a Morley in my old rock days. It has a sweep more like the Fractal so it was not a big adjustment. So much so when I pulled out a Crybaby I had it felt weird and imprecise. If you give it more time you will get used to it. Start by standing more on top of it rather than a laid back angle.

I have an issue with calibrating the pedal as i limit the range at the heel. Now it has a shorter travel and i went to recalibrate it. I enter the calibration, move the pedal back and forth a couple times, see the dot move and press enter to save. After this procedure i still see the pedal does not reach the zero ( i limited the heel side) When assigning the modifier.

There might be a limit to how narrow the calibration value range can be. You can work around this by increasing modifier scale and adjusting offset so the dot still covers the entire Y axis.

I used a Morley in my old rock days. It has a sweep more like the Fractal so it was not a big adjustment. So much so when I pulled out a Crybaby I had it felt weird and imprecise. If you give it more time you will get used to it. Start by standing more on top of it rather than a laid back angle.
Thats where angled Pedaltrain board gets in the way, i would prefer standing on top, but its harder with angled board.

Reactions: mwd
Part of the difference besides the pedal sweep range is the location of the pedal's pivot axle. Crybaby style pedals have the pivot closer to the heel of the pedal more under your ankle when your foot is centered on the pedal. Long throw pedals like the EV's and the Ernie Ball pedals have the pivot point closer to the center of the pedal, so your foot moves on it a bit differently. When using my VPJr pedals for wah, I slide my foot a bit further forward on the pedal so the pivot is more under my ankle. Makes it feel more familiar for wah type sweeps.

Part of the difference besides the pedal sweep range is the location of the pedal's pivot axle. Crybaby style pedals have the pivot closer to the heel of the pedal more under your ankle when your foot is centered on the pedal. Long throw pedals like the EV's and the Ernie Ball pedals have the pivot point closer to the center of the pedal, so your foot moves on it a bit differently. When using my VPJr pedals for wah, I slide my foot a bit further forward on the pedal so the pivot is more under my ankle. Makes it feel more familiar for wah type sweeps.

Good point!

Another trick is to block part of the pedal's travel using some rubber bumpers under the heel or toe end of the pedal. You can then recalibrate the pedal to it's new shorter travel.

Last edited:
I don't know...I got really used to my EV-2's when I first got them a couple of years back. No issues. It is a really nicely designed pedal and I find it very comfortable and predictable when playing live.

I scammed a trick from Fremen....I believe he sets his midpoint around 75% creating a different sweep that keeps most of the action at the top.

I scammed a trick from Fremen....I believe he sets his midpoint around 75% creating a different sweep that keeps most of the action at the top.
I just use a dedicated wah controller - the awesome Mission one built in the Dunlop Crybaby housing. Totally nails the wah pedal sweep, dude. All my other controllers are the most excellent Fractal EV-2.

I love being able to use the AFX3 settings to fiddle with range/action/center of each mode/modifier — allows me to get exactly the feel I seek in all modes (plus I’m super-lazy and don’t want to look for the sticky pads in my shop).

Amazing how personal the feel of a pedal is — but then, it IS another instrument that we play.

Back
Top Bottom