Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

I'm on 12.09 and I was just auditioning cabs with Axe Edit in the cab block, clicking on picker then trying out different cabs when I got a really really loud blasting high pitch squeal that scared the hell out of the cat (and me). The meters on the Axe FXIII locked up at full tilt. Hope I didn't fry my studio monitors.

It happened with an OH 4x12 EV-S user 1 cab #373 that used to work fine. I turned the Axe FXIII off and back on and tried it again and it did the same thing when I got to that cabinet.

Last edited:
The download-links on your website (regarding the firmware-file and the factory-presets file) are the same. In other words when someone wants to download the official firmware on your website; it will download the updated factory presets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
The download-links on your website (regarding the firmware-file and the factory-presets file) are the same. In other words when someone wants to download the official firmware on your website; it will download the updated factory presets.
Good catch. Reported.

I'm on 12.09 and I was just auditioning cabs with Axe Edit in the cab block, clicking on picker then trying out different cabs when I got a really really loud blasting high pitch squeal that scared the hell out of the cat (and me). The meters on the Axe FXIII locked up at full tilt. Hope I didn't fry my studio monitors.

It happened with an OH 4x12 EV-S user 1 cab #373 that used to work fine. I turned the Axe FXIII off and back on and tried it again and it did the same thing when I got to that cabinet.

If it's reproducible with the cab, please start a separate thread, and use "BUG" in the thread title.

If it's reproducible with the cab, please start a separate thread, and use "BUG" in the thread title.
Or (perhaps even better?).........create a separate section for AXE FX III bugs, just like the FM3 Bugs section and put all the bugs related items in this section. It is unclear to me why the FM3 has a bug-section and the AXE FX III does not.

Last edited:
Or (perhaps even better?).........create a separate section for AXE FX III bugs, just like the FM3 Bugs section and put all the bugs related items in this section. It is unclear to me why the FM3 has a bug-section and the AXE FX III does not.
Because 99% of reported bugs are user error or bad cables or other nonsense. If a user cab is locking up the user's unit then there is a problem with that particular IR. It is likely corrupted. It's not a bug. The user should reinstall the IR.

Because 99% of reported bugs are user error or bad cables or other nonsense. If a user cab is locking up the user's unit then there is a problem with that particular IR. It is likely corrupted. It's not a bug. The user should reinstall the IR.
My response has/had nothing to do with the specific bug related to this forum-user. I assume that developers want to see the bugs in an organized form (e.g. e section for bugs). And perhaps it's handy for the forum-users too.

Purely looking at your answer; the FM3 has bugs which have nothing to do with "bad cables or other nonsense"?

You don't understand.
A bugs subforum is not needed, because there are no bugs in the Axe-Fx III
And if you stumple across something, it's just a bad cable! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :p

My take on this FW is that it should've had its own number, maybe its own zip code. The bounce in the firmware and as indicated, the beauty of the gradation between clean and driven is stunning. I got someone who owns a II to get on the waitlist for FMIII by taking it into his music store yesterday and letting him play a few presets. Hearing him go from beautiful string ringing cleanish to totally rocking within the course of a single run, just with dynamics was gorgeous to hear. He's a great player and is prone to use higher gain amps than me, like Mark IIC+, Orange 30 etc. They sounded so good run into return of Bogner amp and 4-12 with cabs bypassed.

Even into headphones, this FW oozes goodness. I can't get off one amp to try another because everything I try sounds so damn good. Thanks for evolving the sound this far. I'm going to go play some more.

Hi Guys, a few of you have reported some presets in the 12.07 firmware version of the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack may be causing clicks or pops in the latest firmware 12.09 (like the Orange Dual Rectifier).

Rather than you making posts about Naked Amps TonePack issues here under the new 12.09 firmware on this thread -- please don't, this thread is more for 12.09 firmware feedback for Cliff and Company, not a third-party vendor product -- I'd ask that you go to this existing Naked Amps thread and let me know there what amp preset/scenes are causing you issues please.

By doing so, that helps me compile a list of known TonePack preset issues, if you will. Then, I'll check them out soon and post there in that thread on potential solutions.

The link is also here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ble-now-for-firmware-12-x.140757/post-1948050

Appreciate it!

Last edited:
When I see snarky posts complaining about stuff I think to my self, "Self, why do people make these kinds of comments? It seems to me that, bottom line, a man who starts a company gets to run it the way he wants. And when people show up in his house and start complaining about minutia, then maybe they ought to step back and take a moment to consider the situation. They are telling an innovator, who built a business out of his garage, who after roughly 15 years, has developed the best guitar modeling product on the planet, while offering some of the best customer service in the music industry, with an amazing roster of guitar gods using his product that would make any manufacturer jump for joy. And then someone posts a snarky comment about how he should handle bug reporting in his business. Self, I say, I don't get it."

I don't agree with every decision that Fractal makes or every comment that Cliff makes. But I don't have to. It isn't my company. So when I don't agree I often don't say anything, because it's his company, not mine. If I do say something, then I express my thoughts respectfully. It helps me to remember that here I sit in my mundane day job, dreaming of opportunities gone by, while I have a stable of amazing amps that sound incredible, with free upgrades for the life of the product, all while Cliff gets to hang with The Edge, or Steve Vai, or Metallica, or Keith Urban or . . . And I'll bet he drives a nicer car than my 2008 Prius.

In my 46 years of guitar playing I've owned many great amps, and some pretty crappy ones. Now I have all that I could ever want. It seems to me that there is a lot to be thankful for.

Studies show that thankfulness is good for our physical health. It is calming and has a positive influence on others. Humility is good for the soul. I'm just sayin' . . .

When I see snarky posts complaining about stuff I think to my self, "Self, why do people make these kinds of comments? It seems to me that, bottom line, a man who starts a company gets to run it the way he wants. And when people show up in his house and start complaining about minutia, then maybe they ought to step back and take a moment to consider the situation. They are telling an innovator, who built a business out of his garage, who after roughly 15 years, has developed the best guitar modeling product on the planet, while offering some of the best customer service in the music industry, with an amazing roster of guitar gods using his product that would make any manufacturer jump for joy. And then someone posts a snarky comment about how he should handle bug reporting in his business. Self, I say, I don't get it."

I don't agree with every decision that Fractal makes or every comment that Cliff makes. But I don't have to. It isn't my company. So when I don't agree I often don't say anything, because it's his company, not mine. If I do say something, then I express my thoughts respectfully. It helps me to remember that here I sit in my mundane day job, dreaming of opportunities gone by, while I have a stable of amazing amps that sound incredible, with free upgrades for the life of the product, all while Cliff gets to hang with The Edge, or Steve Vai, or Metallica, or Keith Urban or . . . And I'll bet he drives a nicer car than my 2008 Prius.

In my 46 years of guitar playing I've owned many great amps, and some pretty crappy ones. Now I have all that I could ever want. It seems to me that there is a lot to be thankful for.

Studies show that thankfulness is good for our physical health. It is calming and has a positive influence on others. Humility is good for the soul. I'm just sayin' . . .

I imagine this forum is a blessing and a curse for Cliff and Co. Would the unit be where it's at today without input from users through the years?Probably not. Would Cliff's stress wrinkles be less prominent without it? Probably so.

He's done a pretty jam-up of weighing input from his user base and developing accordingly.

As the old saying goes:

If there were no beginnings and if there were no endings, we would have the absence of inertia and the presence of stagnation.

Back
Top Bottom