Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

There are two popular methods for reducing "secondary emission", which is electrons bouncing off the plate and floating back into the gap between cathode and plate, where they then can get caught on the screen grid and cause distortion and excessive grid current that can chew the grids up.

The EL34 is a "true pentode" ("pent-" meaning 5, "-ode" abbreviating "electrode") and has a cathode, three grids, and an anode (aka "plate"). It has a suppressor grid between screen grid and plate, which is tied to ground potential (usually the cathode itself) to repel the electrons that would otherwise float back into the gap. Pentodes usually have a bit more grid current on the screen grids due to poor alignment of the control grid, screen grid, and suppressor grid wires.
pentode-insides.jpg

The 6CA7 is a "beam tetrode" ("tetr-" meaning 4, and again, "-ode" abbreviating "electrode"), and has a cathode, two grids, beam-forming plates, and an anode (aka "plate"). This construction is shared by the 6V6, 6L6, and the various KT66, KT77, KT88, etc. tubes. It uses the careful alignment of control and screen grids to shoot the electrons in "beams", and add beam-forming plates between screen grid and plate, which are usually internally tied to the cathode, to help keep the beams aimed. Beam Tetrodes have generally lower screen grid current due to the careful alignment of the control grid and screen grid so that the electrons flow in "beams" and the screen grid wires are between the streams of electrons coming from the cathode through the control grid, so they are impacted by far fewer electrons and therefore heat up less and draw less current from the power supply.
Beam_Power_Tube_Crossection_Term47.png

Clear as mud? :)

Ahhh...thanks a lot. That makes sense...or something :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
I call this: the "Silk Tone" update.
Excellent definition.
I just went thru my main presets and everything sounds silkier, I'm now able to crank the treble and ditch the high-cut in the cab block without introducing annoying frequencies.
This is especially evident with a strat thru the AC30 TB, previously I was unable to turn the amp high-cut below 7, now i can turn it all the way down and still sounds good, unbelievable.
I think that guy who was having issues with his new strat a few days ago (don't remember who he was) will like this update a lot.

PS: I also think I'm hearing a bit more 3Dness in the sound, but maybe that's just placebo

This FW sounds and feels just great! I love it!

And the new presets are also sounding great too! Thanks all who are involved in that!!

Thanks. Are the V12.09 presets, simply updates to the previous presets to use latest capability, or do they contain brand new ones?

Possible bug. Using the SLO Lead model and the gain enhancer introduces odd pops set at around 0.8. In other news, I’m hanging with my friend with a real SLO 100 sitting next to me and the Axe is DEAD ON accurate! Thanks Cliff for saving me four grand. :)
Not getting that here. Can you post the preset?

I've seen a number of references to new factory presets but I don't see any announcements.

What am I missing?

It's this dedication to continued support of the product that's given me the confidence to go on the waiting list for a second AxeFXIII for gigging.....oh and the fact that this piece of kit is killer!

Thanks Cliff and team.

Back
Top Bottom