Wish Add LFO type to Pitch or create a dedicated ADT a la Waves Reel ADT

Larry Kehl

Inspired
1) Subject pretty much says it all in terms of "desirement." If I an LFO type, which included a RANDOM type in the pitch block, it would be easy to almost (re)create an ADT (very similar to Wave's Reel ADT - which is very good) using a dual delay or two monos (those blocks have a RANDO LFO type which be set to simulate "drifting" the delay of one side slightly. However, the missing ingredient, to make it sound more analog, more like Abbey Road studio's ADT or Waves Reel ADT, is the need (ability) to feed those delays into a pitch block where one side has a small, but random, pitch drift/ warble (i.e., small random frequency movements)

Again a wish that's why its here, OR

2) Just add an analog ADT FX block

Waves has struggled to argue that their ADT is not simply a chorus effect. But, it's just a chorus :).

I threw together a preset to do ADT a while back. The key to it was that it wasn't a regular LFO wobbling the tape speed on the one deck, but a person wobbling the tape speed knob, so there was a bit of randomness introduced depending on how regularly the person twiddled the knob.

I used the sequencer and LFOs together to tweak each other, and ultimately the manual knob on a manual through-zero flanger. When you look at the LFO monitor on the Axe-FX3 screen, you can see that there's a fair amount of "lumpiness" and irregularity to the LFO wave. It deffo wasn't Ringo wobbling the knob.... :D

Here's the preset, which you might find a decent starting point to get yer ADT on. I was just playing a loop through it and tweaking a few of the modifier parameters, and liking some of the changes, like increasing the "slope" on the Manual knob modifier and dropping the attack and release times a little to let it wobble a bit more jerkily....

Here's tonight's tweaks:
https://v-z-a.com/sites/v-z-a.com/files/20200605-Vox-Drv-Flg-Dly.syx

https://v-z-a.com/sites/v-z-a.com/files/20200605-Vox-Drv-Flg-Dly-OOP.syx

The wobble is a bit wobblier, like whoever is twiddling the knob is a bit stoned. The OOP one adds the phase reverse on one side, so it sounds a bit more Beatle-y. In the post-Help albums, they started doing some studio trickery with phase and such (and ADT). I distinctly remember hearing a tambourine shaking behind me the first time I heard (IIRC) Nowhere Man on good speakers (a friend's Polk Audio system). The OOP helps get a bit of that and pull some of the flangey swish out so that it sounds a bit more ADT-ish and less flangey.

There is a TON of variation available in the randomness simply by switching the modifier source on LFO1's Rate amongst the four LFO possibilities, LFO 1A, LFO 1B, LFO 2A, and LFO 2B, and you can get a deeper wobble by jacking up the slope even more on the Manual knob's modifier. To me, LFO 2A is closest to my memory of the ADT applied to Clapton's leads on WMGGW....

Last edited:
Ian, thanks I somehow COMPLETELY missed checking the tape delay(s), of all things for a random LFO type - duh! OK, just mark me as one scotch too many and those grey cells have been wiped out.

Joe Thanks for presets, when I get home tomorrow I'll give them a whirl (was that a pun?)

Great community

Ian, thanks I somehow COMPLETELY missed checking the tape delay(s), of all things for a random LFO type - duh! OK, just mark me as one scotch too many and those grey cells have been wiped out.

Joe Thanks for presets, when I get home tomorrow I'll give them a whirl (was that a pun?)

Great community
There should be a link on the SoundCloud clip to my preset and maybe even the forum post that originated it.

Well, inspired by the original ask, I poked together a video early this afternoon that sounded like electric refried ass for a number of reasons including phone camera mic sounding compressed and muffled while sitting on the amp the sound was coming out of.

Re-did the track in Logic after dinner, with a couple passes of rhythm guitar, bass, Kyle on drums, and played over that. Much cleaner sound. :)

Ian - Got it thanks again.

Joe - great video I like the sound
Tanks! The first video sounded pretty bad, due to using phone mic audio, so I re-did it using Logic. Much better with clear audio and added drums and bass, IMHO. I won't be posting the other vid.... :D

Back
Top Bottom