Hi all,

I've been a long time user of the Seymour Duncan Powestage 170 amp but have never
quite been satisfied with the way it sounded when compared with my JVM head.
I recently purchased an Orange Pedal Baby 100 to try it out and so far, most
of the tone characteristics ground that I've been missing with the Powerstage seem to
be covered by the Pedal Baby. The note response seems to be reflect much more
the "woody" character of the guitar/cab similar to my JVM head.
One exception is it doesn't seem to produce quite as deep of a bass response as the
JVM or the Powerstage, which might be due
to lack of headroom from the PB amp. Hence the question:
I'm ascribing most of the tonal discrepancy to the Class AB vs Class D difference -
can anyone provide any insight as to why that might be the case? Why should it matter
so much if the Axe is "responsible" for shaping the tone/response and all I would
need would be a "loudermaker" amp? The second question is about the matrix gt1000fx:
since it is also Class AB, could one hope for a better bass response (1000W headroom)
while preserving the pleasant mid/high end qualities of the Pedal Baby?

Cheerio

Don’t know about the PedalBaby, but I’ve a Matrix gt1600fx and it’s the best of the bunch in the non tube power amps I’ve tried.

It’s got the oooomph, but not as much as ya JVM will ( I also have a JVM) but it’s much closer than the rest.

Don’t know about the PedalBaby, but I’ve a Matrix gt1600fx and it’s the best of the bunch in the non tube power amps I’ve tried.

It’s got the oooomph, but not as much as ya JVM will ( I also have a JVM) but it’s much closer than the rest.

I used a GT1000FX some years ago, and oomph was exactly what I was missing. The Pedalbaby has that, you can even dial more in.

Tried a lot of solid state power amps and the best sounding one for me was the GT1000FX but it is still not as good as my old VHT2/50/2.
That I still have as a comparison . I also tried it in the power stage of my Diezel VH4 and that was also sounded better ( to me ) than the matrix although neither is flat. The good thing about the solid state power is you can get a better representation of the wide variety of power stages in the models that the tube power doesn't do it just adds it's own character.

I used a GT1000FX some years ago, and oomph was exactly what I was missing. The Pedalbaby has that, you can even dial more in.
I’ve been curious about the PedalBaby, but the 70/100 watts always worried me, I need serious volume.

Back
Top Bottom