SRV Inspired Preset

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
srv.jpg

I was watching an older tutorial by Tyler Grund where he broke down his Stevie Ray Vaughan preset for the Axe-FX II and thought I'd take a stab at recreating it for the FM3. Although the FM3 does not support dual amp blocks, I feel I was able to get very close, producing some very usable tones. Preset was dialed in at gig-volume using my Fender American Professional Strat with V-Mod pickups. Your results will vary.

Scenes are as follows:

Scene 1 (Lenny): Compressor -> Wah (Auto-Engage) -> Super Verb Vibrato -> Cab* -> Reverb
Scene 2 (Cold Shot): Wah (Auto-Engage) -> Vibrato Verb AB -> Cab** -> Rotary -> Reverb
Scene 3 (Pride and Joy): Wah (Auto-Engage) -> Drive 1 -> Vibrato Verb AB -> Cab** -> Reverb
Scene 4 (Dirtier): Wah (Auto-Engage) -> Drive 1 -> Drive 2 -> Vibrato Verb AB -> Cab** -> Reverb

* Cab 1: Factory 2: #226 - 4x10 Super Verb 57G, Cab 2: Factory 2: #240 - 4x10 Super Verb 160B
** Cab 1: JBL E130 SM57 C, Cab 2: Factory 1: #637 - 1x15 Vibrato Verb 421 A

Download via Axe-Change here:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9041

Note: The previous version of this preset used Tyler Grund's JBL E130 impulse response exclusively. In my opinion, Tylers's impulse response captures the essence of SRV's tone, but as you all know, his tone varied between performances, albums, and even songs. While recreating this preset for Firmware 4.0, I decided to spend a little time with the factory cabs and found that quite a few of the factory "1x15 Vibrato Verb" impulse responses work really well. I finally decided on a combination of Tyler's IR and a factory "1x15 Vibrato Verb 421" IR. I recommend auditioning all of the factory 1x15 IR's as the 1x15 is a key component to SRV's tone. Use your ears!

Download Tyler Grund's JBL E130 impulse response here:

http://tylergrund.com/axefx2/

As always, all comments and critiques are welcome. If you enjoy this preset, please consider a donation to Tyler Grund for use of his excellent impulse response. Donations can be made via his website here: http://tylergrund.com/axefx2/ Thanks to Tyler Grund for his original SRV preset for the Axe-FX II and for his blessing to use his impulse response!

Last edited:
Sweet! Just bought a Strat 2 days ago. Have a Duncan little 59 coming for the bridge but the other 2 will remain singles. As mentioned, the preset link doesn't work.

dead link
Sweet! Just bought a Strat 2 days ago. Have a Duncan little 59 coming for the bridge but the other 2 will remain singles. As mentioned, the preset link doesn't work.
Too bad. would have liked to try it..............Maybe it will come back!
Hey guys, I apologize, but I recently cleared out a few presets and it looks like I accidentally deleted this one. I’m pretty sure I have it backed up. I’ll re-upload it as soon as I can.

Hey guys, I apologize, but I recently cleared out a few presets and it looks like I accidentally deleted this one. I’m pretty sure I have it backed up. I’ll re-upload it as soon as I can.
Hi Ruso, any news for the preset ? thanks a lot

Tyler’s videos were great. I used to watch them just to dig the playing! Very solid place to start. He’s still on the forum here. Perhaps he’ll drop in on this thread.

Hey folks! I had some free time this weekend and finally got around to updating this preset. Please read my original post for a few things have changed. Thanks!
Your preset sounds great! I love that Tyler Grund IR so much. It's been in the venerable #2 user slot in all my Fractal gear for many years now.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 9.53.40 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom