Ok I screwed up and I don't think I can fix it

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
I uploaded all the Pete Thorn presets to check them out today. Unfortunately I wrote over a preset that took me hours to match with an actual JP2C. I dont think there’s a way to get that back, but if there is please tell me. If not, so I know going forward, is there any way to protect a preset from overwrite? If not, there sure ought to be, Thanks!

Did you make a backup at any point?

how did you load the presets into the axe? Using Manage presets in Axe-Edit has you choose where to put them so you would just not place them on a currently used preset slot. It also asks if you’re sure you want to make the changes.

did you use fractal bot or drag and drop?

Last edited:
Always find an empty slot before auditioning something. A painful lesson that I have also learned the hard way.

Make frequent backups!!! Even just of a single preset after spending a bunch of time on it. Snapshots are helpful too.

Did you make a backup at any point?

how did you load the presets into the axe? Using Manage presets in Axe-Edit has you choose where to put them so you would just not place them on a currently used preset slot. It also asks if you’re sure you want to make the changes.

did you use fractal bot or drag and drop?
Never made any backups, stupidly. When I power up, it typically loads on my favorite preset, so when I went to the add preset drop down, it must have over wrote my favorite preset. Kept adding all of Petes stuff and +ing up one to go to an empty preset after that. I think I’m beat on this one.

Never made any backups, stupidly. When I power up, it typically loads on my favorite preset, so when I went to the add preset drop down, it must have over wrote my favorite preset. Kept adding all of Petes stuff and +ing up one to go to an empty preset after that. I think I’m beat on this one.
I’d suggest Manage Presets next time in Tools in Axe-Edit. It prevents you from overwriting things.

this video is for the Axe2 generation but the idea is basically the same:

Never? Even before updating firmware?

If it were only settings and not a tone match.... you will probably remember what you did if you start to rebuild the preset from memory and maybe end up with something even better.

If it were only settings and not a tone match.... you will probably remember what you did if you start to rebuild the preset from memory and maybe end up with something even better.
It wasn’t just the match, either. I had some routing going on, a few effects I spent time dialing in. I can and will re create it, but it sucks I did this to myself.

I remember the hardest lesson I had about saving your work....

Bout 20 years or so ago...computer exam, blazing through it all, finished with time to spare, so I decided to rock back and be all chill while checking over my work.....

Kicked the UPS button at the bottom of the desk.....whole row including mine went totally blank

Fortunately everyone else saved their work frequently on flash drives so the flak i got from them was minimal....

Me, I never re-wrote/typed anything so fast in my LIFE!!! Thank goodness I had time to spare!

Lesson learned, SAVE/BACKUP YOUR WORK!!!

Sadly not. Just not something I was in the habit of doing
Like Chris suggests, I always use Manage Presets to load individual presets. And I've made it a firm policy to ALWAYS backup immediately before loading new firmware, immediately after loading new firmware, and any time I make changes to existing presets. I typically use the first preset bank (001 through 128) for all of my personal presets, so I usually just need to back up that bank, plus the system files. It only takes a few minutes with Fractal-Bot. It's a good habit to get into, and it's saved my butt more than once.

Back
Top Bottom