Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I have a question about leveling. When I audition the AustinBuddy presets they sound bland and uninspiring. They do sound a lot better though when I turn the db levels of the amps up considerably (+6db or more). I have the opposite problem with presets from Burgs. When I load those my speakers (or headphones) almost blow up. I assume most of you use Studio monitors / headphones or FRFR-speakers.

So where do these differences come from? Everybody is so enthusiastic about the Austinbuddy presets, I ended up buying them. But was very underwhelmed until I yanked the db levels up considerably... Even the single coil boost solution in the AB presets does little.

FYI: i usually use (very good) studio headphones when I play. My studio speakers are Mackies. Input level is around noon, output level around one o'clock. The global output level is at +4db.

I have a question about leveling. When I audition the AustinBuddy presets they sound bland and uninspiring. They do sound a lot better though when I turn the db levels of the amps up considerably (+6db or more). I have the opposite problem with presets from Burgs. When I load those my speakers (or headphones) almost blow up. I assume most of you use Studio monitors / headphones or FRFR-speakers.

So where do these differences come from? Everybody is so enthusiastic about the Austinbuddy presets, I ended up buying them. But was very underwhelmed until I yanked the db levels up considerably... Even the single coil boost solution in the AB presets does little.

FYI: i usually use (very good) studio headphones when I play. My studio speakers are Mackies. Input level is around noon, output level around one o'clock. The global output level is at +4db.
Maybe they're lower volume than Burg's presets

You have gain staged incorrectly.

The Amp LEVEL control has NO impact on the tone. None. It is exactly the same sound, just louder or quieter. My presets are leveled the same as the Factory Presets.

Go watch this video to understand the concepts behind gain-staging and leveling your presets.

if you add +6db more to my presets then they will clip going into a DAW.

Your playback system/power amp is what should be louder, not the preset levels.

So where do these differences come from?
You’re describing volume differences. @austinbuddy ‘s presets are designed to sound good with at least moderate amounts of volume. At low volume, you mostly hear the midrange. But as the volume comes up, your ears pick up all those other frequencies, and the tone really comes alive.

I learned this firsthand while beta-testing these presets in a 1000-seat venue. There were presets that sounded uninspiring at bedroom volume, but gave me goosebumps when pumped through the PA.

You’re describing volume differences. @austinbuddy ‘s presets are designed to sound good with at least moderate amounts of volume. At low volume, you mostly hear the midrange. But as the volume comes up, your ears pick up all those other frequencies, and the tone really comes alive.

I learned this firsthand while beta-testing these presets in a 1000-seat venue. There were presets that sounded uninspiring at bedroom volume, but gave me goosebumps when pumped through the PA.

Thanks for your feedback. I mostly play using sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones. Pardon my stupid questions (again, I have zero technical background) but does that mean I need a headphone preamp to increase the volume? Both input and output levels are set around noon.

Thanks for your feedback. I mostly play using sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones. Pardon my stupid questions (again, I have zero technical background) but does that mean I need a headphone preamp to increase the volume? Both input and output levels are set around noon.
Turn up the Output 1 knob on the front.

Any updates on how the new preset packs (i.e. Dream Rigs and Bass pack for AF3?) are coming Austin?

Thx!
Joce

Hi Joce -- Yes - on Dream Rigs for Fm3/Axe-Fx III, I have finished the first pass through everything, three banks total, now I'm doing the second pass with a CLR 10 feet away loud like club gig volume and I am playing with Irs and speaker Impedance curves to try to get the sound as close to a real amp in a room as I can. Also trying to line up scenes and various effects on/off. I have to rest my ears regularly so I can only do a few hours at a time each day.

This is taking longer than I expected so while I had targeted a May launch it may be June or sometime right after Memorial Day. I will say there is not much CPU memory left for other effects after you have a wah, drive block, filter, amp, cab, delay, and reverb, so you will have to customize other effects as you see fit within CPU limits on an FM3, but no problem on Axe-Fx III ....and I'll probably have to take more time to add Outputs 3 and 4 and other effects for that version, so that may be end of June...

I might release the FM3 version first and then upload the Axe-Fx III version a month later so it's right (customers get access to both versions -- three banks for each unit type -- in one product).

On 200+ Bass TonePack for Fm3/Axe-Fx III, that would be next up, Scott will come over and we'll work through it, but I need to get Dream Rigs for FM3 out/done first. Then Brit Rock Royalty #2 (Zep albums 5-9)...

Hi Joce -- Yes - on Dream Rigs for Fm3/Axe-Fx III, I have finished the first pass through everything, three banks total, now I'm doing the second pass with a CLR 10 feet away loud like club gig volume and I am playing with Irs and speaker Impedance curves to try to get the sound as close to a real amp in a room as I can. Also trying to line up scenes and various effects on/off. I have to rest my ears regularly so I can only do a few hours at a time each day.

This is taking longer than I expected so while I had targeted a May launch it may be June or sometime right after Memorial Day. I will say there is not much CPU memory left for other effects after you have a wah, drive block, filter, amp, cab, delay, and reverb, so you will have to customize other effects as you see fit within CPU limits on an FM3, but no problem on Axe-Fx III ....and I'll probably have to take more time to add Outputs 3 and 4 and other effects for that version, so that may be end of June...

I might release the FM3 version first and then upload the Axe-Fx III version a month later so it's right (customers get access to both versions -- three banks for each unit type -- in one product).

On 200+ Bass TonePack for Fm3/Axe-Fx III, that would be next up, Scott will come over and we'll work through it, but I need to get Dream Rigs for FM3 out/done first. Then Brit Rock Royalty #2 (Zep albums 5-9)...

Thx for the update AB!

I know you're a perfectionist and that's why we love your products!

We're still pretty much in lockdown mode here in Canada (Ontario) - so let's just say I have more time on my hands than usual.. so some new 'Axe-Fx goodies' would definitely be nice!

Cheers,
Joce

Everything seems to be working fine on firmware 12.08 and 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack here so far!

If you guys encounter anything to the contrary, email me at the heybuddy @ austin buddy.com address. Thanks!

Real progress on the forthcoming "Live Gold" TonePack with new presets for for both the FM3 and Axe-Fx III... hoping to have it out for public release before July 4th holiday weekend. Bank 1 (most of the Marshall style amps) is with the beta testers as a check.

Will keep you posted here. Back to the studio now!

Hi. I own your presets and they are amazing! Do you have a recommended preset for the VH balance tone?
What do you mean the VH "balance" tone?

Good EVH tone Amp models are the Brit Brown, the Atomica High (both the former have a n Eruption style scene), maybe the Cameron CCV-100, and of course the actual Peavey EVH III amps. I think if you look at the EVH Peavey amps in 1400+ Naked Amps on red channel there is an 'Unchained" scene.

Also you can get the Soldano SLO-100 to nail it with some work, something I'm doing in the Live Gold Tonepack coming soon.

Everything seems to be working fine on firmware 12.08 and 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack here so far!

If you guys encounter anything to the contrary, email me at the heybuddy @ austin buddy.com address. Thanks!

Real progress on the forthcoming "Live Gold" TonePack with new presets for for both the FM3 and Axe-Fx III... hoping to have it out for public release before July 4th holiday weekend. Bank 1 (most of the Marshall style amps) is with the beta testers as a check.

Will keep you posted here. Back to the studio now!

oh. this is really nice! i can hardly wait :)

Back
Top Bottom