Axe-Fx III and Headphones

Hmmm. I don't have open back headphones, and me thinks I might want to get some just to try it out. I use ATH 50s and they are great. Never had any issue with the sound at all... and they are comfortable enough for me. But open back seems like something I might want to try now.

But... for the $$$ ATH 50's are a solid choice from my perspective.

BTW, my 250 Ohm Beyer Dynamic 880 pros are only loud enough to use with the Axe 3 if I pull the jack out from the Axe headphone output about 1/4 of the way out. If I push it all the way in it’s all screwed up - very low volume and abnormally heavy on the effects, nothing like what is set on the patch. Very strange I have no idea what’s up with that. The only thing I can possibly think of is that the adapter jack which I need to use isn’t right. It’s a mini to 1/4” Stereo Adapter. Maybe I need a TS adapter instead.

BTW, my 250 Ohm Beyer Dynamic 880 pros are only loud enough to use with the Axe 3 if I pull the jack out from the Axe headphone output about 1/4 of the way out. If I push it all the way in it’s all screwed up - very low volume and abnormally heavy on the effects, nothing like what is set on the patch. Very strange I have no idea what’s up with that. The only thing I can possibly think of is that the adapter jack which I need to use isn’t right. It’s a mini to 1/4” Stereo Adapter. Maybe I need a TS adapter instead.
Sounds like you have a short in your headphone cable or the wrong plug on it.

Sounds like you have a short in your headphone cable or the wrong plug on it.
It’s weird. They work fine in my RME UFX but in the Axe they don’t have the same output. are there any settings in the axe for headphone output?

I have the 770’s too. Those work fine but they are 80 ohm.

It’s weird. They work fine in my RME UFX but in the Axe they don’t have the same output. are there any settings in the axe for headphone output?

I have the 770’s too. Those work fine but they are 80 ohm.
Are you merging L+R channels in the output settings?

I am using Audeze LCD-2. I cannot recommend anything on your price range, not even the ATH-M50x, because what you here on these cans when tweaking the Axe-FX does not translate acurately to what you hear on the studio monitors

Beyer Dynamic DT990 pro open back 250 ohm.

I dial in with these. They translate extremely well to a pair of Atomic CLR active wedges (original non-neo).

Originally bought when I got an Axe-Fx II. 7 years and thousands of hours on them.

I used them extensively with a Behinger X32 producer as well. Really great comfortable and decently priced.

...abnormally heavy on the effects, nothing like what is set on the patch.
There's nothing in the headphone routing that would give you a different mix from what's sent to Out1. There's something going on external to the Axe-Fx. What effects are you hearing more strongly?

I've been getting more and more into headphones for listening to music. Here's a quick hit of some I've tried:

Beyer DT880 - neutral midrange (slightly recessed), light on bass, boosted high treble

Sennheiser HD6xx (same as HD650) - neutral midrange (slightly forward), light on bass, rolled off high treble

Beyer DT770 - moderately scooped midrange, solid bass (not boomy), very boosted high treble

Audio Technica M40x/M50x - scooped/weird midrange, boomy bass, boosted treble

I think the Sennheiser 6xx and Beyer DT880 are both good choices, although it depends if you want a warmer treble (6xx) or boosted treble (880). The 6xx is $200-230 on Drop.com (which is a steal as the HD650 is a $400 headphone) and the 880 is available on Amazon for around $150 all the time.

I'm still tinkering with headphones and would like to try some others to get a compromise between the boosted treble and warm treble. But for guitar, the 6xx is nice and non fatiguing.

sounds similar to my issue which I shared in the "Amps and Cabs" sub-forum as "my headphones plugging failure" (cannot post the link somehow).

I had similar sound artifacts due to plugging TRRS (with mic) into a TRS adapter. You might need to check this type of inconsistency in the chain.

I had to cut out paper towel circles to block some of the treble on the 770. Those Beyer highs are pretty intense.

It might be my ears though...some tinnitus from years of gigging.

sounds similar to my issue which I shared in the "Amps and Cabs" sub-forum as "my headphones plugging failure" (cannot post the link somehow).

I had similar sound artifacts due to plugging TRRS (with mic) into a TRS adapter. You might need to check this type of inconsistency in the chain.

I just read your post. That is the exact problem I have(way too much Reverb - had to turn down the mix but with other headphones, even with an adapter were fine) except with the Beyerdynamics. I guess I just cant use those with the adapter which means I cant use them. That kind of sucks because they are so comfortable.

I just read your post. That is the exact problem I have(way too much Reverb - had to turn down the mix but with other headphones, even with an adapter were fine) except with the Beyerdynamics. I guess I just cant use those with the adapter which means I cant use them. That kind of sucks because they are so comfortable.
Somethings’s not right with the connection or the headphones. There’s no way the Axe-Fx is saying “He just plugged in the Beyers. Let’s give him extra reverb.”

If you have your Reverb panned to one side, and a faulty connector is feeding that side to both drivers, that could cause the problem you’re having.

I use my AT50's mainly but I worry that I'm not capturing the right details for guitar with them. In general with AT50s the lowend is... idk woofy? and the highs are recessed. Sometimes I plug my Grados in and the open nature and focus on highs is such a difference. The grados are falling apart though and not comfortable, not to mention fatuiging duriong long sessions. The 125i with the L pads is probably as bright as the prestige series gets so it's an exercise in torture after an hour of loud listening. So my options are dark and boxy or treble hell. That's a bit harsh. I like the detail in both sets but they have limits. I'm very interested in DT1990s but not sure I want to spend the money right now. When I do spring for them I just hope they are comfortable for long sessions.

Last edited:
I use my AT50's mainly but I worry that I'm not capturing the right details for guitar with them. In general with AT50s the lowend is... idk woofy? and the highs are recessed. Sometimes I plug my Grados in and the open nature and focus on highs is such a difference. The grados are falling apart though and not comfortable, not to mention fatuiging duriong long sessions. The 125i with the L pads is probably as bright as the prestige series gets so it's an exercise in torture after an hour of loud listening. So my options are dark and boxy or treble hell. That's a bit harsh. I like the detail in both sets but they have limits. I'm very interested in DT1990s but not sure I want to spend the money right now. When I do spring for them I just hope they are comfortable for long sessions.

Definitely check out the Beyer 880. If you like Grado treble, the Beyer is a notch smoother while still being clear, and the lows are definitely not boomy like the M50.

I'd really like to try the 880 and 990 back to back. I think I'd prefer the more open back 990. Part of me thinks I should avoid buying another midrange set and jump to the 1990s. But it's all luxury past what I have already so I'm trying to enjoy what I got since it technically still works.

Back
Top Bottom