Standing on the shoulders of GIANTS (more VH I & II content)!

R.D.

Power User
With just about everyone else working on a V.H. I & II preset, I thought I’d take my turn …. I don’t have the ability to record either an audio track or video ( sorry ! ), so you’ll have to load it up and try it for yourself ….

Here’s a block-by-block description of what’s in the preset !
  • Wah – I didn’t try to match any of Eddie’s Wah settings/sounds ! Truthfully …, I just never learned any of the riffs from songs where he used it …, so I’m not even able to make a judgement ! I just like a throaty sound from my wahs, so that’s what I went for …. The pedal is set up for Pedal 2 plugged directly into the Axe-Fx III ( you’ll probably need to re-set that for whatever pedal position you’re using …..
  • Phaser – from @guitarnerdswe ! This is absolutely Brilliant work …, very chewy just like the original pedal ! I think it’s the most up-to-date version from him as well …. fixed Phaser Preset below ....
  • Flanger – also from @guitarnerdswe ! More brilliant work ! I couldn’t even come close to this with just my ears ! In fact, I can’t imagine the amount of work that went into matching this, as well as the Phaser !
  • IR Player – no disrespect to @Admin M@ …, but the FET Preamp in the Drive Block doesn’t seem anywhere close to James Santiago’s IR of the EchoPlex EP-3 Preamp section ! At least not to my ears ( ? ) …. Matt said that if it were properly dialed-in, the Drive Block could probably perform even better than the IR …, but my 60 year old years just aren’t up to the task I guess ! "edit" I just attached James Santiago's IR of the Echoplex preamp to the post ! It's in Axe-Change, but now you don't have to search for it ....
  • AMP – 1959SLP Jump …, just like “the man” used to set it up back in the day …, everything dimed ! Except the Bass …, probably because my guitar is pretty warm sounding to begin with …. YMMV !
* Now if this happens to be too bright for your particular guitar and/or playback system, you’ve got a couple of options. 1st I’d turn off the “Cut” control and raise the Bass. If that doesn’t warm it up enough …, then just start bringing up the Normal Drive channel ( to taste ) …, those two things should get you where you want to be.

• CAB – Here’s where it got interesting ( as well as frustrating ) …. Like almost everyone, I like to blend IR’s. I go for a combination of an SM-57 & R121 whenever I can, so that’s where I started …. I think I auditioned almost every Greenback cab in the Axe-Fx III ! I came up with three combinations, all with varying degrees of high-end fizz.
  • Channel A – Factory 2 Cabs # 516 & 522 ( 4x12 70s GB 575A & 121A ). These produce the most-high end. The hi-cut is set at 10,K …, if the highs are too much just lower the Hi-Cut.
  • Channel B – Factory 2 Cabs # 703 & 704 ( 4x12 Fractal GB 57 & 121 1 ). These have less high-end, but don’t ‘bark’ quite as hard. The Hi-Cut is set at 12,K …, you can try to open that up even more, but because it’s already pretty high, it doesn’t have much more effect.
  • Channel C – Factory 2 Cabs # 757 & 759 ( 4x12 MAR-CB LYN 57 OH & 121 OH ). These have the least high-end. To the point that I needed to raise the Treble in the Preamp section of the Cab block to get it closer to what I was hearing with the other cabs ….
  • Also, I set the preamps on FET II …. No ‘real’ reason other than I read somewhere that the console at Sunset Sound had FET preamps in the channel strips ?
* I DO have a “user-Cab” that I prefer to the stock cab(s): It’s a combination of two ( 2 ) Ownhammer cabs. 1.) OH 412 MRBW RAW D57-V-00 and OH 412 MRBW RAW D57-V-Fred. I think that’s essentially a SM-57 on the speaker cone ( brightest position ) and another SM-57 “off-axis”. Blending them together really cuts down on the excess high-end ‘fizz’ ….

• PEQ – I lifted this from @phil92 ( his 1978v2 preset ), it’s subtle but very effective ….
  • Pitch – Simple Dual Pitch Detune -11 / +11 hard panned left & right. I actually like chorusing wo/ any of the ‘swoosh” ! This gets pretty close to the sound of Pretty Woman ( Diver Down ) !
  • Comp – I’ve got it set to an Optical Compressor w/ very little actual compression. Basically it’s just “there” to even out my erratic technique ( and I’ve read that Donn Landee used an LA-2A on Eddie’s guitar ? ). You’ll most likely need to adjust the threshold to fit your own playing style ….
  • Reverb – I used the Sun Plate. I always thought this was meant to be a recreation of the Reverb “room” at Sunset Studios ( ? ), plus it’s a little brighter than the other plate reverbs and the reverb in the recordings sounds pretty darn bright to me !
  • Delay 1 – this is from @guitarnerdswe too ! All I did was to turn down the Feedback 1 to approx. 10%. It cleans it up for me. But if you want the original, it’s in Channel D !
  • Mixer – I got this idea from @phil92 too ! I hard-pan the effects ( 100% right ), but not the guitar ( it’s only -60% or so left ), if you hard-pan the guitar it starts sounding really “metallic” to my ears ….
  • Enhancer – You don’t really need it …, but I like how it widens the stereo image ( in my headphones anyway ), and brightens up the tone just a bit too. If you like what it does, but it’s too bright, try backing off the depth to your taste.
  • Filter – I just use this to drop the volume by -3.0 dB for rhythm playing, then disengage it for leads ….

Finally …, almost daily I go back ‘n’ forth between the 1959SLP Jump and the Plexi 50W 6550 for the AMP Block as to which one is the closest to Eddie’s V.H. I / II tone ? To my ears, the 1959SLP has a little more mid-range push, but 50W 6650 is just a little smoother …. But truthfully, they BOTH have a very similar character, especially once you’ve made these changes: "edit" - I forgot to mention the 50W 6550 is channel B in the Amp block if you want to try it !

• Pwr Supply ( Variac ) = 72% - to simulate 90V ….
  • Pwr Supply ( Supply Sag ) = 5.00 on the 1959 SLP and 3.20 on the Plexi 6550 ( basically I just double the sag ).
  • Sepaker Imp. Curve = 4x12 Basketweave – seems to emphasize the mid-range just a little bit more ….
  • Out Comp ( Gain Enhancer ) = 2.00 – without this …, it doesn’t seem like the amps have enough gain, this brings it up to sound much more like the recordings.

Oh one more thing, my guitar is an Alder body Strat w/a Roasted Maple neck. The bridge pickup is a humbucker ( hot PAF ), but it's also slanted ... !

Have fun with it, and I hope it translates to your guitar/playback system like it does to mine !

Attachments

• VH Plexi factory cabs - fixed Phaser.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Echoplex EP-3 Preamp.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Thanks for the mention! I checked, and you actually don't have to latest version of the phaser. I'm pretty sure no more updates are going to happen at this point, so feel free to incorporate it if you want :) It's cool that you mentioned the "chewiness". It took a long time to figure out how to get the feel of the pedal, not just the sound.

Thanks for the mention! I checked, and you actually don't have to latest version of the phaser. I'm pretty sure no more updates are going to happen at this point, so feel free to incorporate it if you want :) It's cool that you mentioned the "chewiness". It took a long time to figure out how to get the feel of the pedal, not just the sound.

I'll definitely get the most recent version ! That's really AWESOME work !

New Preset w/ the fixed Phaser is attached in the 1st post !

THANKS again @guitarnerdswe ! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it !

Last edited:
I really love the callouts @R.D. -- none of us learn in a vacuum. Can't want to fire this up loud after work tonight.

Absolutely ! Give credit where it's due has always been my motto ..., but at the same time I'm not too proud that I can't make use of other's hard work when it benefits me ;) !

And I can't wait to hear how it translates for you ! I seem to have 'hit-'n'-miss' success with presets from others ( f.ex. - @Mark Day 's and @2112 's presets always work very well for me ..., some others not so much and I don't really know why ? )

nice one! Thanks for the shout out.

I have to explore the Sun Plate and the compressor, that does sound pretty cool. I also wasn't aware of the EP-3 IR I need to give this a shot, too!
Lots of coll new ideas to try, awesome!

I see you left the bias untouched; give a value of 0.7 or even 0.75 a go, to my ears that adds some more balls.

nice one! Thanks for the shout out.

I have to explore the Sun Plate and the compressor, that does sound pretty cool. I also wasn't aware of the EP-3 IR I need to give this a shot, too!
Lots of coll new ideas to try, awesome!

I see you left the bias untouched; give a value of 0.7 or even 0.75 a go, to my ears that adds some more balls.

THANKS ! I'll give it a go for sure !

Just tried this preset and I gotta say it sounds awesome! Definitely has some VH1 mojo going on. Well done pulling all the different pieces together. Phaser & flanger are great.

Just tried this preset and I gotta say it sounds awesome! Definitely has some VH1 mojo going on. Well done pulling all the different pieces together. Phaser & flanger are great.

I’m gonna try this one for sure. Thanks R.D.

Guitarzen,I loved your VH preset from 2016 for the AFX2....it would be really cool if you did an updated one for the III🤘😎

I’m gonna try this one for sure. Thanks R.D.

Guitarzen,I loved your VH preset from 2016 for the AFX2....it would be really cool if you did an updated one for the III🤘😎
Thanks Willowdale! It's really been interesting seeing all the different VH presets people are doing in the last few weeks. I broke out the Wolfgang guitar with Frankie pickup and jammed on some old VH, which I haven't done in long time. I've uploaded the different presets and need to spend some time digging into them and understanding the various tweaks. This one translated best to my particular rig, just some basic tweaks and it was really close to VH1, but I will spend some more time over the next few weeks tweaking and listening with fresh ears to see how close I can get. I'll post it when I get there.

Use fractool and convert it to axe fx 3 like I did. its easy

Yeah, I did that but it's not the same. Can't get it to sound quite as good. If you have it sounding great on the III, please let me try it :cool:

Your preset is sounding great by the way.....just had to make a couple very slight adjustments. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom