FM3 FAQ

Hi folks: l’m new here any any advice will help.

VERY IGNORANT bedroom player: got an FM3 coming and wondered: can I use a mixer with my FM3, or is that now unnecessary?

You didn’t say why you’re contemplating a mixer. The FM3 works with or without a mixer no problem. If you just want to plug directly into speakers or a power amp with a cabinet, no mixer is required.

H
You didn’t say why you’re contemplating a mixer. The FM3 works with or without a mixer no problem. If you just want to plug directly into speakers or a power amp with a cabinet, no mixer is required.

Hi: thank you so much!

I was thinking of a mixer because I was thinking of using a mic if I recorded; the headphone jack, and because the music store I used to go to that had and AX8 and FX II on display ran them through a mixer....I said I was ignorant...lol Sorry to waste time on the thread.

Would it be possible to assign the basic amp controls to an external midi controller? and then have them always accessible via the 5 pin midi input on the fm3?

How do I play along with songs and backing tracks?
It’s easy! You can connect your iOS, Android, PC, or Mac via USB and play through the FM3 audio device. Note that you may want to go to SETUP:I/O : USB and turn down the level initially for USB 1/2.

Hello, thanks for all the info. I’m really a newb when it comes to connecting to a computer... I’ll be ordering the fm3 without headphone out.

if I want to use the fm3 to play with backing tracks or to record can I use it? I mean where would I connect my headphones? To the fm3? To the computer? if fm3 would I need a headphone amp?

I know this is very basic but I really don’t know

Hello, thanks for all the info. I’m really a newb when it comes to connecting to a computer... I’ll be ordering the fm3 without headphone out.

if I want to use the fm3 to play with backing tracks or to record can I use it? I mean where would I connect my headphones? To the fm3? To the computer? if fm3 would I need a headphone amp?

I know this is very basic but I really don’t know

It’s best if you let us know what hardware and software you have, what you’ve got experience with doing already, and anything else you’re trying to accomplish with this setup.

It’s best if you let us know what hardware and software you have, what you’ve got experience with doing already, and anything else you’re trying to accomplish with this setup.
I own a laptop and will soon have an fm3. I want to play at night with backing tracks and my fm3

Hello. Thanks for all the great info. When you talk about importing user irs that have been Tone matched, when that is loaded into the user cabs do you then put it into a cab block on the grid as there is no ir player on the fm3?
Thanks, Rod

I own a laptop and will soon have an fm3. I want to play at night with backing tracks and my fm3

And what software do you have for recording and playing backing tracks? What experience do you have recording and playing to backing tracks already?

Hello. Thanks for all the great info. When you talk about importing user irs that have been Tone matched, when that is loaded into the user cabs do you then put it into a cab block on the grid as there is no ir player on the fm3?
Thanks, Rod

Yes sir!

What about recording software?

BTW, this would go quicker if you'd answer all the questions asked instead of making me ask questions repeatedly.

Ok thanks for your patience.

I just want to play with backing tracks on youtube. Maybe do some recording on Reaper. I have used reaper before with an eleven rack connected via usb and I plugged the headphones on the 11R jack. The FM3 has no HP jack so I want to know how I could hear my guitar and whatever is playing on the laptop (youtube, a song on a media player, etc). Not sure if I have to connect the headphones on the pc or if I can use one of the outputs (wich one??) of the FM3 and in that case if I will need a headphone amp.

Ok thanks for your patience.

I just want to play with backing tracks on youtube. Maybe do some recording on Reaper. I have used reaper before with an eleven rack connected via usb and I plugged the headphones on the 11R jack. The FM3 has no HP jack so I want to know how I could hear my guitar and whatever is playing on the laptop (youtube, a song on a media player, etc). Not sure if I have to connect the headphones on the pc or if I can use one of the outputs (wich one??) of the FM3 and in that case if I will need a headphone amp.

You could get a headphone amp for probably $30-40. But then all you've got is a headphone amp. I would recommend getting a Soundcraft Notepad series mixer. The Notepad-5 will do all you need and provide more flexibility. It's a bit more money at $109. The Notepad 8fx or 12fx are a bit more but still under $200. With any of these you've got numerous ways to hook things up:
  • Using the FM3 as the interface, you can use it as a headphone amplifier, plus you can connect speakers at the same time without any cable swapping.
  • Using the Soundcraft Notepad as an audio interface, you can record different/multiple things easily because you've got a mic preamp (or 4).
  • If you've got some other folks you want to jam with, there's enough IO on even the Notepad 5 to have another line in device and a mic in addition to your FM3.
  • etc.
My living room/laptop recording setup, has a mess of stuff. I currently use a Yamaha MG mixer which is great but I am thinking of grabbing the Notepad 12fx for $179 to make things easier for me.

Hi hippietim: I got a Yamaha MG06: i was just planning to use it for the headphone jack, and yes, maybe my drum machine and some backing, but mostly just jamming around: that’s OK for just listening too, right?

Hi hippietim: I got a Yamaha MG06: i was just planning to use it for the headphone jack, and yes, maybe my drum machine and some backing, but mostly just jamming around: that’s OK for just listening too, right?

Absolutely - I'm currently using an MG10 and it's a great little mixer. I would actually like to have USB I/O on the mixer. The Soundcraft Notepad 12fx is $179 with a 4x4 USB interface whereas the Yamaha MG10XU is $209 with a 2x2 USB interface.

Absolutely - I'm currently using an MG10 and it's a great little mixer. I would actually like to have USB I/O on the mixer. The Soundcraft Notepad 12fx is $179 with a 4x4 USB interface whereas the Yamaha MG10XU is $209 with a 2x2 USB interface.

What would the USB add to it?

What would the USB add to it?
You'd be able to mix in audio from your computer without having to run an analog out from the computer into the mixer. And you'd gain the ability to record channels independently in a DAW on the computer via USB.

@hippietim good find with that Soundcraft. I think I might pick one up to replace my aging Focusrite.

Back
Top Bottom