Is arrived the time for Axe-Fx III to profile an amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna guess something that extends the profiling to guitar pickups, and all the bidirectional impedance characteristics between amps, effects and pickups.

Since we're throwing our guesses into the wind: Something that's like profiling but involves turning all the different controls while profiling so that the knobs behave like the actual amp, rather than the weird EQ stuff Kempers do.

Or maybe you set each knob to different points and then it uses machine learning (gotta sneak in those IT buzzwords) to figure out every point in-between.

Personally, I think the days of mimicing classic tube amps are behind us. It's been done. Let's move on. If that's what you want out of a modeler, fine, you have it. The technology should now be focusing how to enable musicians to create wonderful new sounds that go beyond what can be found in existing tube amps.

This was all the way on the 1st page, but I'm with this guy. We're only limited by imagination, experimentation, and some 'buckle down and tweak'.

Always happy with more options, but many of the tones I go for are clearly doubled/tripled and/or other amps in the mix in the studio. I believe that most of the limitations of aping another's tone is all about fingers/guitar (maybe the cab block) than any failings of the amps in the Axe III.

And is Dubstep still a thing?

R

I know we're way off topic from now, but to address the OP - we already have everything in the Axe to "profile" amps, it just requires us to manually select the underlying model before tone matching. Since there is component based modelling in the Axe-Fx the results are, IMO, far more accurate than a "profile" as we can set our initial conditions much closer to begin with.

I outline a few different strategies in this video.

I’m smarter to ask what it may be, but the question I have is will this eventually apply to the axefxIII?
I'm hopeful, FWIW... Seems like the III should have the horsepower for just about anything. And I personally don't wanna drop more $ on a new box. so there's that. :D

If the matching process requires new H/W to measure the amp, I would be perfectly happy with a profile player block in the AF3. ;)

I'm hopeful, FWIW... Seems like the III should have the horsepower for just about anything. And I personally don't wanna drop more $ on a new box. so there's that. :D

If the matching process requires new H/W to measure the amp, I would be perfectly happy with a profile player block in the AF3. ;)
To play Kemper profiles? I am perfectly happy with Fractal amp models.

To play Kemper profiles? I am perfectly happy with Fractal amp models.
No, man, Cliff said he had a patent in the works that is along the lines of profiling earlier in the thread. We're speculating on whether it would be new hardware or a new capability for the III. So I was saying even if it is a new product maybe there could be a player block on the III that is compatible with the format of some theoretical FPA or whatever. So, these would be "Fractal" profiles. The Kemper is old news, who wants that? :p

I have something even better. Waiting for my patent approval.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great news...As a registered patent attorney, wish to know appln. number in the USPTO,
and also it applicable to FM3 as well as my Fx3...

IMG_0327.JPG

One thing I do like about profiling specific amps is that is gives a good point of reference for people new to the platform. For me as a buyer, Fractal's first job was demonstrating that I wouldn't lose anything I've had for decades. Plugging in to get a credible basic JCM800, dual rec, or Fender Twin sound with effects chains I've come to know and love over the years wasn't a small deal. My sound and style was built around this stuff, and I just need it there. And passably accurate.

Once that box is checked, now we can talk about all of the other possibilities. Every piece of gear I've ever owned has had flaws or limitations that the Fractal platform can eliminate - whether it's the noise of a particular thing, the behavior of one parameter knob on a pedal, the volume needed to push this or that, or even the space it takes up. I'm all about playing a "better" Fender Twin.

But getting someone like me in the door, with 30+ years playing behind me and certain strong preferences, whose every guitar hero established their sound without any of it. And who has a natural aversion to reading long product manuals [side note: pay extra for Staples to print yours in color, not B&W] ...t hose models that you must work incredibly hard on really were the welcome sign for me. I know I'm covered, and it also demonstrates an extreme attention to detail and engineering competence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom