Debating returning my FM3 and using my AX8. Thoughts?

csassakb

Inspired
Hello all

I hope you are safe and healthy

I got the FM3 and there are many things I like about it. I do really like the layout of the AX8, more buttons, and of course the general knobs on top for bass, treble, etc

Before I return my FM3 I wanted to ask any of you who have made the switch from AX8 to FM3 if there are any tricks or things you learned on the FM3 to adjust not having all the buttons the AX8 has?

I am asking in case I missed something or didn't think of something. I don't want to return the FM3 and then a month or two later, discover some trick or thing I should have done and then I buy it again LOL

Part of me is baffled Fractal went this direction with only three buttons. I know it only takes holding a button to get to scenes, presets or whatever, but I really do like the AX8 layout and way it works. However, I see many people saying they love the FM3 more

Just looking for general feedback

Curt

the Default Layouts of the FM3 were designed to let you access everything in a separated fashion. this separation of the functions (Presets, Scenes, Channels, etc) slows down the work flow. but it's the only way to access everything with 3 switches.

do you need access to everything? do you need access to the specific things in each Default Layout?

most don't. it's an example.

definitely adjust the Layouts to what you need. i started an article outlining some of this here: https://www.axefxtutorials.com/fm3/fm3-tts/fm3-footswitch-design-and-concepts/

if you follow along, you'll see how you can progress from something simple to more complex. i have a video planned as soon as i have time to make it that should be easier to follow.

you can also add one or 2 (up to 4) simple footswitches to do things like change Layouts/Views to reduce having to Hold, or even put specific commands on the externals (all using the Stand-In switch concept). if you don't use an expression pedal, you can add 4 simple switches increasing the count to 7.

the FM3 is great. you can do a lot with the 3 onboard. but sticking to the Default Layouts might not be the solution for many. just getting to the tuner takes 4 or 5 button presses including Holds. just move the functions you need to Layout 1, and go from there, expanding to other Views or Layouts as needed for more functions.

The Performance page is coming to the FM3.

That will allow you to assign up to 10 parameters for instance access and adjustments using the 5 knobs. Once that is implemented, you will not miss the dedicated AX8 knobs for bass, treble, etc. in fact, this is better because you can choose the parameters that you want to access.

There’s also a second per-preset performance page. So, ultimately you have instant access to 20 parameters you commonly access without navigating through the layout to access the block and parameter.

Personally, I hated the AX8 UI and find the FM3 much more flexible and easier to work with. YMMV...

I have added a two button external switch. I rarely used more than 5 switches on my AX8.
With the new FM3 setup I use Switches 1 & 3 hold for preset inc/dec. Switch 2 hold gets me the tuner.
Switches 1-5 tap give me scenes 1-5. I love this setup. I love the improved FM3 front panel access scheme.
I love the expanded amps, effects and cabs. I love having 4 channels. Plus it sounds noticeably better than the AX8.
No way would I go back to the AX8.

Focus on how you can adapt it to your needs, rather than on the fact it has fewer switches.

The Performance page is coming to the FM3.

That will allow you to assign up to 10 parameters for instance access and adjustments using the 5 knobs. Once that is implemented, you will not miss the dedicated AX8 knobs for bass, treble, etc. in fact, this is better because you can choose the parameters that you want to access.

There’s also a second per-preset performance page. So, ultimately you have instant access to 20 parameters you commonly access without navigating through the layout to access the block and parameter.
Performance page? In the FM3 edit, or do you mean in the actual unit? I am not familiar with the Performance page

I would guess if I purchase the FM6 or the extension buttons I can program them anyway I want

On the actual unit. Look of up in the AxeFX 3 forum.

You can configure buttons any way you want, both on the FM3 and FC6.

Edit: I’m pretty sure @2112 had a video showing the performance pages, but I can’t find it. Maybe he’ll post a link.

Last edited:
I have added a two button external switch. I rarely used more than 5 switches on my AX8.
With the new FM3 setup I use Switches 1 & 3 hold for preset inc/dec. Switch 2 hold gets me the tuner.
Switches 1-5 tap give me scenes 1-5. I love this setup. I love the improved FM3 front panel access scheme.
I love the expanded amps, effects and cabs. I love having 4 channels. Plus it sounds noticeably better than the AX8.
No way would I go back to the AX8.

Focus on how you can adapt it to your needs, rather than on the fact it has fewer switches.
thank you. What external footswitch are you using? The BOSS ?

I think some of that you need to determine for yourself. However, here's my two cents.

When the AX8 was launched, it cost several hundred more than the FM3. If you need more buttons, use the money saved to buy an FC-6. The two together make one of the most powerful setups on the market today. There is nothing else at that price point that can even touch it. While the physical knobs an the AX8 were nice, the FM3 simply doesn't need them. The user interface is so much better now that you can easily make the adjustments without them. The FM3 is also a brand new product that will receive updates for years to come.

All that said, the AX8 is still amazing. If you prefer it for whatever reason, that's all that matters. Again, that is a question that only you can answer for yourself.

I think some of that you need to determine for yourself. However, here's my two cents.

When the AX8 was launched, it cost several hundred more than the FM3. If you need more buttons, use the money saved to buy an FC-6. The two together make one of the most powerful setups on the market today. There is nothing else at that price point that can even touch it. While the physical knobs an the AX8 were nice, the FM3 simply doesn't need them. The user interface is so much better now that you can easily make the adjustments without them. The FM3 is also a brand new product that will receive updates for years to come.

All that said, the AX8 is still amazing. If you prefer it for whatever reason, that's all that matters. Again, that is a question that only you can answer for yourself.
Maybe I haven 't spent enough time on the unit

For me, adding a two button switch to change views combined with layouts, hold functions, and 4 channels is more flexible that the AX8 was. I have an FC6, have experimented with the OMG9 configuration, and will not be using it with the FM3.

IMO, if you like working with scenes, adapting to the FM3 is easier than it is if you like more of a virtual stomp-box workflow. In the case, more switches is definitely better.

For me, adding a two button switch to change views combined with layouts, hold functions, and 4 channels is more flexible that the AX8 was. I have an FC6, have experimented with the OMG9 configuration, and will not be using it with the FM3.

IMO, if you like working with scenes, adapting to the FM3 is easier than it is if you like more of a virtual stomp-box workflow. In the case, more switches is definitely better.
thank you. What two button switch did you buy?

I think you would regret returning it to be honest. Even if you don't want to pick up an FC-6, you can always grab a two button footswitch as others have said.
Thank you. If I were to buy some random switches, is there a particular kind I need? Like maybe that one BOSS that is white with two buttons?

I think you would regret returning it to be honest. Even if you don't want to pick up an FC-6, you can always grab a two button footswitch as others have said.
Thank you. If I were to buy some random switches, is there a particular kind I need? Like maybe that one BOSS that is white with two buttons?

I already had two Boss FS-5U switches. A y-cable TRS to two TS connections is required. Both switches operate on one pedal input. On the other pedal input I have a Fractal expression pedal.

I'm coming from an AX8...I'm not returning my FM3 but I don't think the 3 switches is enough and I don't want the size of an FC6 added to my pedalboard...I think I'll end up with a 3-6 button midi footswitch...various manufactures.
I'm almost there with the 3 switches but too much tap dancing so far...I'm digging the FM3 and the interface...not selling my AX8 either.

Back
Top Bottom