Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're gonna see a sudden spike as soon as the 64,000 pending tests in the California bottleneck are analyzed in the lab... there's probably other states with the same sort of situation too. Also, testing capacity continues to ramp up across the USA. Again, I'll say, Total Cases data provides very poor data quality if analyzing the slope to glean information.

The data set that doesn't lie as much is the critical/serious cases or deaths. I've sent multiple messages to the admins at the WorldOMeters.info site to add the critical/serious chart to their individual country pages... they currently have worldwide critical/serious chart, and they are collecting data on a country by country basis for critical/serious, but for some inexplicable reason, they are not exposing the critical/serious country data in charts... it is so frustrating to me!!.. it's the most valuable data set to evaluate the virus trajectory and how our actions are effecting it.

If anyone else feels up to it, please go to the WorldOMeters.info site, and click contact at the bottom, and request that "Serious/Critical" data and charts be added to their individual country by country pages. They're collecting the data, they're just not exposing it currently on a country-by-country basis.

https://www.worldometers.info/contact/

I'm considering using the web.archive.org site to do it manually, but will be several hours of tedious data entry work.

Here's the worldwide serious/critical curve as of today:

covid19-serious-critical-cases-2020-03-31.jpg

Here's some great simulations that give you a sense of why combining social distancing, limiting the amount of visits to a central location (like super market, etc) and why testing is really important.

Once you can get the numbers down enough, you should use that opportunity to test and contact trace to isolate cases (what should have been done since the beginning) so there's limited spread.

Amazing that so many people still need to be convinced when it was already
proven back in 1918 that social distancing works.

1918-flu-death-rate-stl-v-phl.jpg

Amazing that so many people still need to be convinced when it was already
proven back in 1918 that social distancing works.
Well, to be fair,
I'm sure that all the people who were alive in 1918 to witness that lesson firsthand,
and old enough to grasp its significance,
and who are still with us today,
with that memory still vivid,
are completely convinced.

;)

Last edited:
There's a lot of confusion about this.
  • aerosol is the propellant. In the case of the virus your lungs exploding air out of your nose or mouth
  • the mucous that gets expelled is what carries the germs
While the spray is in the air it's transmissible. When it falls to a surface that surface is now contaminated.
From my understanding, the longer the surface stays moist the easier the virus can be transmitted.

Covid-19 is not airborne. As soon as the mucous falls, the germs fall along with it.
If it was airborne, it would tell your snot to take a hike and then fly around on its own for a while.

Measles germs can be in the air for upwards of 3 hours after a sneeze! :oops:

EDIT: @jon beat me to it!

EDIT2: Chris Cuomo now has it.
I wouldn’t be so sure if that. They are still studying it and tomorrow they could tell you, oops, looks like it stays in the air for a bit, maybe not like the measles but still something to watch out for.
Those people in choir practice were not showing any symptoms, not coughing and getting saliva and mucus everywhere. Additionally, they were trying to maintain distance between themselves. I don’t think they fully understand how that spread happened.

They are still studying it and tomorrow they could tell you, oops, looks like it stays in the air for a bit.

If there was even a 1% chance that the virus was airborne (able to fly fully on its own) you would not see daily WH briefings.
Let alone with both the #1 and #2 guys in the same room.

Those people in choir practice were not showing any symptoms, not coughing and getting saliva and mucus everywhere. Additionally, they were trying to maintain distance between themselves. I don’t think they fully understand how that spread happened.

#1 Everyone involved in that choir practice fiasco was dumb in the first place for even attending.
#2 Washing your hands before entering and staying 6 feet apart doesn't guarantee anything.
#3 They were all SINGING! Talking while 6 feet apart is bad enough if someone is infected.

Last edited:
Would be a good idea if they created Covid19 superteam. If your in the medical community, been exposed to the virus and wont get it again?, could follow the epicenter.

Well, that should have been an obvious (albeit small) upside to all this... with all the social distancing, the flu is going to be less impactful right now. huh.
Yeah, this is something I've been hoping will happen as well - all the social distancing could likely mean a VERY significant reduction in all seasonal illness, or easily communicable ones and that makes me happy :)

Yeah, this is something I've been hoping will happen as well - all the social distancing could likely mean a VERY significant reduction in all seasonal illness, or easily communicable ones and that makes me happy :)

My wife and I were just talking about this. Self-distancing is going to become the norm
for many. Especially us older folk.

My wife and I were just talking about this. Self-distancing is going to become the norm
for many. Especially us older folk.
I been social distancing my whole life.
Like the child of a famous person.
My favorite show growing up was Grizzly Adams.
In this new world... I am already strong.
I'm a social distancing kind of musician.
I'm not a musical exhibitionist, or sharer.

#1 Everyone involved in that choir practice fiasco was dumb in the first place for even attending.
#2 Washing your hands before entering and staying 6 feet apart doesn't guarantee anything.
#3 They were all SINGING! Talking while 6 feet apart is bad enough if someone is infected.

Yup that was a terrible, TERRIBLE idea! Could well cost some of them their lives!

I understand that people feel the need to try to do what they can if possible, but it's obvious that what they need to do is STAY AT HOME

It's funny, I am a semi-essential employee here and I WANT to be home, yet there are so many who are not taking things seriously and are still doing silly things :(

AI tool predicts which coronavirus patients get deadly 'wet lung'
Doctors are learning on the fly about COVID-19, and one AI tool appears able to help steer them in the right direction.

The team applied a machine-learning algorithm to data from 53 coronavirus patients across two hospitals in Wenzhou, China, finding that changes in three features - levels of the liver enzyme alanine aminotransferase (ALT), reported body aches, and haemoglobin levels - were most accurately predictive of subsequent severe disease.​
Using this information along with other factors, the tool was able to predict risk of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) with up to 80 percent accuracy.​
By contrast, characteristics that were considered to be hallmarks of COVID-19, such as a particular pattern in lung images called "ground-glass opacity," fever, and strong immune responses, were not useful in predicting which of the patients with initially mild symptoms would get ARDS.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom