Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen. Chloroquine and all it's derivatives clearly have some effect on early onset cases. Not all by any means, but it does help some people.

Nobody ever said it was the cure (outside of the un-educated), but there is some efficacy in alleviation of early onset symptoms. Does it help? I don't know. It still smells like snake oil to me, but it does seem like it works in some cases. Again, no cure, but if can hold off the worst of the disease while the body can garner a fight, then it's a win.

R

Placebo effect maybe ...
The performed studies with this substance were not scientific. It would be nice if this stuff works, but all data that I know is faulty ...

I think the worst aspect of Covid-19 is how you can carry and spread it around for well over a week before
you feel any symptoms.

Sickness, dead... and we shall also add the Mass Exodus. Have a look to this video:

That has made the lockdown totally useless

Here in Thailand there has also been migration of daily wage workers from Bangkok but, unlike the big cities in India, there was transportation available for everyone

Last edited:
Sickness, dead... and we shall also add the Mass Exodus. Have a look to this video:

That has made the lockdown totally useless

Here in Thailand there has also been migration of daily wage workers from Bangkok but, unlike the big cities in India, there was transportation available for everyone

If that video is any indicator, Covid-19 will ravage India very quickly because leaders have underestimated how desperate the poor are and what they’re willing to do.

If that video is any indicator, Covid-19 will ravage India very quickly because leaders have underestimated how desperate the poor are and what they’re willing to do.

Huge population and huge population density relative to landmass is a Covid-19 nightmare scenario just waiting to happen.

I think the worst aspect is that people get very sick and die.

tenor.gif

3/22/ to 3/30

s0yJUO6.jpg

Last edited:

There we go with the scary red blobs again. Here, lemme zoom into my home state so you can see a more realistic representation of the number of cases:
B5B92F15-1C88-41B3-8841-3912543DE79D.jpeg
West Virginia currently has 145 confirmed cases. But JHU’s map would lead you to believe ever person in the state has it.

There we go with the scary red blobs again.

3/22 total confirmed cases in the US: 33,276
3/30 total confirmed cases in the US: 101,739

And that map you posted is scary as sh*t.
All those little red blobs had 2 weeks to infect their neighbors before they got diagnosed.
Get use to bigger red blobs. They're headed your way unfortunately.
Stay well!

Last edited:
Don't like pictures? How about numbers?
3/22 total confirmed cases in the US: 33,276
3/30 total confirmed cases in the US: 101,739

And that map you posted is scary as sh*t.
All those little red blobs had 2 weeks to infect their neighbors before they got diagnosed.
Get use to bigger red blobs. They're headed your way unfortunately.
Stay well!

My point is that those maps are very misleading when viewed as a whole. The focus should be on the numbers, not the graphical representation.

My point is that those maps are very misleading when viewed as a whole. The focus should be on the numbers, not the graphical representation.

Understood. I think when John Hopkins started they didn't realize how fast it would explode.
They should have started with smaller blobs on day 1. :(

There we go with the scary red blobs again. Here, lemme zoom into my home state so you can see a more realistic representation of the number of cases:
West Virginia currently has 145 confirmed cases. But JHU’s map would lead you to believe ever person in the state has it.
You can't fight what you can't see. It's easier to "see" the virus in a small USA rural town IF you have adequate testing, which we don't. Without adequate testing and targeted stay-at-home, the fallback position is massive stay-at-home. The next fallback is full quarantine.

Many rural areas are already part of the first fallback: massive stay-at-home. A key problem with that is local health systems are sized to population whether 2,000 or 2,000,000. That means without adequate testing rural towns will likely become miniature New Yorks because they're hunting the virus blind and ratio of beds to people I'm guessing is similar. Factor in local ages, health, funding health of those small hospitals, their position in priority list for supplies and ventilators...it can add up to near, same or worse than NY on a miniature scale.

What is disturbing about the map of your home state is the distribution of red dots. Probably the smartest thing to do to save small towns in rural USA is what they did in China: full quarantine, no one in, no one out except core essentials.

In the USA however there is a huge problem with quarantine -- the distribution of the red dots. Quarantine, the last fallback position, doesn't work if there are red dots outside the quarantine.

We blew our opportunity to hunt the virus and fence it in with targeted stay-at-home. Then we blew our opportunity for early fallback to stay-at-home. Add those two up and we've already blown our opportunity for the last fallback position of quarantine.

If this were a military theatre, the first generals would be gone, and we'd be well into firing the second set of generals.

Last edited:
I think the worst aspect is that people get very sick and die.
Well, yes, naturally. Nobody will deny that.

Still, I found myself nodding firmly at @Donnie B.'s original statement:
I think the worst aspect of Covid-19 is how you can carry and spread it around for well over a week before
you feel any symptoms.
Ebola and COVID-19 are both very bad things. With both, people get very sick and die.

But the West African Ebola outbreak killed 11,310 from 2014 to 2016. This COVID-19 outbreak has killed, what, 40,000 people worldwide, in only 3 months? Probably 20 million before the year is out?

Success at spreading has made SARS-CoV-2 the champion killer that it is. And that success at spreading is a function of how it is infectious without immediately being debilitating.

So, yep, the horrible part is the people getting sick and dying: But the horse that pale rider is riding in on is the asymptomatic transmission.

This is great evidence to show what I've been telling people here all the time - it's not 'airborne' like say measles or something but it's spread via air - a cough or sneeze will have particles lingering for roughly 3-4 hrs. Just normal breathing is likely to exhale moisture containing the virus, coughing or sneezing will contain much larger droplets with more virii concentration, allowing a faster spread or more likely infection.

I work in the iron and steel industry. Particles of visible steel or iron dust have an obviously much greater weight than that of an invisible virus just about 125nm wide

Just stirring up some dust leaves the particles in the air for quite some time. Transfer points and anywhere the dust can be disturbed leaves the dust in the air for sometimes hours if the air is still.

Make your own conclusions

Report on possible aerosol spread at a choir practice.

There's a lot of confusion about this.
  • aerosol is the propellant. In the case of the virus your lungs exploding air out of your nose or mouth
  • the mucous that gets expelled is what carries the germs
While the spray is in the air it's transmissible. When it falls to a surface that surface is now contaminated.
From my understanding, the longer the surface stays moist the easier the virus can be transmitted.

Covid-19 is not airborne. As soon as the mucous falls, the germs fall along with it.
If it was airborne, it would tell your snot to take a hike and then fly around on its own for a while.

Measles germs can be in the air for upwards of 3 hours after a sneeze! :oops:

EDIT: @jon beat me to it!

EDIT2: Chris Cuomo now has it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom